The Student Room Group

Change of residency for a migrant worker after the 1st uni year (presettled to settl)

Hey! I came to the UK on the 24 september 2017.
I have loan as a migrant worker but now I want to have a proper loan like every other home student. I called SFE and I was told to fill CO1 form and send it to them and that it's accessible through my account or Google. But Google only has a form for Northern Ireland. And for my account I just can't find any option for residency status so I don't know how to access this form.

I can't call them again because I'm working every day and my breaks are too short to be 40 minutes on hold and at the same time I hoping it's possible to have it changed for term 2.

So

I came here on the 24th September 2017. I started my BA in October 2022. Around the same time I received my settled status but was told that I can't get student loan as a home student because I received my settled status after the uni started and so I need to wait until the next year.
My 2nd year migrant worker loan got approved for October 2023/2024 but I want to have it transferred to a normal, home student loan so it's not tied to my work. How do I do that?
Original post by meowgaryen
Hey! I came to the UK on the 24 september 2017.
I have loan as a migrant worker but now I want to have a proper loan like every other home student. I called SFE and I was told to fill CO1 form and send it to them and that it's accessible through my account or Google. But Google only has a form for Northern Ireland. And for my account I just can't find any option for residency status so I don't know how to access this form.

I can't call them again because I'm working every day and my breaks are too short to be 40 minutes on hold and at the same time I hoping it's possible to have it changed for term 2.

So

I came here on the 24th September 2017. I started my BA in October 2022. Around the same time I received my settled status but was told that I can't get student loan as a home student because I received my settled status after the uni started and so I need to wait until the next year.
My 2nd year migrant worker loan got approved for October 2023/2024 but I want to have it transferred to a normal, home student loan so it's not tied to my work. How do I do that?

Hi there, You would need to send us a PN1 form to apply as a home student with settled status, the form can be located and downloaded from Gov.uk website. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, You would need to send us a PN1 form to apply as a home student with settled status, the form can be located and downloaded from Gov.uk website. Thanks, Angela

Thank you!
So I just send the form or do I also write a letter explaining why I'm sending a new form for a cours I already have an approved loan? Do I have to cancel my approved migrant student application or you're the one that will cancel it once you approve the new application?
(edited 7 months ago)
Thank you!
So I just send the form or do I also write a letter explaining why I'm sending a new form for a cours I already have an approved loan? Do I have to cancel my approved migrant student application or you're the one that will cancel it once you approve the new application?

Hi there,

Just to confirm, are you currently entitled to both the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Hi! Yes. I took a migrant worker loan for my CertHe and for the 1st year of my BA. 2nd year got approved as a migrant worker but I don't want the loan to be tied to work anymore now that I have an opportunity.

I gained a settled status on the 20th October 2022.

I managed to connect to a person that asked their team leader and they said that all I have to do is to send you my settled status letter, share code and cover letter explaining the evidence and that I want to be moved from a migrant worker to EU settled student.
Though, previously I was told to send C01 form (which I can't find as I don't have an option to change circumstances fort my residency) and in this thread I was told to send PN1.

Tonight I'll send settled status letter and share code and cover letter. I'm not sending C01 because I can't find it and for PN1 I'm scared that it will cancel my existing tuition and maintenance loan and I'll end up with no money for fees and living.

But I'd still appreciate any confirmation or some other ideas about how to move migrant worker loan to EU settled student.
Hi! Yes. I took a migrant worker loan for my CertHe and for the 1st year of my BA. 2nd year got approved as a migrant worker but I don't want the loan to be tied to work anymore now that I have an opportunity.

I gained a settled status on the 20th October 2022.

I managed to connect to a person that asked their team leader and they said that all I have to do is to send you my settled status letter, share code and cover letter explaining the evidence and that I want to be moved from a migrant worker to EU settled student.
Though, previously I was told to send C01 form (which I can't find as I don't have an option to change circumstances fort my residency) and in this thread I was told to send PN1.

Tonight I'll send settled status letter and share code and cover letter. I'm not sending C01 because I can't find it and for PN1 I'm scared that it will cancel my existing tuition and maintenance loan and I'll end up with no money for fees and living.

But I'd still appreciate any confirmation or some other ideas about how to move migrant worker loan to EU settled student.

Hi there,

If you're able to contact us via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607 so we can look into this and help you get this resolved and confirm exactly what is needed. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you're able to contact us via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607 so we can look into this and help you get this resolved and confirm exactly what is needed. Thanks, Jason

But that's my problem - called 3 times and got 3 different answers (change of circumstances form, a completely new form, and the third just send the home office letter and share code).
Surely there's a guideline what to do with EU students who applied for migrant worker loan but now have settled status and want to be treated as home students. I'm sure I'm not that unique that advisers are confused about how to deal with me.

Live chat has only message that it will be available when an adviser is. It never was.

So, my application for 2nd year as a migrant worker got accepted. You're waiting for my uni to confirm it.
But with settled status I got a year ago - I changed my mind. I don't want be a migrant worker anymore. I want a normal, home student loan.

So, would it be possible for you to share your guideline here? What's a proper way to change it? I was told that my evidence of share code and home office letter will be assessed by the 14th of October. But if you are going to tell me that actually I need to make a new application instead that will be quite late to do.
Thank you!

Hi there, No you do not need to cancel the current application. We will update your account with the new form. You can include a letter advising that change in your status and include a copy of your Home Office letter and share code. Thanks, Angela
Reply 8
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, No you do not need to cancel the current application. We will update your account with the new form. You can include a letter advising that change in your status and include a copy of your Home Office letter and share code. Thanks, Angela

Understood! Will do that then. Thank you!
I guess it's something that has to be send by post and not uploaded online? If yes, do I send it to migrant worker loan box that dealt with my migrant worker loan or do I just send it to the UK students one?
Understood! Will do that then. Thank you!
I guess it's something that has to be send by post and not uploaded online? If yes, do I send it to migrant worker loan box that dealt with my migrant worker loan or do I just send it to the UK students one?

Hi there,

Just to confirm, this is something we can accept as an upload, are you able to upload evidence on your account at the moment?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 10
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Just to confirm, this is something we can accept as an upload, are you able to upload evidence on your account at the moment?

Thanks, Graeme

Heya! Yes, I can upload things. I just thought that PN1 is like a new form/application so I have to send it either in paper or online as starting new application and evidence are only for existing applications.

But I can upload evidence. So should I just print PN1, fill it and upload it as evidence along with share code and cover letter (did the letter though, so I guess it's enough to just do the PN1)?
Heya! Yes, I can upload things. I just thought that PN1 is like a new form/application so I have to send it either in paper or online as starting new application and evidence are only for existing applications.

But I can upload evidence. So should I just print PN1, fill it and upload it as evidence along with share code and cover letter (did the letter though, so I guess it's enough to just do the PN1)?

Hi there,

The PN1 needs to be sent via post. The other evidence can be digitally uploaded to your account. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending