The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Is the University of dundee good?

I wanted to know everything about dundee. Is it good for engineering? Is it friendly? How well is the university reputed and what about its city ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ASRAlfaz
I wanted to know everything about dundee. Is it good for engineering? Is it friendly? How well is the university reputed and what about its city ?

It's really good for engineering. What type are you looking at? my boyfriend does mechanical eng. and i have friends who do civil too. Due to dundee being a student city, it's really friendly. The center and west end are lovely, all very easy to navigate and everything's within walking distance (i've never taken a taxi!). The uni has a good reputation in scotland and britain, it's top in scotland for medicine and dentistry, and has the best Union in scotland. Also, because it's not NUS affiliated, the drinks are cheaper ;D! The social side of the uni is also amazing, with lots of clubs and societys to join, they're all very friendly and have annual awards ceremonies. Go to the next open day maybe? If you have any questions let me know :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by Jessicalily
It's really good for engineering. What type are you looking at? my boyfriend does mechanical eng. and i have friends who do civil too. Due to dundee being a student city, it's really friendly. The center and west end are lovely, all very easy to navigate and everything's within walking distance (i've never taken a taxi!). The uni has a good reputation in scotland and britain, it's top in scotland for medicine and dentistry, and has the best Union in scotland. Also, because it's not NUS affiliated, the drinks are cheaper ;D! The social side of the uni is also amazing, with lots of clubs and societys to join, they're all very friendly and have annual awards ceremonies. Go to the next open day maybe? If you have any questions let me know :smile:

How easy/hard is it to get a pt-job. Preferably in a bar/nightclub?
Reply 3
As a city Dundee is a pretty ugly place with one of the worst drug problems in the uk. As for the uni... not a clue
Reply 4
Original post by bestofyou
How easy/hard is it to get a pt-job. Preferably in a bar/nightclub?

Pretty hard.. But thats just now anyway, lots of people are applying just now so lots of competition. Hand in CVs everywhere tho cause theres loads of pubs and a few clubs. The Union's always a good shot too.

Original post by DanBrwn
As a city Dundee is a pretty ugly place with one of the worst drug problems in the uk. As for the uni... not a clue

the drug problem in Dundee is not located anywhere near to the uni, it's much further north/east. i've never encountered any problems, and don't know anyone who has. It's much the same as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or any big city - there's always gonna be a place where drugs are a problem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Pretty hard.. But thats just now anyway, lots of people are applying just now so lots of competition. Hand in CVs everywhere tho cause theres loads of pubs and a few clubs. The Union's always a good shot too.

****ttttt.....

That sucks. I've already applied for the union, they've closed their apps. on the 12th. But the sounds of it thats my best chance, even that seems unlikely though. Oh well, looks like I'll just strave this year...
Reply 6
****ttttt.....

That sucks. I've already applied for the union, they've closed their apps. on the 12th. But the sounds of it thats my best chance, even that seems unlikely though. Oh well, looks like I'll just strave this year...

I have lots of friends with jobs, but they were all in like 2nd/3rd year.. I don't think I knew anyone with a job in first year now I think about it! Ah yeh me too, what did you apply for? I applied for bar work, i've got a years experience so that sorta helps - fingers crossed we get something eh!!
Reply 7

the drug problem in Dundee is not located anywhere near to the uni, it's much further north/east. i've never encountered any problems, and don't know anyone who has. It's much the same as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen or any big city - there's always gonna be a place where drugs are a problem.

Yes but Im just saying that among police and other authorities Dundee is considered to be one of the worst cities in Scotland, as well as it being a rather unpleasant place visually. But obviously it is totally up to you...
Reply 8
I have lots of friends with jobs, but they were all in like 2nd/3rd year.. I don't think I knew anyone with a job in first year now I think about it! Ah yeh me too, what did you apply for? I applied for bar work, i've got a years experience so that sorta helps - fingers crossed we get something eh!!

Yeah bar staff as well. I've got experience to. If I don't get a job I'll have a month work back here during the semester break (but I really don't wana go back to my ****ty job at christmas again).lol

Did you apply online or post it? And did you apply for the vaccancy on the dite, or just send in the app. for when vaccancies pop up?
Reply 9
Yeah bar staff as well. I've got experience to. If I don't get a job I'll have a month work back here during the semester break (but I really don't wana go back to my ****ty job at christmas again).lol

Did you apply online or post it? And did you apply for the vaccancy on the dite, or just send in the app. for when vaccancies pop up?

Aww haha, maybe keep your job at home just incase!! Thats what I did last year, just went home to work for a bit in holidays. Where are you from?

I just downloaded the app form and emailed it, but i know someone who handed it into the union directly and they got a job... Soooo :s-smilie:!! I just applied for the bar staff one, i don't know what you mean?? haha sorry
Dundee is really good for civil engineering. It's also really good for a few other subjects, too. The city itself isn't that nice.

