Hey and thanks,

My work experience:
1 week at UCL hospital helping on a diabetes project with pregnant ladies
2 weeks at a hospital in kenya and working with orphans
2 months volunteeering at charing cross hospital in A&E
1 year volunteeering with disabled teens and playing games and drama
Shadowing doctors throughout the year
Voluteering tutor who teaches gcse maths for 9 months

Is this enough or should I have done more?

More than enough. Make sure you can write about what you've learnt on your personal statement, and make sure you can talk about what you've learnt at your interview.

At my interview they were particularly impressed by the fact that i did some tutoring. Almost every experience counts, even if it might not seem relevant at first.
Original post by fabregassed
More than enough. Make sure you can write about what you've learnt on your personal statement, and make sure you can talk about what you've learnt at your interview.

At my interview they were particularly impressed by the fact that i did some tutoring. Almost every experience counts, even if it might not seem relevant at first.

here's the thing.. i haven't started my PS yet...

do you reckon it's doable in the time I have left (bearing in mind the deadlin of 15th Oct)

:frown:
Reply 1982
Original post by hurgalydurgaly
here's the thing.. i haven't started my PS yet...

do you reckon it's doable in the time I have left (bearing in mind the deadlin of 15th Oct)

:frown:

yes.

once you get started you'll realise that it's actually pretty easy.
Reply 1983
Original post by leezee
I can't. Aren't we going to be given an account during freshers week?

According to a second year i know, its the username/ password we got when we did e-registration. so not sure:/
Original post by SSmillie
Can anyone who has been accepted into aberdeen for 2012 access the Mymbchb website?

Your username and password will be the same as the ereg but you probably will not be able to have access to the system until freshers week.
Reply 1985
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Your username and password will be the same as the ereg but you probably will not be able to have access to the system until freshers week.

okay thank you :smile:
Original post by SSmillie
okay thank you :smile:

They are probably still fine tuning your practical sessions etc on the timetable. At the beginning of first year there aren't very many resources on MyMBChB anyway :smile:
Reply 1987
Is there any graduates who are doing 5 year course in aberdeen starting in 2012? I need your help. Not sure if i can/should apply?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1988
Original post by nasir_12
Is there any graduates who are doing 5 year course in aberdeen starting in 2012? I need your help. Not sure if i can/should apply?

Hi, I'm applying for 2013 entry. What's your background etc?
Reply 1989
Hi Zedd,
I am doing BSc in Clinical Sciences in Bradford and will Start my 3rd year in two weeks time. But had my UKCAT yesterday and i dont know what happened but VR just killed me:frown: It was nothing like the practise qs i had done so i ended up with these results:
VR 460
QR 700
AR 720
DA 710.

I was now wondering if it was worth me applying anywhere at all? I dont mind 5 year courses as I havent taken out any loans and would be able to manage with some maintence loan and working through summer but i think i might have kissed good bye to medicine for another 2 year at very least with such a bad performance in ukcat.
I also have B in chemistry A level but i think because of my degree I might be ok with that. Another reason apparently aberdeen takes quite a few grads from our programme. Might be because of high standard of people we have on our course or they might like our degree content. Need to email them and ask regarding this.

In extra stuff the usual medical applicant regular hockey player, d of e, St. John amb etc/8 months volunteering in local hospital/ 3 months working as support worker and now about to start as a hca in my local hospital.
Please if any of you aberdeen medics /TSRers have any comments regarding my chances. Please reply. I will appericate all your comments.
What about you Zedd? Whats your background?

Reply 1990
feeling pretty nervous about next monday ...
i got below average score in my ukcat, is it even worth the application to aberdeen?
Reply 1992
Original post by leezee
feeling pretty nervous about next monday ...

Dont be. Its not very hard but you just have to stay calm and try and deal with it as if its just another practise run while trying your very best. I panicked and probably lost out on very easy qs so just keep practising and you will be fine. Good luck.

Reply 1993
Hi Zedd,
I am doing BSc in Clinical Sciences in Bradford and will Start my 3rd year in two weeks time. But had my UKCAT yesterday and i dont know what happened but VR just killed me:frown: It was nothing like the practise qs i had done so i ended up with these results:
VR 460
QR 700
AR 720
DA 710.

I was now wondering if it was worth me applying anywhere at all? I dont mind 5 year courses as I havent taken out any loans and would be able to manage with some maintence loan and working through summer but i think i might have kissed good bye to medicine for another 2 year at very least with such a bad performance in ukcat.
I also have B in chemistry A level but i think because of my degree I might be ok with that. Another reason apparently aberdeen takes quite a few grads from our programme. Might be because of high standard of people we have on our course or they might like our degree content. Need to email them and ask regarding this.

In extra stuff the usual medical applicant regular hockey player, d of e, St. John amb etc/8 months volunteering in local hospital/ 3 months working as support worker and now about to start as a hca in my local hospital.
Please if any of you aberdeen medics /TSRers have any comments regarding my chances. Please reply. I will appericate all your comments.
What about you Zedd? Whats your background?

I know you say that you should be able to afford it but you do realise that you'll be charged £9000 per year for the first four years of the course, don't you? I'm not sure if you would get a tuition fee loan for that (you should check the medicine wiki page and track down that info if you haven't already: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

My background is too messy to go into much but I'm currently in the last year of a philosophy degree and am applying to 2-3 medical schools this October (non-science degree = limited choices big time)
Original post by fabregassed
Your grades are fine. Got more than I did.

Whats your work experience like?

I got a really bad score in my ukcat at 2240, do you think aberdeen will like me with 3 A's at AS and a c
2A'S and 1 A* predicted A2?
i'm so worried that my c grade and bad ukcat score means i can't apply to aberdeen
Original post by izzypetrie
i got below average score in my ukcat, is it even worth the application to aberdeen?

ukcat is worth 8%, which isn't a lot really, so it's up to you whether on not you think everything else on your application is up to scratch.
Reply 1996
Original post by Zedd
I know you say that you should be able to afford it but you do realise that you'll be charged £9000 per year for the first four years of the course, don't you? I'm not sure if you would get a tuition fee loan for that (you should check the medicine wiki page and track down that info if you haven't already: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

My background is too messy to go into much but I'm currently in the last year of a philosophy degree and am applying to 2-3 medical schools this October (non-science degree = limited choices big time)

I spent the whole of last year trying to answer that question. :frown: I know its very large sum of money per year but i think i should be able to cover the costs if i earn enough in summer and a bit of helping hand from family should help me through it. If i am not wrong I am not entitled to any tuition fee loan which i didnt even take out in my current degree so I am currently debt free! But I am entitled to maintenance loan despite being a graduate.

So right now all I hoping for is an interview perhaps than an offer if i ever make it to that stage than funding will be a very big factor! But I would rather deal with funding headache than this application process!! What about Warwick and other GEPs? Are you a scottish student by any chance?

Reply 1997
What about Warwick and other GEPs? Are you a scottish student by any chance?

Yes I'm Scottish, so unfortunately I'm ineligible for support on GEPs, otherwise I'd be including Warwick and KCL in my 4 medicine applications.
Reply 1998
Original post by Zedd
Yes I'm Scottish, so unfortunately I'm ineligible for support on GEPs, otherwise I'd be including Warwick and KCL in my 4 medicine applications.

Sounds like another hurdle being put in place to make it harder for us applicants. But i guess you wont pay as much as English applicants? Have you done UKCAT yet? How did you do?

Reply 1999
Sounds like another hurdle being put in place to make it harder for us applicants. But i guess you wont pay as much as English applicants? Have you done UKCAT yet? How did you do?

Erm, well English graduate applicants are mostly limited to GEPs which are mostly funded so I'd say they are better off in that regard. I got a puny 657.5 average on my UKCAT which I'm quite annoyed about (moderator walked into the test twice) but I just have to take it on the chin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending