The Student Room Group

Old friends remind me of my (shameful) past

Like many people, I have regrets. I have done many things I am not proud of in my life. For example, I used to get drunk and act like a ****. I was extremely *****y and got into several fights. I told a LOT of (blatant) lies regarding my life, and other people.

When I started uni I guess i was a fresh start for me and I moved on. I made new friends who were oblivious to my past and therefore entered these relationships free from bias/judgement. I consider myself a completely different/better person now.

However, when I catch up with my old school friends, I am reminded of my past all over again. A few of them seem to constantly bring up events from 5-6 years ago, even when I request that they don't. I don't blame them, because that's probably how they remember me, and they still see me as that same person, I guess. Also, when I see them it's all I'm reminded of. On several occasions I have gone out with these people to 'catch up' and returned home feeling depressed and horrible because everything about them reminds me of my past.

I guess part of me wants to cut off all ties from my old friends, just to escape my past. However, this would dramatically reduce my social circle & social life. 'make new friends' is easier said than done.

Advice/Similar experiences?
Reply 1
Sounds like something you'd expect from "old" friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending