The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well...

1) None of the uni accommodation is mixed-sex flats. They are all single-sex flats but mixed blocks, I believe this is to reduce the instances of rape but don't quote me on this.
2) I'm not sure if any of the flats allow smoking, you would probably have to go outside. The smoke/heat detectors go off every time someone burns toast and piss the firemen off no end, hence the lack of cigarettes... Everyone just sits on the steps outside and smokes though if they want.

3) I found with my form that they ignored every box I ticked. It's like a lottery :biggrin:

4) It's that lottery again :biggrin:

Scary about the rape thing!!
But I though A) all rooms had lockable doors, ie your flatmates can't get into your bedroom B) If there are no mixed sex flats in uni then why is there a question saying "Do you want accommodation in a mixed sex flat? Yes/No"
Surely there must be mixed sex flats!! And also the same about the smoking thing!

I'm getting very confused now :confused:
I'm sure I'll prob get put somewhere I don't wanna be, lol, will just have to go with the flow! We'll see....
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Perhaps it has changed then. However only from my experience there definitely weren't any mixed-sex flats...
Reply 22
we were sent an accommodation survey in the last 8 or so weeks which asked a few things; one of which was something about whether there should be mixed or single sex flats.
Reply 23
and you saaaaaid?
Obviously going by the new accommodation forms (just had a look, seems they have put them online this year too) that they have added an option for mixed flats, so they must be thinking of introducing it...
@ Shackelton:

How high would my actual chances be of getting into catered accomodation at Shackelton? There are 350 or so places....

I need catered, because I can't cook and I'll starve...
austrian guy
@ Shackelton:

How high would my actual chances be of getting into catered accomodation at Shackelton? There are 350 or so places....

I need catered, because I can't cook and I'll starve...

if you put catered down on your form you will get catered. however this might be meal plan at tennis courts too, bear in mind...

--------------

oh and also bear in mind that the place isn't open at weekends and isn't really open much at dinnertime either so you would have to cook for at least two days a week :p:
Ok, anybody here who's going to Birmingham who likes cooking??

Ok, I'll manage. If I can't cook, should I tick the "catered" box or should I try to survive differently... ?
Reply 28
i dont really like cooking but i will put up with it.I get the impression if i went catered i would get bored of a meal plan that wouldnt change much from week to week, any way in second and third year will have to cook for myself anyway. i might suffer for the first few months with my awful cooking but it can only get better, either that or i will just damage my taste buds so i cant tell its bad!
austrian guy
Ok, anybody here who's going to Birmingham who likes cooking??

Ok, I'll manage. If I can't cook, should I tick the "catered" box or should I try to survive differently... ?

i wouldn't worry... you'll soon learn to cook when you get fed up of cheese toasties :p:
and there is likely to be somebody in your flat willing to cook your food if you do their washing up.
infact,if I go to brum and end up in your flat (yes, unlikely :p: ) then i will... i hate washing up...
subterfuge
i wouldn't worry... you'll soon learn to cook when you get fed up of cheese toasties :p:
and there is likely to be somebody in your flat willing to cook your food if you do their washing up.
infact,if I go to brum and end up in your flat (yes, unlikely :p: ) then i will... i hate washing up...

yeah....

Now i'll tick the "mixed sex" box for sure...

That would be fun... I'll manage somehow. I hope I'm still as enthusiastic about Brum after I got my outstanding replies...
Reply 31
can someone at bham suggest which are the best self catering flats??? i take it elgar is the best?
elgar/tennis courts are some of the nicest apparently.

I think i'm guna scrawl all over my form when i get it "tennis courts, tennis courts", desperatly want to go there!
Reply 33
tennis courts look nice, elgar looks amazing but costs more than i could sell a kidney for on ebay :s-smilie:
Plus elgar has less spaces, so by putting "elgar pleeeaaasee!!" all over the form, you would be less likley to get in, and end up somewhere you dont want :wink:
CAFC
i dont really like cooking but i will put up with it.I get the impression if i went catered i would get bored of a meal plan that wouldnt change much from week to week, any way in second and third year will have to cook for myself anyway. i might suffer for the first few months with my awful cooking but it can only get better, either that or i will just damage my taste buds so i cant tell its bad!

meal plan offers quite a varied menu. it changes every week, sometimes they repeat dishes after a couple of months or so but they do so many things you don't really remember when you had what...if ya get me. and there are 2 places where you can go (fusion and rios) so if u dont fancy a proper meal you can grab a panini or sumthing like that.

you have to cook for yourselves at the weekend anyway...although our cooking is chuck a pizza in the oven on a saturday night and we cook a mini roast dinner at sunday tea time.
Reply 36
Anyone know if there are there tv aerial sockets in the halls?
there are, but the signal is quite often cack.
Reply 38
oh well i have a digital freeview usb stick for laptop so hopefully that will work
Reply 39
davesstones
Obviously going by the new accommodation forms (just had a look, seems they have put them online this year too) that they have added an option for mixed flats, so they must be thinking of introducing it...

It was there last year too because I remember being puzzled over it, especially since the brochure says that there aren't any. Weird. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending