The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at QUB?

Anyone for pharmacy at Queens? Or that will be living in Sycamore 7 in elms :smile: !
Reply 1
Original post by rebekah.
Anyone for pharmacy at Queens? Or that will be living in Sycamore 7 in elms :smile: !

Ahh I'm doing Pharmacy and got SYC07 too :biggrin: what floor are you on? :P xx
Reply 2
Wooo :biggrin: !! Im on the second floor, room 207.. what about you?? Have you got a list of what books we need or anythign like that yet :smile: ?
Reply 3
You'd be safer studying Hair dressing at a Tech rather than studying Pharmacy in NI.... I can just hear them now, these are exciting times for Pharmacy.... lol lol and lol again.
Reply 4
I was doing dentistry at queens but didn'tlike it so I am starting pharmacy at Queens in Sept 2012.. Any advice would be appreciated! Are there any books I should get? I hope to move away from N.I after I graduate:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Boneill
I was doing dentistry at queens but didn'tlike it so I am starting pharmacy at Queens in Sept 2012.. Any advice would be appreciated! Are there any books I should get? I hope to move away from N.I after I graduate:smile:

i just completed first year pharmacy at QUB, and really enjoyed it! a book list is given at each of your first lectures for each module, so dont worry about that, however they are quite dear like 60 quid a book!
You must be mad transferring from Dentistry to Pharmacy. There are no pharmacy jobs in Northern Ireland, Coleraine has also started a school of pharmacy therefore supply exceeds demand. When I was at QUB there were 70 in my class and quite a few of these including myself had to go to England to find work. There are still jobs in England but it is starting to become saturated aswell and it is not a very pleasant place to work, think inner city, drug addicts - methadone, needle exchange, no lunch breaks, forged prescriptions. Looking job satisfaction or professional respect then forget community pharmacy, it is a business not a profession. Hospital pharmacy is your best bet for patient interaction and some kind of career progression.
Dentistry is only an extra year and when you qualify the wages far exceed that of pharmacy. The average NHS dentist is on 60k plus per year, as a pharmacist you will not start on much over 25k ( in the north).
After 10 years of pharmacy I stopped working and transferred to a different career and I wish I had taken the advice of some people before I started who suggested that a pharmacist was a glorified greengrocer because to an extent they are correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending