The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leavemyarcelona
:fatcontroller:

Medicine, for the most part, is sickeningly middle class.
Original post by Ergo

I think there's some time to spare for work during the weekends or weekday nights? Have you decided where to firm by the way? :smile:

Nope! Still waiting for Leicester to decide :frown:
got official ucas confirmation letter today, along with offer letter from aberdeen, exciting stuff :biggrin: i love getting post too much
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
In first year most days will be 9-1 or 9-3 with the very occasional 9-5. I suppose some people in the year do have jobs at Tesco and the like....but not very many. To tell you the truth very few medics have jobs, due many to their affluence as opposed to lack of time :rolleyes:

So it is not very difficult working part time as a medic student?

got official ucas confirmation letter today, along with offer letter from aberdeen, exciting stuff i love getting post too much

I got my offer letter from Aberdeen today too! I was hoping it is that information pack which says on UCAS track though))
Original post by Annie2129

Depends on what jobs are available and what sort of job you wanted, it can get quite physical tiring studying medicine without a part time job and it needs to be fairly flexible so you can time off around exams. Even in 1st year there are going to be weeks were you have classes at uni for 25 or 30 hours.

In my opinion there is more than enough time in the week to have a job. You just need a job which allows you to work in that time :tongue:

If you could find a job which was evenings or weekends then you shouldn't have an issue.
Original post by atomos
got official ucas confirmation letter today, along with offer letter from aberdeen, exciting stuff :biggrin: i love getting post too much

Same here hehe. Do u know what we are should do about the PVG check? Are we suppose to just wait until we recieve a form? :biggrin:
Original post by Blobefish
Same here hehe. Do u know what we are should do about the PVG check? Are we suppose to just wait until we recieve a form? :biggrin:

I think you just wait to get the form) I think that's what it says in the official letter on the applicant portal))
Original post by Blobefish

I think you just wait to get the form) I think that's what it says in the official letter on the applicant portal))

The uni will be in touch in due course. They even pay for it :rolleyes:
Guys who live in Aberdeen, would you say Aberdeen or areas around hospital and King's College are hilly? I am thinking of cycling rather than walking:rolleyes:
Guys who live in Aberdeen, would you say Aberdeen or areas around hospital and King's College are hilly? I am thinking of cycling rather than walking:rolleyes:

There's a fair slope up to the medical school along the Cornhill road, but it's definately cycleable! The medical school has bike lockers as well as the usual rails to secure your bike to.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
There's a fair slope up to the medical school along the Cornhill road, but it's definately cycleable! The medical school has bike lockers as well as the usual rails to secure your bike to.

Thank you! Just googled it, it looks better than I thought :smile:
A few questions regarding assessment, if anyone can help.

1. What percentage in preclinical years is exam based and what percentage continuous?

2. Are there two exam diets each year and if so do these count equally to pass/fail? When are these? And how much time off is there to revise beforehand?

3. What sort of format do the exams generally follow? Are past papers available?

Thanks.
Original post by MagicStars
A few questions regarding assessment, if anyone can help.

1. What percentage in preclinical years is exam based and what percentage continuous?

2. Are there two exam diets each year and if so do these count equally to pass/fail? When are these? And how much time off is there to revise beforehand?

3. What sort of format do the exams generally follow? Are past papers available?

Thanks.

Before you go on placement it is all exam based really - bar the SSCs (special study modules for which you write reports and do a presentation, as a group in younger years).

There are only 2 exam diets a year in 1st year apart from that there is only 1. First year january exams you get your Christmas holidays (3 weeks) to revise, for the summer exams 1 week plus the time in SSC when you have no lectures. 2nd year exams are just now (halfway through, woo!), we had 2 revision weeks and 3 weeks Easter holiday - though are exams are on 4 consecutive days and we start back in lectures next week. Oh and the 2 exam diets in 1st year are of equal importance, though if you fail in january you can resit in may as well as august.

Exams - multiple choice/single best answer followed by short answer questions around scenarios generally for the writtens. Anatomy and clinical skills examined in seperate station based exams. (though anatomy is 1 minute per q and written).

There are a few past paper questions drifting about but not many that are useful especially with the course change, you get a practise exam for each bit of the course though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you - that was really helpful :smile:
Original post by TheRabbit
Oh and the 2 exam diets in 1st year are of equal importance, though if you fail in january you can resit in may as well as august.

Has the weighting for basic science been dropped now then? It used to be worth something ridiculous like 40 credits when every other module was 20. Still feeling the effects of that dragging my average down several years on.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Has the weighting for basic science been dropped now then? It used to be worth something ridiculous like 40 credits when every other module was 20. Still feeling the effects of that dragging my average down several years on.

Well there are two science courses at the start of 1st year so its the same as half of first year - worth 20 and 15 respectively, with the 1st term anatomy being worth 5. That is versus 1st year systems being worth 20 and the osce/opse (clinical/anatomy) worth 20.

2nd year stuff I notice is 30 credits for systems and 30 for osce/ospe (clinical/anatomy).
Hey guys, what are the good and bad points about the teaching (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc.) in Aberdeen? :smile:
Original post by angelscape
Hey guys, what are the good and bad points about the teaching (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc.) in Aberdeen? :smile:

If you look back at the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread there are pros and cons from current students :smile:
How are student selected components like? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending