The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Hi Raymondo
I am intrigued by your personal info.
Not grilling you or prying but as you seem to be studying for a BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences degree how does TU100 come into the equation?

Am I missing something here.

I want to go and do a Science degree after this IT one but if I can combine the two somehow it would be useful.

Cheers Rob
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 161
Original post by robbie robot
Hi Raymondo
I am intrigued by your personal info.
Not grilling you or prying but as you seem to be studying for a BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences degree how does TU100 come into the equation?

Am I missing something here.

I want to go and do a Science degree after this IT one but if I can combine the two somehow it would be useful.

Cheers Rob

A fair question Rob! :smile: I'm actually a town planner by profession. But as you know the councils are chucking us all out so I'm making alternative plans! :biggrin:

About 10 years ago I signed up with the OU with the idea of moving into IT and tried to attain the old IT diploma. I did two level 2 courses but dropped out of the level 3 machine AI programming course which I wasn't prepared for at all. I then gave it a rest for a while as I was having to learn new stuff at work.

But recently I've decided to come back. I was very interested in pursuing either IT or Science. It was a toss up between TU100 or S104 but I went for S104. By nature I'm a sort of interdisciplinary person. I might do a Science or IT degree or a work out a combo of both. If I went the pure science route it would be following the astronomy and planetary sciences path - another interest! If I went IT it would be heavy on the programming. But both the IT and Science degrees count optional modules in the science, technology and maths fields so a loose combo degree should be possible. It may mean having to go well over the standard 360 points to get a good grounding in both areas though.
Reply 162
Bleh, want this damned website to open up so I can crack on.

Have read through the entirety of Part 1 of Book 1 'Myself' which is nothing more than a long winded Introduction to the Broad theme of digital Technology and our interaction with it, rather dry and not so informative if you're up to speed with the basics. But it does keep referring you to things on that site.

-sigh- ah well. Patience is a virtue but i'm not so virtuous it seems.
Reply 163
Original post by robbierobot
Gosh!
You're keen.
I did a 30 pointer last year/this year and found it challenging hence I am opting for a 60 pointer this year.
I may pick up another next February depending upon how I am coping with this TU100 but good luck and hope you can manage.
Cheers.

Thanks.
To be honest, was originally only going to do TM128 as I'm an MCP on Win2k Pro & Server and need to update to Server 2008 but as I don't have a degree (and so many agencies won't put you forward for IT jobs if you don't have one) I thought what the hell! Might as well go for that as well. Just hope I can get it all done.
Hoping to do T216 CCNA next year.
OK, all my fellow students.
If any of you have taken the time to look at the Sense Programming Guide booklet then there is not a lot you can do with it until the course starts.

On Page 7 it states that you can go into the Projects folder (the same one you used to test your senseboard) a
nd go into the subfolder, 'Sense Programming Guide', then from there go to the project SPG_Project_01.

There is no such folder so to look for it is a waste of time as I found out to my cost of time and energy.

I have contacted Learner Support and then onto Computer Helpdesk who have advised that the subfolders
will have to be downloaded from the course website when it starts on 1st October.
Bang goes any attempt to get ahead considering the first TMA is due 20 days after the course starts!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 165
hi rob iam new to this and i was just about to start looking at the sense programming guide i will wait now .
Reply 166

The course website opens on thursday. It says on your student homepage.
Original post by Stuart444
The course website opens on thursday. It says on your student homepage.

me bad!
So incensed with the lack of coherent information from OU I almost threw computer out the window!
(edited 12 years ago)
Im also studying TU100 (along with TM128) and thought i'd say hi... ive been lurking on here for a few weeks now!

I have quite a bit of programming exp but wanted to brush up on some of the things ive not covered before, so im studying towards a degree in computing & IT! Hopefully it'll open a few more doors for me once ive completed it!

roll on tomorrow so i can get cracking with it!
Reply 169
The course website is up! Woooooohooooo! :biggrin:
Reply 170
Original post by tanderson001
Im also studying TU100 (along with TM128) and thought i'd say hi... ive been lurking on here for a few weeks now!

I have quite a bit of programming exp but wanted to brush up on some of the things ive not covered before, so im studying towards a degree in computing & IT! Hopefully it'll open a few more doors for me once ive completed it!

roll on tomorrow so i can get cracking with it!

Welcome mate :smile: It all starts today :biggrin: or maybe that should be a :eek: lol
Original post by BigBadBazza
The course website is up! Woooooohooooo! :biggrin:

Yes I've been looking at the website since 8.30 and there's a lot to look at.

Slow and steady.
Reply 172
Original post by robbierobot
Yes I've been looking at the website since 8.30 and there's a lot to look at.

Slow and steady.

I must admit, I'm very impressed with the website. This being my first OU course I was exactly sure what to expect... But as I said, very impressed :smile:

Rob, I hope you don't mind, I just quoted you in my tutor group forum :biggrin: Someone was having trouble trying to open a sub folder in sense as you were.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BigBadBazza
I must admit, I'm very impressed with the website. This being my first OU course I was exactly sure what to expect... But as I said, very impressed :smile:

Rob, I hope you don't mind, I just quoted you in my tutor group forum :biggrin: Someone was having trouble trying to open a sub folder in sense as you were.

Saw that Barry no probs.
Cheers
Rob
Looking for the missing Sense files?

I have posted that there is mention of Project subfolder SPG_Project_01 and it seems to be missing.

Found it!

Open up Study Planner to show entire year, scroll down to Block 1 Part 5 Resources.

You will find the downloadable file which includes a red pointer sprite so you will not have to create one like Gary did!
Cheers
Rob
Just signed up for the January/February course, waiting for the paper work out so I can get the course on Finance. Can't wait!
Hi all,

I am considering starting this course in Feb. I have heard that the last TMA consists of an interview but cant find anything about this on the OU website. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me?

Many thanks :smile:
Helen
Original post by The Sock Monster
Hi all,

I am considering starting this course in Feb. I have heard that the last TMA consists of an interview but cant find anything about this on the OU website. Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me?

Many thanks :smile:
Helen

Thats odd considering the geographic difference of everybody. Who would be able to find the time let alone be willing to travel to attend an interview? Some of us are doing the course for the interest sake and not for employment so why would I want an interview?
I dont know. I thought that maybe someone who's starting the course now would be able to tell me if its true or not.
Reply 179
Original post by The Sock Monster
I dont know. I thought that maybe someone who's starting the course now would be able to tell me if its true or not.

Where did you hear it? I don't know of any undergraduate module at the OU that includes an interview. It does have audio and video interviews on a DVD by the looks of things though.

Quick Reply

Latest