I think it's a very good back-up for an A-level student as it typically makes very generous offers to them.
Original post by DanBrwn
Yes but Im just saying that among police and other authorities Dundee is considered to be one of the worst cities in Scotland, as well as it being a rather unpleasant place visually. But obviously it is totally up to you...

It might be considered bad in the northern areas, but it'd literally be a MISSION for a student to get there from campus. So thats a bit of a moot point isnt it. Have you even been to the west end or the uni? It's so pretty, very green. You've cleeeerly been to Hilltown and kingsway area if thats what you think of it. Where are you from? I'm sure theres fugly places where you are too. It's a developing city, it's only getting better :smile:
Reply 12

It might be considered bad in the northern areas, but it'd literally be a MISSION for a student to get there from campus. So thats a bit of a moot point isnt it. Have you even been to the west end or the uni? It's so pretty, very green. You've cleeeerly been to Hilltown and kingsway area if thats what you think of it. Where are you from? I'm sure theres fugly places where you are too. It's a developing city, it's only getting better :smile:

Im from the Highlands of Scotland and am going to study in Edinburgh. Im not trying to argue with you and yes I have been round most of Dundee but I was merely stating my opinion which was asked for, but lets be honest... the actual city is self which is to an extent a little run down
Reply 13
The uni has a good reputation in scotland and britain, it's top in scotland for medicine and dentistry, and has the best Union in scotland.

Edinburgh University is top for medicine in scotland. As for engineering it varies quite a bit for each discipline. Potentially better to go to a uni in the Russell Group. I don't know how much of an advantage this is in terms of engineering but alot of companies have preference to students from such universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Aww haha, maybe keep your job at home just incase!! Thats what I did last year, just went home to work for a bit in holidays. Where are you from?

I just downloaded the app form and emailed it, but i know someone who handed it into the union directly and they got a job... Soooo :s-smilie:!! I just applied for the bar staff one, i don't know what you mean?? haha sorry

South Derry, yourself?

Emm, there was the 'work for us' link that had a description etc of all the jobs. There was an application to download and send in on that page.

Then there was a 'job vaccenies' link. That had the vaccancies, pay, ref. number and closing dates etc. It just had a email at the top of the page saying to email it when complete. But on the app. it said to send it to the physical address. I emailed it as it was the day before the closing date. But I'm really not holding my breath.
South Derry, yourself?

Emm, there was the 'work for us' link that had a description etc of all the jobs. There was an application to download and send in on that page.

Then there was a 'job vaccenies' link. That had the vaccancies, pay, ref. number and closing dates etc. It just had a email at the top of the page saying to email it when complete. But on the app. it said to send it to the physical address. I emailed it as it was the day before the closing date. But I'm really not holding my breath.

I'm from near Stirling :smile:

Oh right, i get what you mean. I was on the job vacancies list and just emailed it in a few days ago. The bar work's end date is the 19th, so you never know :smile: Let me know if/when you hear back about it!
I'm from near Stirling :smile:

Oh right, i get what you mean. I was on the job vacancies list and just emailed it in a few days ago. The bar work's end date is the 19th, so you never know :smile: Let me know if/when you hear back about it!

Yeah I was the same. Was it for a supervisor role though? It just said 'bar staff' then below said supervisor.

Will do, I'll trust you'll do the same? Though tbh I think it's a bigger if than a when in my case at least.haha
Yeah I was the same. Was it for a supervisor role though? It just said 'bar staff' then below said supervisor.

Will do, I'll trust you'll do the same? Though tbh I think it's a bigger if than a when in my case at least.haha

Pah, god no, i doubt they'd put a first or 2nd year as a supervisor anyway.

Yeh I'll let you know! Hopefully it'll be around the 19th, here's hoping anyway.
why the neg!?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DanBrwn

I had to prove you wrong in some way about this, so i did a little bit of research. Have a look at this. http://www.upmystreet.com/article/local-area/best-and-worst-crime-areas-scotland-drug-offences.html I didn't find any evidence that Dundee has the worst drug problem in the uk according to police so HAAAA, stop trying to put that in the minds of people who might be considering Dundee. Just because you're going to Edinburgh, where to be steriotypical like you were, they're all either posh, or folk with too much money who just spend it on drugs and weed and going to dubstep nights.
Reply 19
Sorry, let me re-phrase what I said. Dundee has one of the worst drugs problems in Scotland. If the results were taken as offenses to the population I imagine it would be far higher. Almost everyone I have spoken to that is in the police (A lot, my parents are both in the police and my dad is a chief inspector) has said - when asked - that Dundee is a cocaine capital for Scotland which is only backed up by the last two big drugs busts in Dundee which seized £50,000 and £20,000 of cocaine.

Perhaps you should take a gap year to mature a little because "HAAAA" isn't generally accepted as a remotely mature come back to someone. Aslo I would like to add that not once have I been stereotypical about anyone, perhaps if you read my comments you would see that. Stop being so ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending