The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I just received my course materials too! Woooooohoooooo! :biggrin: But now I'm stuck at work until 11.00pm :frown: Feel like a kid on Christmas eve lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by BigBadBazza
I just received my course materials too! Woooooohoooooo! :biggrin: But now I'm stuck at work until 11.00pm :frown: Feel like a kid on Christmas eve lol

Go Baz!!!!!!!!!!!
Just started reading the 'Essential information' you have look at before connecting your Senseboard and there is this little treasure:

'Some Senseboard activities involve measuring the temperature of water'

followed by:

'Avoid using your Senseboard in a damp or wet environment'!!!!!!!!!!

You can't make it up can you?!
It continues:

'The Senseboard is not a toy'

under Licences section it states:

'Scratch has been developed by the Lifelong Kindergarten group'

It gets better and better. LOL
Reply 104
Original post by robbierobot
Go Baz!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha! Cheers mate :smile: Rob, just out of interest, I noticed you said "booklets" I'm guessing they aren't fully fledged books then? How many pages per booklet are we talking?
Reply 105
Just started reading the 'Essential information' you have look at before connecting your Senseboard and there is this little treasure:

'Some Senseboard activities involve measuring the temperature of water'

followed by:

'Avoid using your Senseboard in a damp or wet environment'!!!!!!!!!!

You can't make it up can you?!

I thought getting my course materials was the highlight if the day.... that was the icing on the cake! :smile:
hey baz and all got my stuff through today too been lookign at the sense board and the guide books all seems very interesting and exciting read on the website that stuff was being delivered and had to stay in all day to wait for the delivery took some pics of me and the sence board sorry in advance btw .....
1DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

hope u like Baz get some pics up if u can mate!!
good luck everyone
Original post by stuartduke
hey baz and all got my stuff through today too been lookign at the sense board and the guide books all seems very interesting and exciting read on the website that stuff was being delivered and had to stay in all day to wait for the delivery took some pics of me and the sence board sorry in advance btw .....
1DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

good luck everyone

defo has the 'mad scientist' look about him!
He'll go far on this course. LOL
Reply 108
Original post by stuartduke
1DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

good luck everyone

Ha ha! Legend! Cheers for that Stu, glad to see everyone's having a good time with the materials... lucky so and so's :smile: Can't wait to to get in and have a look! Will definitely keep you all posted with my impressions.
Reply 109
defo has the 'mad scientist' look about him!
He'll go far on this course. LOL

Lol especially the third pic! I'm actually starting to worry what Stu's gonna do with the sense board! :smile:
Ha ha! Cheers mate :smile: Rob, just out of interest, I noticed you said "booklets" I'm guessing they aren't fully fledged books then? How many pages per booklet are we talking?

Well Barry it depends upon your definition of booklets.
They seem to be comprehensive enough its just the feel of them is more 'booklet' than book although if you say study books then that might meet their 'feel'.

My Digital Life

TU100 Guide 40 pages
TU100 Block 1 Myself 140 pages
TU100 Block 2 My stuff 352 pages
TU100 Sense Programming Guide 200 pages

To follow we have
Block 3 My place
Block 4 My friends
Block 5 My society
Block 6 My world

Have installed the senseboard software and driver and ran first test as requested to make sure all is well.

Sure you will have a great time when you get home playing with it.
Cheers
Lol especially the third pic! I'm actually starting to worry what Stu's gonna do with the sense board! :smile:

I agree its someone to watch. There goes world peace! LOL!

In Teutonic style voice:

Today I hev my senseboard and tomorrow I hav the welt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Decisions decisions do I watch Tron Legacy or play with my senseboard?
I know its only science fiction but if you need an idea as to what technology 'could' do in the future then there is none better than the likes of 'Caprica' or 'Minority Report' (not the future crime ****e) but the retinal id stuff when boarding a train.
As some of this course deals with Ubiquitous Computing its worth a look just to remind you where technology is going.
And its not in the far future either.
The OU tells us just how old the web is and how long mobile phones have been around and now we have 'smartphones'.
What next?
This book I have been reading, 'Everywhere' by Adam Greenfield, about 'Ubiquitous Computing', has been heavy going even though its broken down in small bitesized chunks.

It has opened my eyes to the technological IT possibilities that could happen in the future. Such ideas being contemplated by techies in back rooms as I type.

Can't wait!
Reply 115
Decisions decisions do I watch Tron Legacy or play with my senseboard?

Sense board all the way! :smile:
Hi Alison, I'm planning on doing B62 computing and IT. What about yourself? Any particular field you're interested in? All the best :smile:

Hi Barry
Just noticed this comment in response to Alison.

The B62 course is the route I am taking as well.
Plenty of time to decide on modules.
What route are you thinking about?
Cheers
Sense board all the way! :smile:

They say that if you fiddle with it too much it'll either fall off or you'll go blind!
glad u liked pics first impressions of the course seem good ..
Reply 119
They say that if you fiddle with it too much it'll either fall off or you'll go blind!

He hey!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest