The Student Room Group

Tips for Highers?

Hey, I have currently started S5. I am sitting five Highers - English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.
Can anyone please tell me the best advice on how to get a good grade on each subject?
I really want to do well this year and achieve for the best possible.
I have heard alot of things from people on studying but i think its a better idea to ask people who have experience on the same subjects.
is it a good idea to start revising as the year progresses?

My S.G results were Five 1's and Three 3's.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Welcome:smile:
I can only give excellent general advice in how to get good grades on any subject and specific advise only on English and Chemistry.
Have a good time!!!
Reply 2
Thanks Zoya I'd be happy to listen to what you have in mind.. If there is any advice you can give that I may not know please ago ahead. I need all the help I can :smile:
Reply 3
How much do you study? And how long? Do you take breaks?
Okay did you know that an hour or two of studying with concentration is more productive than a whole night of studying with a tired mind? It's not only a fact but my own experience and observations:smile:
The studying you do even a week before exams is nothing compared to what you can do now. You can't get a year of studying in a week.
Your username is Aadil so I guess you're South Asian. Am I right...?
Reply 4
Original post by Aadil249
Hey, I have currently started S5. I am sitting five Highers - English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics.
Can anyone please tell me the best advice on how to get a good grade on each subject?
I have heard alot of things from people on studying but i think its a better idea to ask people who have experience on the same subjects.

Yes, you should revise as the year progresses. If you are unsure of anything, ask for help and don't leave it until its too late - keep on top of things from the start. Make sure you balance your revision equally between your subjects. Making your own notes will help and once you have revised a topic, try the past paper questions.
Reply 5
This was my routine for standard grades. I studied on a school day from around 5pm to 8.30pm with 10 minute breaks between each subject lasting around 1 hour 15 mins.
i have a timetable of the subjects i studied each day. on weekends near exam time i studied from 9am to around 6pm but with an hour between each subject.

By how much should i enhance the study time for highers? before i had 8 subjects to study for so now i will be able to cover more at one time.
My brain works best during mornings so i try not to study late.

Thats right Zoya only im from scotland lol.
Reply 6
Aadil
x.
Why did you give me negative rep??
Reply 7
sorry it was by accident. im new to this, is there a way to change it?
Reply 8
sorry it was by accident. im new to this, is there a way to change it?

Oh, that's ok. No, but it doesn't matter.

First of all, let me say you've picked some tough but ultimately rewarding (in the eyes of universities) subjects! You'll come out of 5th Year a changed person! Haha :smile: and well done on your SG results.

I sat English, Maths and Chemistry and I'd say for English it's all about work work work! I don't know if you're naturally talented in English, but make sure you work hard in those essays, hand in additional work, begin past papers early and make sure you obtain a good grade in the prelim (it could save your life!) In Maths, don't be afraid to ask for help and the same goes for Chemistry. I personally found Chemistry fairly easy, but I know a lot of people found the jump to Higher quite a big one from SG/Int 2, so ensure you get to grips with the calculations. This may click instantly or it may take a few months, but you'll get there in the end (I felt so great when I helped my friend finally understand them in April before the exam: "Ohhhh! I get it now!")

Good luck in Physics and Economics too, what grades are you aiming for and what do you want to do at uni?

Keep us posted :biggrin:
Reply 10
Thanks Matthew! i really wanted to pick subjects i enjoyed and also ones that would help for uni :L. Its only been 3 days of highers but i can see its going to be a tough year, but myself and my teachers know im a hard worker. what you just told me is great and very motivating!!
im aiming for atleast AAAAB in s5 so it sounds like a good idea to work hard 24/7 to get a great place at uni.
For a while i wanted to do medicine at glasgow uni but im not sure if thats what i want to be after being a technological person. ive got wok experience coming up at the hospital so ill see how that goes! Thanks again!!! :biggrin:
study study study! nothing more can really be said. do all of your homework and attend as much study support groups as you can. highers are nothing compared to standard grades, you NEED to put the work in. it'll get stressful but i can say that i'm so glad i didn't give up and i'm having a much easier year in s6 :smile:

"is it a good idea to start revising as the year progresses?" i would start revising as soon as you begin to get started with the course :smile: not many people do it(in my year anyways) but use the october holidays! i did this for geography and it made sure i didn't have to cram :smile:

good luck!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
thank you!!!! really helped!! :biggrin:
English and Physics require a bit of self study, I got Cs at both because I was lazy :biggrin:
Chemistry and Economics, not too sure.
Mathematics is fairly easy, If you like the course, it should be a breeze.

So basically, study, study, study :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by ohmisslaura
study study study! nothing more can really be said. do all of your homework and attend as much study support groups as you can. highers are nothing compared to standard grades, you NEED to put the work in. it'll get stressful but i can say that i'm so glad i didn't give up and i'm having a much easier year in s6 :smile:

"is it a good idea to start revising as the year progresses?" i would start revising as soon as you begin to get started with the course :smile: not many people do it(in my year anyways) but use the october holidays! i did this for geography and it made sure i didn't have to cram :smile:

good luck!!

Hey Just wondering what grades did you get in s5? :smile:
Here's my tip: Everyone is a potential A and they aren't difficult if you scrap for it. Do a lot of past papers in the lead up to the exam.
Reply 16
Make your notes now, so you are organised and prepared to revise for exam time!
Reply 17
So should I be making my own notes or summaries ?
It depends on YOU really. Play about with revision/study techniques throughout the year so you know what works. I was GIVEN to-the-point and concise notes for Biology and Chemistry last year, so those worked for me. But I had to make a lot of my own notes for English as there was no real structure to the teaching, just spent a lot of time on our texts.

Now I'm at AH I find it very useful to make my own notes for all subjects as it helps the information stick for me, no one can tell you how you best learn. But for me personally, I learn BEST through a mixture of techniques. Listening to someone while reading support material, speaking/explaining to others about the subject, and finding something that makes me actively think about the material. e.g higher route reading that stimulates me, or questions that make me dig out the knowledge, just generally DOING something with the knowledge in ways as simple as making the notes!
Reply 19
So should I be making my own notes or summaries ?

Whichever suits you! I like to summarise the notes I've made in class into bullet points and then highlight the important phrases etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending