The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i just realised that i wear mine for around 16 hours a day! That cant be good ......
Reply 21
Yep, I'm pretty sure you can get lenses which you wear continuously for 30 days, ie. you sleep in them and everything! Cant be good for your eyes though, surely?
Reply 22
I always keep a spare pair of contact lenses, in case of emergencies - so for example, I haven't yet thrown out my December contact lenses. Ive kept just in case I tear this months and really need some contact lenses. Saying that Ive only ever had a couple of emergencies and its been towards the end of a month when new contacts are coming along anyway.
dooby
Yep, I'm pretty sure you can get lenses which you wear continuously for 30 days, ie. you sleep in them and everything! Cant be good for your eyes though, surely?

You can but like you said they are can't be too good for ur eyes!
Pink Sparkles
i just realised that i wear mine for around 16 hours a day! That cant be good ......

No. You are starving the eye of vital oxygen. Contact lenses are gas permeable to a certain extent but wearing them for long periods of time is dangerous! Do you were them everyday too? It might be an idea to maybe give your eyes a break at weekends.

Quote from "Diagnosis and Management of Ocular Motility Disorders" by Ansons and Davis:

"Soft Contact Lenses

If these are of fairly low water content they must be removed daily, but if the water content is high they can be left in situ for longer periods."

My contact lenses (monthly torics) should only be worn for 10-12 hours a day. However your eyes do need breaks!!
The extended wear ones are ok, but you shouldn't actually leave them in for a whole month at once, even though they last a month with continuous wear. My friend has them and her optician chewed her out because she'd been wearing them all the time and apparently she should have had a night not wearing them once a week and put more wetting solution in. I'm about to try some Acuvue Toric which are flexible - you can either wear them solidly for 1 week or take them out at night and have them for 2 weeks, and presumably also mix and match. Hope they work, cos extended wear ones would be so convenient!
Reply 26
yes you can wear them for over 30 days bout you're not meant to.
Reply 27
The extended wears (silicone hydrogels I think) are technically fine to wear for 30-days continuously, but obviously it's not recommended. They do let a lot more oxygen pass through the lens to the eye than conventional lenses, though, and resist the build-up of protein/lipids a bit better than conventional lenses, which I suppose are the main reasons why they are approved for continuous wear.

I use soft lenses though, since my astigmatism is such that I'm wearing a lens that's 75 off my astig (which is too high) with normal toric lenses, and extended wear lens manufacturers have yet to come out with lenses with astig high enough that I can use. At any rate, I usually toss my lenses after a month, even if I haven't worn them much during the month. Just seems a bit odd to leave it soaking in solution all the time, and after a while I get freaked out at the thought of putting them onto my eye and just toss them. I AM saving a lot by wearing glasses a lot before opening a new pack of contacts though (I've worn glasses for the past month, though intending to open another new set soon). Oh and by wearing glasses during exam weeks because I can't be bothered with all the hassle of putting on/taking off lenses when I'd rather be studying or with the hassle of bringing eyedrops into the exam hall. =)
Reply 28
omg me n about 5 of my other mates and cousins we wear our non prescription contacts for about a year .. the 30 days ones .. but i dont wear mine everyday and if i do its only for 5 - 6 hours
my cousin wore her demo ones for 6 months everyday her eyes are fine
and no were not tramps
LOL
HHAHAHA
Reply 29
-x-buttercup-x-
I have them and were told as long as I didnt wear them daily they would last longer, my optician said if i only wore them to go out they could probably last me 4 months, each one for 2 months

thats what i asked my opticain she said that once opened from original packaging they must only be used for 30 dys no matter how many times you wear them. after 30 days throw them away.
posh_git
...can you wear them for more than 30days?!
Well you're meant to wear the lenses until whatever day they expire, and if you wear them any more than that, then yes they will iritate your eyes.

Don't do it (my friend works at an Optomitrist and has plenty of stories to tell if you want further encouragement :cool: ).
Reply 31
yeh you can i sometimes accidentally leave them in for longer and my eyes are fine..except for the fact i need them in the first place
Reply 32
amz_k_456
omg me n about 5 of my other mates and cousins we wear our non prescription contacts for about a year .. the 30 days ones .. but i dont wear mine everyday and if i do its only for 5 - 6 hours
my cousin wore her demo ones for 6 months everyday her eyes are fine
and no were not tramps
LOL
HHAHAHA

The question is whether you'd want to play it safe, or to take the risk and possibly save a bit.

The thing too, is that while contacts may FEEL fine, they may not actually be fine for your eyes to wear, due to bacterial buildup, protein buildup, lipid buildup, etcetc.

There're plenty of horror stories (which are TRUE), if you're unconvinced find any doctor who has worked in the opthalmology department of a hospital...
Reply 33
Does everyone else find these comfy??? I tried them and they were a nightmare, i lasted about half a day... i'm such a weakling lol! But i'm going away soon and want to get some for when I'm on hol!! Anyone recommend any comfy types??
Reply 34
psyche87
The question is whether you'd want to play it safe, or to take the risk and possibly save a bit.

The thing too, is that while contacts may FEEL fine, they may not actually be fine for your eyes to wear, due to bacterial buildup, protein buildup, lipid buildup, etcetc.

There're plenty of horror stories (which are TRUE), if you're unconvinced find any doctor who has worked in the opthalmology department of a hospital...

oh naa its all ******** .. i do play it safe LOL .. as long as u clean them properly everyday u can wear them for 6 months at least and theyll be fine i aint even lying theyre safe .. enough mates of mine do it .. bacteria will build up but as long as u clean them properly ull be fine .. the rest is ********
LOL
hmm xx
Reply 35
Thing is even if there's bacterial buildup you supposedly won't know until it's too late. Besides that there's still protein build-up, which isn't killed by hydrogen peroxide or normal cleaning solutions. Even if you use protein tablets and daily cleaners which you should be doing if you wear your lenses for more than a month there's still going to be some biofilm left on the lenses. So oxygen penetration of the lenses decreases, and you end up with your eyes getting much less oxygen than you're probably supposed to get.

You know, I actually considered wearing my lenses for more than a month, but never went beyond a few days more. Too many horror stories from my sis who saw lots of cases of eye infection from contact lenses when she was working at some hospital department... (It DOES happen.)
Reply 36
:ditto: to most posts.

If they feel uncomfortable, stop wearing them.
However, if they feel just fine and you don't notice anything unusual (ie. eyes getting sore, drying, generally uncomfortable, and the lenses appear to be completely fine) I don't see why that 30 days would be so definite. I usually wear mine until I notice they start making my eyes dryer quicker than they used to. Sometimes that's 30 days, sometimes 20, but other times I've worn them for 6 weeks. It all depends on several things.
Reply 37
I had to wear my 30 day ones for a few days extra at one point, and I could actually feel that they were wearing out. My vision was blurred and they were very uncomfortable, so I really wouldn't recommend it, especially if you live in a polluted town or city like I do.

-Becs

Latest

Trending

Trending