The Student Room Group

kicked out of imperial 2nd year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by anil10100
But I have the exact same worries of only being good at calculations & not at abstract maths?!

consider me exceptionally bad at abstract maths. After all, most students got kicked out of imperial in their first year instead of 2nd year.

btw any help? :frown: Can I accept RH's verbal offer while shopping for better offers?
Reply 41
Original post by gateux
consider me exceptionally bad at abstract maths. After all, most students got kicked out of imperial in their first year instead of 2nd year.

btw any help? :frown: Can I accept RH's verbal offer while shopping for better offers?

Haven't not even applied to uni yet, I'm probably not the best person to answer that, sorry :/

The biggest problem in my opinion, is how can people applying to the best uni's know if they are good enough at maths, before applying?
Original post by musti123
Why dont u try getting a transfer to an 'easier' uni maths or maths related course, like UCL, Kings, QM. And that way not have to start again

LOL. If he couldn't handle Maths at Imperial he's not going to be able to handle it at UCL or Kings either, dip****.

University maths is university maths. Going to a uni one or two places lower on the Times league tables doesn't suddenly mean they start teaching maths at GCSE level.
Reply 43
Original post by DirtyRotten
LOL. If he couldn't handle Maths at Imperial he's not going to be able to handle it at UCL or Kings either, dip****.

University maths is university maths. Going to a uni one or two places lower on the Times league tables doesn't suddenly mean they start teaching maths at GCSE level.

keep on tellin urself that brotha
Reply 44
Original post by DirtyRotten

Maths in Imperial is hard. Of course I won't deny I'm incompetent at Mathematics.

Now back onto topic.

Updates: York and SOAS are now considering my applications as well for BSc Econ, RH firm offer, QM doesn't care, CASS/Durham/St. Andrews/Kings have no place.

So York vs SOAS vs RH, how does it work now? York does seem to trump SOAS and RH...?
Original post by gateux
Maths in Imperial is hard. Of course I won't deny I'm incompetent at Mathematics.

Now back onto topic.

Updates: York and SOAS are now considering my applications as well for BSc Econ, RH firm offer, QM doesn't care, CASS/Durham/St. Andrews/Kings have no place.

So York vs SOAS vs RH, how does it work now? York does seem to trump SOAS and RH...?

Do you still want to be in London? York is very different to London.
Reply 46
Original post by TheSownRose
Do you still want to be in London? York is very different to London.

Of course i want to be in london. but if York is far superior I will go there and start fresh.
Reply 47
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Give the guy a break, and let's be honest here QM doesn't even come close to Imperial so yeah he's right in that it is a massive downgrade.

It's not massive. We're still talking UoL here! (...this is coming from an Imperial-->KCL student so there might be an element of bias)
Reply 48
Original post by gateux
So after three years, I still can't manage to do an Imperial maths degree. I've been kicked officially.
Didn't see that coming so didn't apply for ucas early... what are my chances in clearing?
outside academics I've interned in ibanks during summer twice, so career-wise i'm alright.
Would unis like QM/royal/King's be realistic, since I'm three years late into uni?
Grades back in alevels are AAAAA. work exp as above. Looking for econ/business/management now...
please help, i'm pretty troubled now...

If you've already got your foot in the door on the career ladder with your internships, why bother with a different degree?

You might be better off finding work and completing a professional qualification instead...

Edit: have just seen that you're international, so work might be a problem if you don't have a visa/right to work in the UK?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Dreizhen
It's not massive. We're still talking UoL here! (...this is coming from an Imperial-->KCL student so there might be an element of bias)

Well, even if it's UoL it's still a step down. IC to UCL/LSE... ok I can accept that, KCL.... alrighty, but RH/QM is a real step down. I accept that fact, but since I'm forced to, I won't whine about it, since it's my inability to survive in IC.

Original post by naomi1988
If you've already got your foot in the door on the career ladder with your internships, why bother with a different degree?

You might be better off finding work and completing a professional qualification instead...

Edit: have just seen that you're international, so work might be a problem if you don't have a visa/right to work in the UK?

Internship doesn't guarantee me a job, even back in my home. A degree is prerequisite... I got kicked out so I need to finish a degree to re-embark my career on ibanks, or security firms. That applies to both my home and uk. So yeh, I'll restart a degree in RH, try to ace it with a first, and then get a master back in IC/UCL/LSE hopefully... it's three lonely years ahead and all my friends lost, but I have to take what life offers me.
Original post by gateux
P.S. as we speak, Royal Holloway made me a first year offer! He wants transcript for second year consideration though (third honour kkkkk), will see if I can convince them to make a second year offer! Hopefully QM will offer me a second (or first) year offer for econ! :biggrin:

Just so you know, if you do end up a second year RH student I'll probably see you in workshops. :wink:

Yeah, the work load at RH is obviously easier than Imperial, but I wouldn't go ahead and think it's a doddle. Perhaps that's just me defending my uni choice (I got in through clearing, too) but come third year the modules do up the ante and get much more difficult than in second year. I also know of a few modules where students aced the homeworks and failed miserably at exams because they thought they knew it all, despite doing previous exam prep. So basically, try not to get complacent, even if you can do the homework sheets.

Apart from that, you'll probably do well. Getting a first/2:1 from RH isn't exactly terrible.

Also, friends wise you'll be fine. RH maths feels more like a community than a department.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Just so you know, if you do end up a second year RH student I'll probably see you in workshops. :wink:

Yeah, the work load at RH is obviously easier than Imperial, but I wouldn't go ahead and think it's a doddle. Perhaps that's just me defending my uni choice (I got in through clearing, too) but come third year the modules do up the ante and get much more difficult than in second year. I also know of a few modules where students aced the homeworks and failed miserably at exams because they thought they knew it all, despite doing previous exam prep. So basically, try not to get complacent, even if you can do the homework sheets.

Apart from that, you'll probably do well. Getting a first/2:1 from RH isn't exactly terrible.

Also, friends wise you'll be fine. RH maths feels more like a community than a department.

Thanks for your reassurance.
Hope I didn't offend you by saying I should be able to get first in RH... But I know where my ability goes, and really I think being kicked out by a uni after three years is a shame enough for anyone in such situation to stop interacting with anyone at all. I will shut myself out, I know for a fact, I will work like a fuking geek and get the first I needed.
And haha I won't be touching Mathematics dept again, I'm going to Economics. It should be as good as Mathematics community. :smile:
I reckon I won't be in second year, since I have no records in any Economics module, it's likely they will want me to start fresh. Nevermind, I've expected it.
Reply 52
Original post by gateux
Internship doesn't guarantee me a job, even back in my home. A degree is prerequisite... I got kicked out so I need to finish a degree to re-embark my career on ibanks, or security firms. That applies to both my home and uk. So yeh, I'll restart a degree in RH, try to ace it with a first, and then get a master back in IC/UCL/LSE hopefully... it's three lonely years ahead and all my friends lost, but I have to take what life offers me.

I admire your plans and determination. Even so, it might be worth speaking to the people who you got on well with during the internship, explaining your situation and seeing if they have any work for you.
It has to be worth a try and those people have seen you day in and day out for a couple of months, so they'll know you're a good worker.

It just seems like a long route to take, a year to reapply, 3 years for a degree, a year for a masters and even after those 5 years you are not guaranteed a job...
You might be embarking on a 5 year journey when what you want may be available now...

Are you definitely sure you want a career in Investment Banking? I am not an expert on Banking so I'll have to take your word for it that a degree is definitely required.
If you are open to something else, then law or accountancy firms will take school leavers on with just A-Levels. These careers also offer good salaries although not as high as banking but there would be a much better work life balance and more long term prospects to compensate. Plus, you will avoid buredning yourself with student debt and avoid the possibility of starting another degree that may also be not right for you.

Anyways, whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck!
Reply 53
Do you want to stay in London? You could always try Manchester Uni :biggrin:
Off course I have a bias :p:
Reply 54
Original post by gateux

Now back onto topic.

Hello gateux. I don't mean to dig up old wounds but out of the eight 2nd year modules, which was the one that you found most difficult?
Reply 55
Original post by naomi1988
I admire your plans and determination. Even so, it might be worth speaking to the people who you got on well with during the internship, explaining your situation and seeing if they have any work for you.
It has to be worth a try and those people have seen you day in and day out for a couple of months, so they'll know you're a good worker.

It just seems like a long route to take, a year to reapply, 3 years for a degree, a year for a masters and even after those 5 years you are not guaranteed a job...
You might be embarking on a 5 year journey when what you want may be available now...

Are you definitely sure you want a career in Investment Banking? I am not an expert on Banking so I'll have to take your word for it that a degree is definitely required.
If you are open to something else, then law or accountancy firms will take school leavers on with just A-Levels. These careers also offer good salaries although not as high as banking but there would be a much better work life balance and more long term prospects to compensate. Plus, you will avoid buredning yourself with student debt and avoid the possibility of starting another degree that may also be not right for you.

Anyways, whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck!

thank you for your advice. I have spoken to my mentor, and while he said it isn't important whether which uni I've graduated from at Equity Research (which I'm now working in), a degree is essential. Also, I can enter RH directly, so it's 4 years lost. Still it's a lot though.
And I'm an international student, so I don't use student loans. And I would pursue my aim to finally graduate from UCL/LSE/IC, which is purely the reason why I pursue academics in UK instead of my home country. I shall prove I can do it, with my determination and my ability in Economics.

Original post by jabed786
Do you want to stay in London? You could always try Manchester Uni :biggrin:
Off course I have a bias :p:

Haha I would love to stay in London... But I know Man U is superior than RH, they haven't replied to my request for 2011 entry though, it's also another uni I would consider.

Original post by studyboy
Hello gateux. I don't mean to dig up old wounds but out of the eight 2nd year modules, which was the one that you found most difficult?

M2AA1, Differential Equation (which has changed since then, I don't know how difficult it is now), and M2AA2, Multivariable Calculus.
Reply 56
Original post by gateux
Well, even if it's UoL it's still a step down. IC to UCL/LSE

Totally devoid of any remotely academic commentary and based solely on the competition, Economics at LSE is a significant step up from Maths at Imperial (LSE doesn't offer maths, as I'm sure you know).
Reply 57
Don't know the answer to your question but I wish you all the best! must be tough :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Mellete
Totally devoid of any remotely academic commentary and based solely on the competition, Economics at LSE is a significant step up from Maths at Imperial (LSE doesn't offer maths, as I'm sure you know).

I have utmost respect for LSE, but I really wouldn't say it's a significant step up. My comment there was simply uni-wise.
LSE offers something like Business Maths and Stats don't they? Still like I said, all I mean is that I would be as glad to be in LSE as to be in IC, but I disagree your valuation of IC Maths vs LSE Econ. Both are courses for the best.

Original post by sundogs
Don't know the answer to your question but I wish you all the best! must be tough :smile:

Thanks mate.
**** me..
Planning to do Mathematics at undergrad level and this has scared the living hell out of me. I would die right there if I fail my course..i dooont want to come home and suffer the ridicule of my relatives (em a indian) parents and sibling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending