The Student Room Group

Getting by with no grants

Is anyone else in the situation that their parents earn too much for them to get any grants, so they don't know where to get the money from?

We may earn that much, but it doesn't mean we have any money left once bills and morgages and debts what not have been paid for, so my parents can't afford to put hardly anything towards me being at uni.

Therefore, I have no idea where to get the amount of money I will need, because obviously, the student loan and part time work won't be enough to cover what I need.

So is there someway of getting extra grants or anything through your home expenditure being assessed as well as your income to help people above the cut off amount?

Charley :confused:
charleym
Is anyone else in the situation that their parents earn too much for them to get any grants, so they don't know where to get the money from?

We may earn that much, but it doesn't mean we have any money left once bills and morgages and debts what not have been paid for, so my parents can't afford to put hardly anything towards me being at uni.

Therefore, I have no idea where to get the amount of money I will need, because obviously, the student loan and part time work won't be enough to cover what I need.

So is there someway of getting extra grants or anything through your home expenditure being assessed as well as your income to help people above the cut off amount?

You should have been born to a poor family like me then.
I'm not eligible for any grants, it's unfair. :frown:.
Reply 3
I think they need to base it on a lot more than just income.
It's just like EMA all over again. I can't afford to buy lunch half the time, while the people who get it save it up to buy new mobiles and i-pods.
Reply 4
Im not eligible either. I dunno whats going to happen with me in terms of finance. I'm trusting my parents to sort it out for me.
Reply 5
It's the same with me too. I'm in year 12 at the mo and my familys income for the last tax year was just above the cut off point for EMA. Whilst I understand there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, they could perhaps take more factors into account, such as number of children in the family. I know people at school who get twice as much from EMA as I earnt in a week with my job (which I have now left due to rubbish pay!), therefore don't have a job themselves, yet still come from familys that appear to be well off. In many cases with EMA people get it because their parents are divorced, and they dont include the maintenance money recieved from the parent you no longer live with as part of your household income.

I'm just hoping the same kind of thing doesnt happen when I go to uni, cos I know my parents can't afford to pay that much money towards it for me, as I have a brother and a sister who both also want to go to uni.
Reply 6
lalala
It's the same with me too. I'm in year 12 at the mo and my familys income for the last tax year was just above the cut off point for EMA. Whilst I understand there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, they could perhaps take more factors into account, such as number of children in the family. I know people at school who get twice as much from EMA as I earnt in a week with my job (which I have now left due to rubbish pay!), therefore don't have a job themselves, yet still come from familys that appear to be well off. In many cases with EMA people get it because their parents are divorced, and they dont include the maintenance money recieved from the parent you no longer live with as part of your household income.

I'm just hoping the same kind of thing doesnt happen when I go to uni, cos I know my parents can't afford to pay that much money towards uni for me, as I have a brother and a sister who both also wont to go to uni

They do take brothers and sisters into account with loans and stuff, there's 4 of us and we're all at uni at the moment, so we just couldn't afford it if they didn't. They make allowances for the extra money is costs, also they split the tutition fees between three of us (my brother does radiography so doesn't pay any). I think we're just below the income threshold and I get the maximum. It also worked in the first year when my two brothers were at home, cause they were counted as dependent on my parents.
Reply 7
Frances
They do take brothers and sisters into account with loans and stuff, there's 4 of us and we're all at uni at the moment, so we just couldn't afford it if they didn't. They make allowances for the extra money is costs, also they split the tutition fees between three of us (my brother does radiography so doesn't pay any). I think we're just below the income threshold and I get the maximum. It also worked in the first year when my two brothers were at home, cause they were counted as dependent on my parents.

Thanks for the info!
Maybe once you are at uni there may be some grants they can give you if you can prove you'v taken the maximum loan and parents cant help anymore. Also there are grants for certain courses such as health care and nhs type things. Will also have a overdraft which will help a bit, not much tho.
I know that this won't help very much, but I would like to point out that it is possible to get through university on a student loan. I never took a single penny from my parents through the 4 years of my degree. Sure, you have to get a job over summer and possibly (as i did) one during term but it can be done.

I personally think that there should be more funding available (loan or otherwise) but there is not likely to be a shift in policy there any time soon. Not in the desired direction at least... You have to deal with what you get - very crappy, I know, but you have to decide whether or not going to university is that important to you and why you are going.

You should be able to get a job without too many problems - you will be living in a student area after all, so pubs galore - it might just mean that you can't go out and get wrecked every day of the week :rolleyes:. I worked in the student's union bar during term time and got a full time job for the summer and it kept me going. From what I can gather though, the student loans are bigger now and there are no up-front fees which should, in theory, make things easier.
Reply 10
john williams
Maybe once you are at uni there may be some grants they can give you if you can prove you'v taken the maximum loan and parents cant help anymore. Also there are grants for certain courses such as health care and nhs type things. Will also have a overdraft which will help a bit, not much tho.

Dude, the overdraft is great. I don't know how I'd survive without it!
Reply 11
I get no grants and just a basic loan.

- Your overdraft is there to be used.
- Work one day a week, and up it in the holidays. Best to work in a place where you could transfer back home in the holidays.
- Save now.
- Choose cheaper accommodation so it is easier to survive more on your loan.

It is possible. I have a part time job where I work every other weekend. I have a car and pay petrol and insurance. I can also afford a few nights out too.

Think of it this way, you may not get any grants, and a smaller loan, but it will be less to pay back in the long run.
Hmm my dad earns about 55k (and his new partner 60k) and, although my mom doesn't earn much (she lives in London) this places me in the top bracket.

Problem is, my dad is dead-set against me going to University (have no idea why) and says he isn't going to pay a single penny towards Uni.

I suppose I'll just have to err get as many loans etc. as I can.
Reply 13
jasperstory
Hmm my dad earns about 55k (and his new partner 60k) and, although my mom doesn't earn much (she lives in London) this places me in the top bracket.

Problem is, my dad is dead-set against me going to University (have no idea why) and says he isn't going to pay a single penny towards Uni.

I suppose I'll just have to err get as many loans etc. as I can.

If you live with your mum they will only take her income into account.
Yeh, how do they calculate whether you live with them or not?

Couldn't I just stay round hers for a while during the application process?
charleym

TBH its not as bad as it looks

The only major fee will be accomodation and that will set you back anywhere between 3 and 3.5K (once you take food into account), which can be covered by the Student Loan.

Get a part time job (up it to full time during summer (which is 2.5 months)) and you should earn around 1.5K at least
It is possible to be self sufficient with no grant. I am in exactly the same situation; basically, Uni costs in total 6-6,500 per year. I can get a 4,000 student loan, so need to work full time over summer and over Christmas to make up the shortfall.
Reply 17
Noxid
TBH its not as bad as it looks

The only major fee will be accomodation and that will set you back anywhere between 3 and 3.5K (once you take food into account), which can be covered by the Student Loan.

Get a part time job (up it to full time during summer (which is 2.5 months)) and you should earn around 1.5K at least
If you are anti-sociable and good with money like me you can live of the £4000 a year student loan.

Latest

Trending

Trending