The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldnt get out of bed for twice that.

not to mention its illegal
Reply 61
Original post by nerd123
Maybe do it until you find another job? It'll give you experience I guess.

I would...but I spoke to the mager again,to clear up about wages etc....I've been doing training there,for 2 days...today worked for 8 hours....and he told me that training is for 1week and you don't get paid. What the hell am I doing there for 8hours...for free.slavery.and I did more than current staff there!! And you don't just make coffees,teas..you cook propper meals which I'm crap at. I just feel its not my thing...although if they told me the wage was 5p.h then maybe id feel different.my last job paid 6p.h...and maybe I shouldn't compare these jobs...

Also I kinda mentioned to one of the girls there,that wages are rubbish etc...and i think i was stupid doing that eapecially as I have no other job:frown:. I'm one of the life's losers:frown:
Reply 62
Original post by silverbolt
I wouldnt get out of bed for twice that.

not to mention its illegal

Then I would welcome any tips on what to say to managers of other possible places!!!!! Because i don't know what I'm doing wrong....because sometimes I see staff at dept.stores/supermarkets etc and just think HOW THE HELL DID HE/SHE GET THAT JOB. But maybe its just me they actually don't like:frown:
Reply 63
That's below the minimum wage, so absolutely not. £3.95 when I was 16 was bad enough!

ETA: I just read your most recent post and I'm pretty sure they have to pay you for training too - or at least i've always been paid! Leave now and never look back.

Edited again: to all the people in the post saying "Yeah I would, I worked for £2 when I was 16" -WHY? :frown: Did anyone even try and argue it with their employer? I wish more people would report the places that did this - why do people let themselves be taken advantage of :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
I wash dishes for 4.50
But it's the only place of commerce within like a 2mile radius of my house!
Reply 66
Original post by ovie
Then I would welcome any tips on what to say to managers of other possible places!!!!! Because i don't know what I'm doing wrong....because sometimes I see staff at dept.stores/supermarkets etc and just think HOW THE HELL DID HE/SHE GET THAT JOB. But maybe its just me they actually don't like:frown:

Are you handing out CV's or just asking managers? A CV shows you have come prepared, and aren't just a 'chancer'. Also, try high street places as they are far less likely to bend the rules and underpay you!

Also look into stuff like cleaning, it's pretty ****ty but I hear it pays alright considering, I know they pay the cleaners in LIDL £9 an hour or something :eek3: (or at least they used to)
Reply 67
Original post by greebo-man
I wash dishes for 4.50

I would totally do that. What did you say to them?! Do you need a pot washer?? But I'm a girl,maybe it will be more difficult to get that job:/ hah
Reply 68
Original post by nadiah
Are you handing out CV's or just asking managers? A CV shows you have come prepared, and aren't just a 'chancer'. Also, try high street places as they are far less likely to bend the rules and underpay you!

Also look into stuff like cleaning, it's pretty ****ty but I hear it pays alright considering, I know they pay the cleaners in LIDL £9 an hour or something :eek3: (or at least they used to)

I was handing out CVs but no luck.maybe its because im only looking for a job for a few weeks,then I'm off to Uni...they just don't want the hassle etc.

I will try ckeaning,might even put up an advert in a shop haha. Desperate things call for desperte measures!!!! I just want some money for uni!!!!!!
OP if you lived close by to my lil. town you may have gotten my job =s.We are in need of people at my workplace. =/

edit: ah you're after short-time work
Reply 70
Original post by ovie
No waayyy, cleaners here in London get about 8 pound an hour

Not all. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by greebo-man
But it's the only place of commerce within like a 2mile radius of my house!

There must be a pub or corner shop or even a factory nearby?
Reply 72
Original post by ovie
I was handing out CVs but no luck.maybe its because im only looking for a job for a few weeks,then I'm off to Uni...they just don't want the hassle etc.

I will try ckeaning,might even put up an advert in a shop haha. Desperate things call for desperte measures!!!! I just want some money for uni!!!!!!

Yeah that probably is why tbh - and even more reason why I wouldn't be trained unpaid - it wastes a week where you could be earning!

Have you tried call centres e.t.c.? I've heard stories about some being dodgy and not paying people so be careful, but I know they often hire short term employees. Also if there are any clubs near you you could look at flyering - its so, so **** but I've done a bit of that this summer and they seem to pay really well.

I'm not condoning it - but you could always erm...avoid the truth and 'forget' to mention you will be leaving for University? :tongue:

You are also probably better to try and get a part time job at uni - I've worked at my students union for the past three years and it's the best Job I've ever had. You don't even have to worry about taking time off for exams as they are extremely flexible & I'd imagine all student unions jobs would be the same.
Reply 73
if your working there.. just at least make sure you get a written reference before you leave. can use it at least to help get somerthing better when you get to uni
Reply 74
Original post by MathsLadette
Plus the fact that you can opt out of it. Everywhere I've worked I've opted out the EU time directive and I think many industries expect their staff to do so.

If you opt out, then you can work more than 48 hours in the week. It's there to establish a maximum working hours for anyone 18+. You don't opt out to have less maximum hours.

Source: Direct Gov
If you are 18 or over and wish to work more than 48 hours a week, you can choose to opt out of the 48 hour limit. This must be voluntary and in writing. It can't be an agreement with the whole workforce.
Reply 75
Honestly its not worth it. I worked at my a distant relatives restaurant when I was 16, got paid £2.50 an hour whilst a girl there same age as me got paid minimum wage. Their reason. She's white and her dad was the business' mechanic. I was part of the family so should deal with it. It was vile. I wouldnt mind so much if the manager was nice but he was a dickhead to me. Gave the girl easy tasks, and just treated me like dirt. When I left, he tried to make it out as if I left intentionally when the place got busy so they would be understaffed (they already were understaffed) but I gave him a notice of a week!
I worked for £3.60 per hour when I was 16, so hell no
Original post by L3mon
If you opt out, then you can work more than 48 hours in the week. It's there to establish a maximum working hours for anyone 18+. You don't opt out to have less maximum hours.

Source: Direct Gov
If you are 18 or over and wish to work more than 48 hours a week, you can choose to opt out of the 48 hour limit. This must be voluntary and in writing. It can't be an agreement with the whole workforce.

Obviously. Which is why I was agreeing with you and said 'plus the fact' as in, I was adding to your points...
If your 18 the minimum wage is £4.97, report them.
Reply 79
Ignoring the legal factors, I just don't think it would be worth to work for £3 an hour, but on the other hand you will have to consider that if you don't take that job, you will be wasting time and uni is most likely less than 2 months away. If you are really desperate, I would take the job and then still apply for others.

Latest

Trending

Trending