The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Is the University of dundee good?

Scroll to see replies

Dundee is really nice

i went to visit my cousin who is currently studying there, and she loves it, says everyone is really cool and nice and the university is in a good location
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Original post by DanBrwn
Sorry, let me re-phrase what I said. Dundee has one of the worst drugs problems in Scotland. If the results were taken as offenses to the population I imagine it would be far higher. Almost everyone I have spoken to that is in the police (A lot, my parents are both in the police and my dad is a chief inspector) has said - when asked - that Dundee is a cocaine capital for Scotland which is only backed up by the last two big drugs busts in Dundee which seized £50,000 and £20,000 of cocaine.

Perhaps you should take a gap year to mature a little because "HAAAA" isn't generally accepted as a remotely mature come back to someone. Aslo I would like to add that not once have I been stereotypical about anyone, perhaps if you read my comments you would see that. Stop being so ignorant.

Drugs aren't anything to do with the university or the surrounding areas. If you've ever been to that area you would know that by even just looking around. Snap judgements are easy to make, as is also shown by your "Perhaps I should take a gap year" comment. Really? You're a child. Grow up and stop being mean online. I was trying to be helpful towards someone who asked about the area of the uni. I didn't mean to come off 'immature', just trying to lighten the situation a little..... Obviously didn't work cause you seem a bit of a weiner. OOPS is that being immature!???
Reply 22
Original post by Jessicalily

Drugs aren't anything to do with the university or the surrounding areas. If you've ever been to that area you would know that by even just looking around. Snap judgements are easy to make, as is also shown by your "Perhaps I should take a gap year" comment. Really? You're a child. Grow up and stop being mean online. I was trying to be helpful towards someone who asked about the area of the uni. I didn't mean to come off 'immature', just trying to lighten the situation a little..... Obviously didn't work cause you seem a bit of a weiner. OOPS is that being immature!???

She asked about the university and Dundee. As for you calling me a child? I am speechless. I am not being mean its just that idiots like you wont face facts because you are protective over anything you are related to.
Reply 23
Original post by DanBrwn
Sorry, let me re-phrase what I said. Dundee has one of the worst drugs problems in Scotland. If the results were taken as offenses to the population I imagine it would be far higher. Almost everyone I have spoken to that is in the police (A lot, my parents are both in the police and my dad is a chief inspector) has said - when asked - that Dundee is a cocaine capital for Scotland which is only backed up by the last two big drugs busts in Dundee which seized £50,000 and £20,000 of cocaine.

Perhaps you should take a gap year to mature a little because "HAAAA" isn't generally accepted as a remotely mature come back to someone. Aslo I would like to add that not once have I been stereotypical about anyone, perhaps if you read my comments you would see that. Stop being so ignorant.

Yes there are areas with drug problems, but the student district is not one of them and is very far from said areas- the drug issues are very unlikely to affect students.
I would imagine that Glasgow has an overall more serious drugs problem, and being the knife crime capital of Europe probably poses more danger to students, but again, such problems are generally lesser in student areas.
Reply 24
Original post by akj08
Yes there are areas with drug problems, but the student district is not one of them and is very far from said areas- the drug issues are very unlikely to affect students.
I would imagine that Glasgow has an overall more serious drugs problem, and being the knife crime capital of Europe probably poses more danger to students, but again, such problems are generally lesser in student areas.

Agree with this, I've lived in Dundee for a year now and have never once encountered any thing more than students smoking weed.

You see the odd homeless person or wandering junkie sometimes in town, but you get that in nearly every city in the world.
Reply 25
Original post by akj08

Original post by akj08

Yes, I have expressed that I know that several times...
Reply 26
Original post by DanBrwn
Yes, I have expressed that I know that several times...

OK, you just seemed to be going on about the cocaine problem, which I don't see as being particularly relevant for prospective students, given that it is in select, non-student areas.
Original post by DanBrwn
She asked about the university and Dundee. As for you calling me a child? I am speechless. I am not being mean its just that idiots like you wont face facts because you are protective over anything you are related to.

It makes me happy that I made you speechless.
But seriously, sorry if i was nasty. I had the same views as you before I went to Dundee, after living there for a year you can tell I'm pretty in love with the place. Good luck with your move to Edinburgh mate
Reply 28
Original post by akj08

Original post by akj08
OK, you just seemed to be going on about the cocaine problem, which I don't see as being particularly relevant for prospective students, given that it is in select, non-student areas.

She said she wanted to know everything. Not just things in student areas so I told her
Original post by DanBrwn
She said she wanted to know everything. Not just things in student areas so I told her

But you don't know the area....
Reply 30

But you don't know the area....

I dont need to know the area. I have been there about 5 times and can see on the internet and from reliable sources that it has a big drugs problem. Im sure the uni is great but you need to come to accept it. End of.
Reply 31
Original post by DanBrwn

But it's not something that's really specific to Dundee. There are pockets with drug problems in every city; many moreso than Dundee.
Reply 32
Original post by DanBrwn
Yes but Im just saying that among police and other authorities Dundee is considered to be one of the worst cities in Scotland, as well as it being a rather unpleasant place visually. But obviously it is totally up to you...

