The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast Medicine Apps 2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by karkarpops
Perfect advice! What time was yours on at? :frown:

I was on friday morning. I don't know If it went well or not. Honestly could not assess what they were looking for. Cant believe we have to wait until the start of March, forever away!
Reply 381
Original post by ringham33170
Evidence?

It's position in the league tables :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by d3ano
It's position in the league tables :smile:

d3ano,

Just to check that you're aware: you know when you apply for your F1 jobs, that MTAS is actually 'blind' to what University you studied Medicine at, right? That means that the league tables aren't the be-all-and-end-all. Quite a lot of times people from the Oxbridge section [which is high ranking] don't actually get their first pick of the jobs. A Doctor is a Doctor whether they studied at, say, Oxford, Keele, Edinburgh or QUB. When you graduate and go out into hospitals it's a real mixed bag of medics from various universities and I don't think it'd go down well if you went in with preconceived ideas of the med schools.

If you really aren't content and too much of a(n academic) snob to go to QUB [even though you don't even have an offer from them!!], then be sure to let them know that - I'm sure someone else would be very willing to take the place on this sub-standard course.

Sincerely,
An obviously retarded QUB medic
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by orie2261
d3ano,

Just to check that you're aware: you know when you apply for your F1 jobs, that MTAS is actually 'blind' to what University you studied Medicine at, right? That means that the league tables aren't the be-all-and-end-all. Quite a lot of times people from the Oxbridge section [which is high ranking] don't actually get their first pick of the jobs. A Doctor is a Doctor whether they studied at, say, Oxford, Keele, Edinburgh or QUB. When you graduate and go out into hospitals it's a real mixed bag of medics from various universities and I don't think it'd go down well if you went in with preconceived ideas of the med schools.

If you really aren't content and too much of a(n academic) snob to go to QUB [even though you don't even have an offer from them!!], then be sure to let them know that - I'm sure someone else would be very willing to take the place on this sub-standard course.

Sincerely,
An obviously retarded QUB medic

This deserves a + rep. My friend's in her 2nd year now and she's quite content with QUB :smile:
how have the interviews gone so far? :confused:
Original post by josemourinho
how have the interviews gone so far? :confused:

hard enough, but do-able, whens yours? :smile:
Reply 386
How did everyone's interview go then
Does anyone know how many offers they make?? And whether a certain number are kept for graduates / school leavers? ie. 50 for graduates and 100 for school leavers? or is just the first however many that score best in mmi no matter if theyre graduates or school leavers??
Think its 234 that what were told yesterday dint know how many goes to grads etc
Original post by cnugent180393
Think its 234 that what were told yesterday dint know how many goes to grads etc

I think 234 is the number of places in sept. From what I remember they said that it is the university that decides how many offers are to be made and that they didn't know yet. I think there would be maybe ~250-275 because obviously some people won't get the grades and others will go elsewhere. And we were told yesterday that they always underestimate which means some places are usually available in aug.As for the numbers, I think we were told that offers are made solely on the basis of MMIs however, if queens are wanting more grads then I'm not sure how they can ensure this by just ranking students after MMIs...wish they could give us numbers!
Reply 390
Original post by Rascal2011
I think 234 is the number of places in sept. From what I remember they said that it is the university that decides how many offers are to be made and that they didn't know yet. I think there would be maybe ~250-275 because obviously some people won't get the grades and others will go elsewhere. And we were told yesterday that they always underestimate which means some places are usually available in aug.As for the numbers, I think we were told that offers are made solely on the basis of MMIs however, if queens are wanting more grads then I'm not sure how they can ensure this by just ranking students after MMIs...wish they could give us numbers!

dont really know but does 234 places not sound like too much?
Reply 391
Original post by TheQuestion
Does anyone know how many offers they make?? And whether a certain number are kept for graduates / school leavers? ie. 50 for graduates and 100 for school leavers? or is just the first however many that score best in mmi no matter if theyre graduates or school leavers??

I think they took 25% grads this year. Im thinking maybe they rank grads and school leavers separately. This would only seem fair as grads have an advantage in the MMI's of actually having previously been in some of the scenarios tested in real life plus general life experience.

I reckon they have a certain amount of places allotted to each group.
Reply 392
Original post by Doctor2b
dont really know but does 234 places not sound like too much?

There are 273 medics in the first year now. But, I know that some of them got made offers post-results [I think they had to achieve a minimum of A*AA to be considered from the waiting list], so I'm not too sure how many offers were made in total last year.
Reply 393
There are 273 medics in the first year now. But, I know that some of them got made offers post-results [I think they had to achieve a minimum of A*AA to be considered from the waiting list], so I'm not too sure how many offers were made in total last year.

Hope so because everyone will be pleased to know that they should have higher than a one in two chance of being made an offer:biggrin:
Reply 394

Thats true :smile: had I not withdrawn from Ucas Qub said they would have reconsidered me when I got my results.. But that was of no help I withdrew in April and didn't get the letter until august haha :L
Reply 395
Anyone invent a way to make march come quicker?
Original post by karkarpops
Perfect advice! What time was yours on at? Mine was at 11.30 :smile: Didnt bump into any TSRers :frown:

Well that was unfortunate...
Me and my friend were standing outside of the bomedical library, just next to the stairs leading to the CSEC floor, hoping for some interviewees to make small talk with us.
Oh well, it wouldn't have made so much of a difference, it would probably have made you feel even more anxious.
Loved getting the interview early, hate the fact waiting till march will be the death of me
Really hope QUB give some cheeky late February offers :wink:
Reply 399
Anyone got offers/interviews from other places and is Belfast your 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending