Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by BigBadBazza

Hey Alison, welcome to the thread dude :smile: Glad to hear you're looking forward to the course like the rest of us. You planning on going for a full degree with the OU?

Keep in touch and if I can help with anything feel free to ask. All the best with your studies! :smile:

Thanks BBB, Yes I am planning on a full degree. what about you?

Alison :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 81
has any 1 got thier course stuff today yet supposedly some students will have course books sent out today ?????
stu
Reply 82
I received confirmation of 2 passes today (seperate 10 point short science courses) and so was so happy with the world of OU, that I have bit the bullet and signed up for TU100 (February start).

I have only done 10 pointers before so will be interesting to see how a 60 point course compares!

And I am looking forward to seeing how you early birds get on with the course!
Reply 83
Original post by tweet
Thanks BBB, Yes I am planning on a full degree. what about you?

Alison :smile:

Hi Alison, I'm planning on doing B62 computing and IT. What about yourself? Any particular field you're interested in? All the best :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by stuartduke
has any 1 got thier course stuff today yet supposedly some students will have course books sent out today ?????
stu

Nothing here yet mate! Apparently my course materials were mailed on the 7th September.... nothing yet :frown: Will let you know when they do. Keep me posted as well please mate.
Reply 85
Original post by MC2705
I received confirmation of 2 passes today (seperate 10 point short science courses) and so was so happy with the world of OU, that I have bit the bullet and signed up for TU100 (February start).

I have only done 10 pointers before so will be interesting to see how a 60 point course compares!

And I am looking forward to seeing how you early birds get on with the course!

Congratulations on the passes dude! Excellent news :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine with 60 points, probably give you a bit more to sink you're teeth into! Will keep you posted on how the course goes and if you need any help when you start feel free to send me a message :smile:
Reply 86
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the TU100 course in February 2012 (was too late to get onto the October 2011 :frown: ) I'm really excited about it but February seems like an age away! Really want to get started (or at least well prepared). Is there anyone out there that has either finished the course or currently studying it that could suggest any reading material or study topics that I could get my teeth into over the next few months that would be relevant to the course?

I've asked the same of the OU but not had a reply yet. I've got a ton of computer-related books but haven't a clue where to start!
Reply 87
Original post by Ecotox
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the TU100 course in February 2012 (was too late to get onto the October 2011 :frown: ) I'm really excited about it but February seems like an age away! Really want to get started (or at least well prepared). Is there anyone out there that has either finished the course or currently studying it that could suggest any reading material or study topics that I could get my teeth into over the next few months that would be relevant to the course?

I've asked the same of the OU but not had a reply yet. I've got a ton of computer-related books but haven't a clue where to start!

Hi mate, welcome to the thread :smile: As far as I'm aware this October is the first run for TU100 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so there isn't much available on it yet. However, if all goes well I should have my study materials very shortly, so once I've given them a good going over I'll be happy to send you through some suggestions. Well done for registering and all the best with your studies pal :smile: keep in touch and feel free to ask if I can help.
Reply 88
Hi mate, welcome to the thread :smile: As far as I'm aware this October is the first run for TU100 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so there isn't much available on it yet. However, if all goes well I should have my study materials very shortly, so once I've given them a good going over I'll be happy to send you through some suggestions. Well done for registering and all the best with your studies pal :smile: keep in touch and feel free to ask if I can help.

Ahhhh, that'd explain why I can't find any really useful info on the course then! :colondollar:

Thanks for the welcome and for any pointers you can give when your material turns up. I'll stay tuned! :smile:
Reply 89
Hey Ecotex, there is some overlap between TU100 and the discontinued modules T175 and M150. Both of these courses have modules that can be studied for free on the OU openlearn platform. Also from tomorrow the Sense software can be downloaded by non students at sense.open.ac.uk.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by one3two6
Hey Ecotex, there is some overlap between TU100 and the discontinued modules T175 and M150. Both of these courses have modules that can be studied for free on the OU openlearn platform. Also from tomorrow the Sense software can be downloaded by non students at sense.open.ac.uk.

Thanks, that's given me somewhere to start! Great news about the Sense software too. Will be good to mess about with it :smile:
Reply 91
Hey BBB,

I have enrolled on the TU100 module commencing 1st october 2011. Really excited and cant wait to get started. I too am looking to work towards BSc Hons maybe a joint degree....

Have you received your study material yet? x
Reply 92
Original post by IT Girl
Hey BBB,

I have enrolled on the TU100 module commencing 1st october 2011. Really excited and cant wait to get started. I too am looking to work towards BSc Hons maybe a joint degree....

Have you received your study material yet? x

Hey dude, welcome! :smile: Glad to hear you're excited! No, haven't received my course materials just yet. Hopefully they should be here by the end of the week/early next week. Will let you know when they get here. Any particular field you're interested in? E.g. software development?

Do feel free to ask if I can help with anything, all the best :smile:
Reply 93
Hey!

Hmmm, not too sure which field i wish to develop into yet. A bit like yourself i am interested in web design and just starting out creating sites for others. Want something a little more in depth. Software took my fancy but guess ill make my mind up a little more once i get going with the course.

Thanks for the offer of help. Im sure you will begin to wish you never asked when i bombard you with questions (heehee)

My course material has been dispatched but am yet to receive it. xx
OK everybody I have received my course materials this morning.
The senseboard is a lot smaller than I had imagined and the accompanying booklets are quite weighty but everything looks very interesting and I am looking forward to having a better look at it all this evening. Go us!!! LOL
Reply 95
Original post by robbierobot
The senseboard is a lot smaller than I had imagined and the accompanying booklets are quite weighty but everything looks very interesting and I am looking forward to having a better look at it all this evening. Go us!!! LOL

I'm so jealous of you all starting in October!!!!!!

I know you're gonna have your hands full getting your head around all the info, but if you get a chance it'd be great if you could give any pointers to those of us starting in February about study topics / suggested readings etc. Particularly from the beginning of the course?

Hope things go well for you! :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by robbierobot

Good news Rob! :smile: Hopefully I should be getting mine today as well.... that is if the Yodel fellow hasn't already been while I was out :confused:
Original post by Ecotox
I'm so jealous of you all starting in October!!!!!!

I know you're gonna have your hands full getting your head around all the info, but if you get a chance it'd be great if you could give any pointers to those of us starting in February about study topics / suggested readings etc. Particularly from the beginning of the course?

Hope things go well for you! :smile:

Will do all we can do keep you informed.
Once I have a better look at the contents of the box I'll give you an idea of whats we have to expect and will keep in touch with the course progress.
Cheers
Rob
Good news Rob! :smile: Hopefully I should be getting mine today as well.... that is if the Yodel fellow hasn't already been while I was out :confused:

OK so you have a box within a box in the contents.
Inside the OU box the first thing that greets you is a colourful Sense box containing the senseboard and attachments like power etc.
The senseboard is tiny and smaller than I expected. It looks tiny in the palm of my hand!
Under that box are 3 booklets of various thicknesses together with two DVD's.
Contained in the TU100 booklet there are instructions to download the sense software from the OU site together with descriptions of what you can expect from the course and future booklets that will arrive in February.
See it for yourself and enjoy.

http://sense.open.ac.uk/

I know that I did.
What an exciting time for us all.
Cheers to you and everyone else on this course.
Rob
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Hey,

I received my goodies today also. Have literally just opened the box and logged on here to tell you. Looks like Robbierobot beat me to it :-)

All looks a little daunting at the moment but i will have a more thorough look this evening.

Roll on 1st October guys xx

Quick Reply

Latest