I've always thought Dundee is quite attractive really. In geographical terms, it's probably one of the best positioned cities in the UK - looking out over the Tay, some nice hills to the west, good sunsets and so forth. In the city itself, a lot of the architecture is good - I just think there's too much focus on the Murraygate, which is - as you perhaps rightly suggest - a bit run-down.

I suspect reconnecting the city with the waterfront, as is the current development plan, will perhaps move the focus away from that end of the centre to the west, but we're talking about a long-term process here. I think that will improve the place immeasurably as some of the under-used commercial streets can regain their old glory, there will be more activity around the university and what developers call the "Cultural Quarter". Very promising really.

I get the feeling I'm rambling a bit here...

Original post by DanBrwn

Considering the way 'street value' is determined, that's not really very much in cocaine terms. Anyway, cocaine is not a drug that causes significant social problems - it is (although less so nowadays) a middle-class drug and a "party drug".
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DanBrwn
I dont need to know the area. I have been there about 5 times and can see on the internet and from reliable sources that it has a big drugs problem. Im sure the uni is great but you need to come to accept it. End of.

You do need to know the area. If you look at where the actual drug problems are in any city, it's generally NOT in student areas or where students would even bother going... The student area is gorgeous. The druggy area is not, but it's also well out of the way. I've never known anyone to have even visited these areas. Can I ask which area you visited in Dundee? I refuse to accept that students have anything to worry about or to do with the drug problem, thats very narrowminded. Especially for someone whos only visited areas of the city. Glasgow has a very bad drugs problem but its no where near the uni which is again ranked as one of the most respected uni. Likewise with Edinburgh.

Also, I don't know why you're arguing with people who live there... When you yourself have only visited a few times and know nothing about living in the city :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34

You do need to know the area.....

Are you completely brain dead? She wants to know EVERYTHING not just the student areas. Im sure the student areas are lovely but I am telling what I know. Stop trying to argue the facts. Im not trying to argue yours.
Original post by DanBrwn
Are you completely brain dead? She wants to know EVERYTHING not just the student areas. Im sure the student areas are lovely but I am telling what I know. Stop trying to argue the facts. Im not trying to argue yours.

Excuse me!! You rude little weird kid, what was the point in that!?
YOU HARDLY COVERED EVERYTHING WITH YOUR NARROWMINDED POINT THAT 'DRUGS IS BAD IN DUNDEE". You only decided to cover drugs and that you think it's ugly, is that your enterpritation of 'everything' you need to know? Is that why you picked your uni? you're silly. I'm not arguing facts, I'm arguing that you're not the person to tell someone everything about a city and uni that you're not at and that you've rarely visited. You're telling her what you know, you know NOTHING about the place if you've visited 5 times!! I've had baths longer than your visits to dundee I bet!! if they asked for info on where you live, or your uni that would be fine. But you're not equipt to answer her question, just to fill up peoples heads with nonsense about drugs and such.
(edited 12 years ago)
What kind of question is.... "Is the university of Dundee good?"

Please do some research before coming on here.
Reply 37

Excuse me!! You rude little weird kid, what was the point in that!?
YOU HARDLY COVERED EVERYTHING WITH YOUR NARROWMINDED POINT THAT 'DRUGS IS BAD IN DUNDEE". You only decided to cover drugs and that you think it's ugly, is that your enterpritation of 'everything' you need to know? Is that why you picked your uni? you're silly. I'm not arguing facts, I'm arguing that you're not the person to tell someone everything about a city and uni that you're not at and that you've rarely visited. if they asked for info on where you live, or your uni that would be fine. But you're not equipt to answer her question, just to fill up peoples heads with nonsense about drugs and such.

Weird little kid? You truly are short of vocabulary.

-Sigh-
I was referring to her wanting to know everything not just the facts about student areas. Obviously I didnt tell her everything because I do not know everything. I have only said what I know.

What I am saying is that Im sure that the student area is lovely BUT it is a known fact the Dundee has a drugs problem. That is all. Im not saying it is a **** hole. Im just saying what I know.
Original post by DanBrwn
Weird little kid? You truly are short of vocabulary.

-Sigh-
I was referring to her wanting to know everything not just the facts about student areas. Obviously I didnt tell her everything because I do not know everything. I have only said what I know.

What I am saying is that Im sure that the student area is lovely BUT it is a known fact the Dundee has a drugs problem. That is all. Im not saying it is a **** hole. Im just saying what I know.

phaaa, my mums got an english phd and is a lecturer at a scottish uni, i'm not short on vocabulary. You're maybe short on brain cells though. KAPOWWW!

Whatever. I'm seriously just glad you wont be in Dundee next year :smile: catch you later haterrr xx
Reply 39

phaaa, my mums got an english phd and is a lecturer at a scottish uni, i'm not short on vocabulary. You're maybe short on brain cells though. KAPOWWW!

Whatever. I'm seriously just glad you wont be in Dundee next year :smile: catch you later haterrr xx

Cool. Because your mum is good at english means you are as good. Nice logic.

Bye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending