The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi I can't decide between Lancaster and Keele

16 points in total for GCSE
AAAA for AS
A*A*A for prediction
Very good PS and long term voluntary work (4 years)

Help please :\

Also, does anyone know if liverpool and lancaster does dissection? thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by SylveeDiggs

AAAA for AS
A*A*A for prediction

'Very good PS'? I'm afraid you have no way of knowing that, you just feel you have a strong personal statement.
And if you apply to Lancaster you will be rejected because the cut off for Liverpool & Lancaster was 17 points at GCSE. However, Keele will love the fact you've been volunteering for so long, so you'd do better there.

AAAA for AS
A*A*A for prediction

Yeah basically we have this place called HARC (Human Anatomy Resource Centre) where you you get to handle Human Tissues and get work and stuff. There is no dissection here.
Original post by MJHERBZ
'Very good PS'? I'm afraid you have no way of knowing that, you just feel you have a strong personal statement.
And if you apply to Lancaster you will be rejected because the cut off for Liverpool & Lancaster was 17 points at GCSE. However, Keele will love the fact you've been volunteering for so long, so you'd do better there.

I got the Imperial admissions lady to review it so yeah :smile: and is there a chance it'd go down to 16 this year? I'm just worried cos so many people are applying to keele
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
At Liverpool, they do prosection.

Thanks, do you know about lancaster?
Original post by planetconwy1
Yeah basically we have this place called HARC (Human Anatomy Resource Centre) where you you get to handle Human Tissues and get work and stuff. There is no dissection here.

Reply 106
I got the Imperial admissions lady to review it so yeah :smile: and is there a chance it'd go down to 16 this year? I'm just worried cos so many people are applying to keele

That doesn't mean another medical school will find it as good, they each have pretty specific criteria when it comes to scoring the PS and it's really difficult to try and address them all. Nevertheless, its good that you've got some positive feedback for it.

I don't know, to be completely honest. Last year was the most competitive yet but there's every chance this year could be more competitive still. Personally, I'd never hang my hopes on a cut-off being lowered, I can't think of one instance where it's gone that way :/
Original post by MJHERBZ
That doesn't mean another medical school will find it as good, they each have pretty specific criteria when it comes to scoring the PS and it's really difficult to try and address them all. Nevertheless, its good that you've got some positive feedback for it.

I don't know, to be completely honest. Last year was the most competitive yet but there's every chance this year could be more competitive still. Personally, I'd never hang my hopes on a cut-off being lowered, I can't think of one instance where it's gone that way :/

damn I really wanna go lancaster :frown: thanks though
Reply 108
Can I get some help to make up my mind, and be perfectly honest please!

A-levels
Chemistry- Predicted A
Biology- Predicted A
ICT- Predicted A*/A
Maths- Predicted A*

GCSEs - 4 A*s, 6 A's and a B

UKcat score of 625

Work Experience in hospital/GP/nursing home. Also got good extra curricular...DoE, etc.

Would I have a good chance of getting in? Applying on Monday so need to make up my mind!
Got my confirmation letter today.
Reply 110
On Liverpool's website it says they accept Access courses, but the one I am doing is not listed there so do you think it would be stupid for me to apply?
Reply 111
Original post by chats4england
Got my confirmation letter today.

hey, what do you mean by confirmation letter, is it the one that starts off with, "We are delighted to have received"??

:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
17...? worth applying... or
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
If I were you and if you ask my opinion, I'd apply for both 4-year and 5-year at Liverpool if you're a hundred per cent decided you want to study at Liverpool for medicine.
It says on the admissions page that those with honours degree may wish to send the admissions tutor a copy of your CV so they can make a pre-application comment. Their comment would kind of help you determine/gauge whether you stand a good chance of getting in or not. Speak to them. :smile:

Where does it say this, been trying to find it..
Many thanks :smile:
So I was just reading this from last years Liverpool Medicine Applicants 2011:

Originally Posted by abdul786_786
I have an interview at liverpool next week. what sort of questions do they usually ask?

Reply posted by 123trident
The first question is 'Are you in Liverpool?'. The second is more of a task. You have to eat a book titled 'Brain Damage'. The third and the final question is the most difficult yet - 'Describe the anatomy of a Pokemon and why, when they attack with the most fatal weapons such as electrocution (Pickachu) and flamethrowers (Charizard), the other Pokemon don't die?'

You just gotta work through the medical interview prep questions systematically and I'm sure you'll pull through.

Good luck man.

Ermm okay....:confused:
Original post by groovyangel2008
So I was just reading this from last years Liverpool Medicine Applicants 2011:

Originally Posted by abdul786_786
I have an interview at liverpool next week. what sort of questions do they usually ask?

Reply posted by 123trident
The first question is 'Are you in Liverpool?'. The second is more of a task. You have to eat a book titled 'Brain Damage'. The third and the final question is the most difficult yet - 'Describe the anatomy of a Pokemon and why, when they attack with the most fatal weapons such as electrocution (Pickachu) and flamethrowers (Charizard), the other Pokemon don't die?'

You just gotta work through the medical interview prep questions systematically and I'm sure you'll pull through.

Good luck man.

Ermm okay....:confused:

I do not remember this... :zomg:
Reply 116
sending my application form off tomorrow and im still unsure between liverpool and leeds

GCSE: 10A* and 2A
AS: AAAA
A2: A*A*AB

2 weeks work exp in hospital
1 week work exp in GP surgery
6 months volunteeting with adults with learning disabilities
mentored year 7 pupils in science

i'm a re-applicant, during my gap year i will be working as a domiciliary carer and i'm also doing a 2 week placement in st lucia through Gap Medics

can anyone give me and idea where i'll have the best chance of getting an interview, liverpool or leeds?
Reply 117
Original post by H-22
sending my application form off tomorrow and im still unsure between liverpool and leeds

GCSE: 10A* and 2A
AS: AAAA
A2: A*A*AB

2 weeks work exp in hospital
1 week work exp in GP surgery
6 months volunteeting with adults with learning disabilities
mentored year 7 pupils in science

i'm a re-applicant, during my gap year i will be working as a domiciliary carer and i'm also doing a 2 week placement in st lucia through Gap Medics

can anyone give me and idea where i'll have the best chance of getting an interview, liverpool or leeds?

I applied to Leeds last year, they'd love your voluntary work and I'm sure you'd score 6/6 for motivation and 6/6 for insight (as a reapplicant and because of your solid work experience) and you'd probably get full marks academically too. Plus I've heard Liverpool aren't so keen on reapplicants (bad for myself), whether that's an unsubstantiated rumour or not I don't know.
Reply 118
Original post by MJHERBZ

Original post by MJHERBZ
I applied to Leeds last year, they'd love your voluntary work and I'm sure you'd score 6/6 for motivation and 6/6 for insight (as a reapplicant and because of your solid work experience) and you'd probably get full marks academically too. Plus I've heard Liverpool aren't so keen on reapplicants (bad for myself), whether that's an unsubstantiated rumour or not I don't know.

I applied to leeds last year as well and didnt even get an interview thats why im so unsure, but at the time of applying i had only organised voluntary work and GP work exp so couldnt really expand on it in my personal statement
Reply 119
Original post by H-22
I applied to leeds last year as well and didnt even get an interview thats why im so unsure, but at the time of applying i had only organised voluntary work and GP work exp so couldnt really expand on it in my personal statement

your academics are great, :smile:

well in my opinion I definitley reckon u should reapply to leeds, this shows your dedication and also they will be able to see how dedicated you are to do medicine and go to there uni, I mean whats the point of reapplying and not applying to the exact same unis as before, this shows them that u are dedicated and determined to do medicine. also it depends on your ukcat, if you ukcat was average or above then you should apply to leeds, if it was a little below average if u think, u should apply to liverpool.

but honestly, If i was in your position i wouldnt think twice about applying to the same unis as before...it shows them how determined and motivated u are.

trust me....I'm a (hopeful) future doctor:wink::wink::tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending