The Student Room Group

I find it so difficult to study

I start my assignments the day before it's due and always say I'll never leave it to the last minute but I never learn.

I have exams starting this week (not re-sits, it's a first attempt) and I just can't focus at all on studying. I start then stop, and keep getting distracted. I'm not wasting time on TSR I only came on to get advice.

Has anyone been in a similar postion? What did you do to keep studying and to focus on it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I start my assignments the day before it's due and always say I'll never leave it to the last minute but I never learn.

I have exams starting this week (not re-sits, it's a first attempt) and I just can't focus at all on studying. I start then stop, and keep getting distracted. I'm not wasting time on TSR I only came on to get advice.

Has anyone been in a similar postion? What did you do to keep studying and to focus on it?

I got that all the time during the A levels. It took the close proximity of exams and a strict schedule to get me to actually do something. If I get into uni I intend to fix this fault. I'd recommend trying to set times when you will revise and sticking to them thoroughly.
I have a pile of all the D grade and below work I've ever gotten. Whenever I'm feeling a bit distracted I take a look through the pile and remember how crap it feels to fail when I'm capable but just lazy. That almost always makes me focus. I'm not sure if that's of any help to you though
Reply 3
This info is probably near useless (as it only seems to work for me) but i'll post it anyway.

First off you may have too much physical energy, and this is making you unable to concentrate fully. Try having a small run around the block (but not too much as you do require some energy to study).

If you are a fizzy drink guzzler like me, try switching to good ol' h2o. Fizzies also give you a little more energy than you need and water somehow seems to help with concentration.

Also, if you are like me, try getting some ambient music (stuff without too much singing). For me music from David Holmes (oceans 11 soundtrack) works well.

I can't think of anything else to be honest, but I really wish you luck in your exams!
Reply 4
I know what you mean, and a lot of people go through this because it's first years and it doesn't really count so they can lay off revising a bit.

Work now play later. Whatever's distracting you won't help you in the long run so you have to figure out where your priorities are.
I'm not wasting time on TSR I only came on to get advice.

Yes you are.

You can only make yourself work if you want to. You will need to not allow yourself to become distracted; and that includes not convincing yourself that asking strangers on the internets how not to allow yourself to be distracted is a valid alternative task to work.
Reply 6
Original post by FudgeMonkeys
I have a pile of all the D grade and below work I've ever gotten. Whenever I'm feeling a bit distracted I take a look through the pile and remember how crap it feels to fail when I'm capable but just lazy. That almost always makes me focus. I'm not sure if that's of any help to you though

No no, it does. Thank you.
Reply 7
Everyone is slightly different, but what helped me was to just listen to some music, drink plenty of water (or cups of tea, they always help) and to just keep revision fluid; don't spend too long on parts if they're getting you frustrated and make sure you keep a schedule (if you have one) which can be changed to suit what revision you want to do that day.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Reply 8
I've made a schedule a relaistic one, but I keep finding myself drifiting off and doing the most pointless things like reading about megabats on Wikipedia, I know I know...

And then the day before the exam I feel like I really have to study but then I panic how I don't have any time to prepare.
I did this all the time, half the time I'd stay up all night before a deadline to finish my assignments and they were bloody awful as a result. I find it's easier to do a paragraph every day starting sort of a week and a half before the assignment is due and then the night before just putting the whole thing together, proof reading it and then adding references. My concentration span is awful too so I always ask my mum or a friend to take my laptop and tv away from me so that I can concentrate on revision without the temptation to check facebook or TSR constantly :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by oodlesofpoodles
I did this all the time, half the time I'd stay up all night before a deadline to finish my assignments and they were bloody awful as a result. I find it's easier to do a paragraph every day starting sort of a week and a half before the assignment is due and then the night before just putting the whole thing together, proof reading it and then adding references. My concentration span is awful too so I always ask my mum or a friend to take my laptop and tv away from me so that I can concentrate on revision without the temptation to check facebook or TSR constantly :tongue:

The internet is where I waste my time, I can't get rid of my laptop when I have coursework or have to revise for my exam because it's all online on the uni's website!

I can't resist going elsewhere online :|
I've made a schedule a relaistic one, but I keep finding myself drifiting off and doing the most pointless things like reading about megabats on Wikipedia, I know I know...

And then the day before the exam I feel like I really have to study but then I panic how I don't have any time to prepare.

set an alarm clock every half an hour or fifteen minutes
when it rings, if you've drifted, you'll be reminded to keep working

alternatively, you could study with someone. and ban yourself from the computer for X hours a day. you really don't need the internet all the time to revise.
The internet is where I waste my time, I can't get rid of my laptop when I have coursework or have to revise for my exam because it's all online on the uni's website!

I can't resist going elsewhere online :|

print the stuff that's online off
when doing your coursework, switch off your internet
or go somewhere without a wireless connection

if you know yourself and know that like most of us you have little willpower, you have to work around that
Original post by forsaken_earth
print the stuff that's online off
when doing your coursework, switch off your internet
or go somewhere without a wireless connection

if you know yourself and know that like most of us you have little willpower, you have to work around that

That would be A LOT of print outs which would be really expensive and wasteful...
Original post by merryhappy
That would be A LOT of print outs which would be really expensive and wasteful...

I see. Could you not save screen prints to your laptop, and then turn off your internet?
I play badass soundtracks to my revision so my work becomes the most epic thing ever.
And then I'm motivated. LOL. :lolwut:
Original post by FudgeMonkeys

That's a great idea. I'm doing this from now on.
So do I since starting uni.
Through my A Levels I was really good, always got things in on time and was so motivated to do well.
Now at uni I'm just not. I can't get anything into my head, I hate the library and I hate lectures.
I like Psychology but not the course.
And it's really annoying me because I couldn't wait for uni to study something and do well, but I just can't seem to do it.
Reply 18
studying is the worst thing ever, especially writting assignments
Student are often getting this problems they are says i find so difficult to study the reason is the book's language is not proper or may be some have grammar mistake, in part of book the description is too long so it take such long time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending