The Student Room Group

Sounds like a stupid question, but why don't peole take LSD?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by n00
Have you ever had a flashback?

Are they not more just like deja vu, or simply just memories.

So not unlike what you get from any experience.

I think there's a distinction though between an hallucinatory flashback - like seeing colours or shape-shifting - and a more psychological one where you could be gripped by paranoia. The first kind are pretty rare, although I've had it happen a few times. The second kind, the sense of deja vu, can be very strong, can last for some time - minutes, hours even - and can occur over the course of several years.

With regard to tolerance - quite true that if you took a trip again the next day you probably wouldn't notice, as you'd still be out there. However, this can be overcome by doubling the dose. You'd really want a good couple of days in between though.

That drugs link is pretty spot on. Especially this bit:

Two or three times a week is possible but that is seriously heavy LSD use. Repeated doses of LSD can have a profound psychological effect, leaving you detached from normal reality

It can very significantly mess you up. And it takes a long time - many years - to come back.
Original post by Conor C
On Wikipedia, it says LSD is less physically addactive and does less physical harm than Marijuana, alcohol and tobacco. Why then would a lot of people not take it? The only real reason I can think of is because the high lasts upto 12 hours, but surly many people would like to experience it?

Also, with regards to flash backs, there has been much research into their causes and effects and there has been little evidence that they even exist.

Some reasons, off the top of my head:

1. Class A status puts people off (i.e. fear of being busted / imprisoned).

2. Low availability (possibly due to lack of demand...)

3. Not currently fashionable. Drugs seem to go through their highs and lows (pun intended) and I feel like it's currently the tail-end of cocaine central. Synthetic drugs and legal highs seem popular currently.

4. Misinformation. The usual 'Class A must mean it can kill you' BS. And some of the stuff seen in this thread ('the effects can last forever', etc).

5. Its unusual effects. Drugs are often an escape, whereas LSD - to some extent - is the opposite. Take cocaine, weed or pills and you're not yourself, your mind sort of switches off. Take LSD and your mind is exposed, wide awake and doing weird things. Look at Steve Jobs - corporate, serious work-ethic, etc - he says taking LSD is one of the most important things he's ever done. He wouldn't say that about smoking pot and eating a family-size bag of crisps in front of a **** sitcom.
Reply 102
Original post by rj1990
You sound a complete **** to be honest. "It was aight"....the truth is you probably took a stupidly small weak amount of LSD one night with your mates that hardly gave you any affect which makes you feel you can talk on here in the "Yeah, well, I took it, look at me, I'm fine it was aight"...

No it was completely non drug related. As are most cases of psychosis. Can't blame drugs for everything now can we?

Original post by rj1990

I've seen people tripping on LSD, and seen some scary ****. I've seen people run for miles because they think they're going to be killed by some **** they're imagining. I've seen people jumping on moving cars, only god knows how they didn't die those nights.

Its can be a completely crazy drug.

LSD makes you hallucinate, it doesn't make you believe the hallucinations are real. So the time you saw that guy who thought something was trying to kill him, is *******s. :rolleyes:

Anyway, replace "LSD" with "alcohol" and tell me what's the difference? Except one slowly kills you and the other doesn't.

It was scary **** to you, because you didn't understand it.

I've seen people start fights for no good reason, so drugged up they couldn't walk. Vomiting and urinating in the street. A drug which causes people to either get violent, stupid, careless, put their lives in danger often killing themselves. But that's alcohol. In these cases you'd go "oh, they're just drunk" not "i'm scared".

Would anyone panic and try to call an ambulance? Would people be scared? No, because it's alcohol. And it's normal. If someone had said they were on a different drug, hell would have broke loose and they'd be in hospital getting treatment when all they really need to do is sleep on it.
Original post by Stefan1991
It's less harmful than alcohol. Look it up.

Class A doesn't mean anything, anyone with a brain knows that. What class a drug is in has nothing to do with how harmful it is. Why would ecstasy and LSD be class A if that was the case? Why would cannabis be Class B for that matter?

If it had anything to do with harm those would be class D drugs if anything. Are you saying Professor Nutt resigned for no reason?

Alcohol shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as LSD, it's like comparing Hitler with Dennis the menace. Alcohol the drug which has caused millions of deaths, millions of liver transplants, millions of broken homes blah blah.

How can you even mention it in the same sentence as LSD? When has taking LSD sensibly harmed anyone?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you can't really compare the groups in terms of numbers affected.
Compare the number of people who drink/have tried alcohol compared to those who have tried/use LSD. Completely different scale. We have no way of knowing what the results would be if LSD was used on the same level as alcohol is.

And I know everyone is full of anecdotes of 'that person who jumped off a building'...but i do know someone who went touring round America, took LSD -once - had a terrible trip she wont ever talk about, now has PTSD and has turned from a staunch athiest into a crazy evangelical christian.
Not saying that's going to happen to everyone, just that it can happen.
Original post by Greenlaner
:facepalm:

There is so much misinformation being circulated in this thread. I knew would it would happen.

Perhaps have a read of this website before spouting off some ignorant bull****.
http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/lsd/faq.htm#14

Threads about drugs on TSR are always full of massive amounts of misinformation, myths and urban legends. It's extremely frustrating and the media just spreads it all further. I think reading these threads has done more damage to my mental health than any drug can.
blax blax ***( blah) blax * 101
Original post by n00
Have you ever had a flashback?

Are they not more just like deja vu, or simply just memories.

So not unlike what you get from any experience.

I have had a mild flashback, and I know a guy who has had one too. They are like a mild re-experience of LSD, rather than "seeing what you did see", its weird, but totally controllable and more like the LSD come up/come down than the actual trip in my opinion.
Reply 107
Most people here who are 'defending' LSD are most probably the ones who have had expeince of the drug, or indeed any other drug i.e. Cannabis/MDMA etc and thus understand the effects of taking drugs more so than the other camp who have no experince, yet are unsure of what they really entail.
Sorry if this is a really stupid question and i'm horribly wrong but.. I thought cannabis had been proved not to have any negative health effects ? So how can it have 'less negative health effects'?
Reply 109
I'd say cannabis is safer actually. No one has ever overdosed on it!
No it was completely non drug related. As are most cases of psychosis. Can't blame drugs for everything now can we?

LSD makes you hallucinate, it doesn't make you believe the hallucinations are real. So the time you saw that guy who thought something was trying to kill him, is *******s. :rolleyes:

Anyway, replace "LSD" with "alcohol" and tell me what's the difference? Except one slowly kills you and the other doesn't.

It was scary **** to you, because you didn't understand it.

I've seen people start fights for no good reason, so drugged up they couldn't walk. Vomiting and urinating in the street. A drug which causes people to either get violent, stupid, careless, put their lives in danger often killing themselves. But that's alcohol. In these cases you'd go "oh, they're just drunk" not "i'm scared".

Would anyone panic and try to call an ambulance? Would people be scared? No, because it's alcohol. And it's normal. If someone had said they were on a different drug, hell would have broke loose and they'd be in hospital getting treatment when all they really need to do is sleep on it.

One of the more sensible posts I've seen in this thread.

Classifications reflect the willingness of society to let people take these substances. That is literally it. The reasons as to why they are classified so highly are legitimate in some cases, and not so legitimate in others.

As far as I'm concerned, people who want to take LSD should be educated as to the risks and allowed to make their own minds up.
*insert that one story about the man who thought he was a mars bar / orange / other thing with wrapper or skin and peeled himself here*
LSD gives you psychotic symptoms. Prolonged use can lead to full-blown psychosis. If you ask me, it's not worth it.
Except it's harmless, and completely safe compared to alcohol. Even cannabis.

Since when did what class a drug is in mean anything?

LSD-
Possession: seven years in jail.
Supplying: life sentence and an unlimited fine.

Cannabis-
Possession: five years in jail.
Supplying: fourteen years and an unlimited fine.

Bit of a difference.
Original post by corpuscallosum
LSD gives you psychotic symptoms. Prolonged use can lead to full-blown psychosis. If you ask me, it's not worth it.

Evidence or GTFO.
Original post by Strathclyder
If you took a couple of tabs of acid you would be on your knees giving me a blowjob :awesome:

And then you woke up with icky stuff on your sheets... :frown:
Reply 116
Original post by You Failed
What an utterly ridiculous and arbitrary thing to base your decision on. Take the prohibition of alcohol for example, one year it was legal, therefore by your logic 'okay to take', the next year it suddenly becomes illegal, now all of a sudden something that you would willingly take, you're suddenly not willing to, just because some guy has drawn an imaginary line and changed the name from 'legal' to 'illegal'. Now a few years later, it suddenly renamed again to 'legal' and you'd drink it again.

Nothing has changed to the alcohol between being named legal and illegal, it's still the same drug, it's an arbitrary classification, it doesn't change anything about the substance so to base your decision on this arbitrary classification that someone, somewhere has decided upon is foolish.

The only extra consideration is the fact that you could serve a sentence. However, this becomes a non-issue when you realise that internal possession does not count as possession and you cannot be sentenced for being on LSD. If you had it in your pocket and were caught with it, that's different but LSD is odorless and colourless, its put on a piece of paper. If you're telling me you can't hide a tiny little piece of paper that no one can smell, then you deserve to be caught with it.

If you read the rest of my post (which was only a few words :facepalm2:) then you'd realise that that's not the main reason. I don't do hallucinogens because I don't like the idea of them. Certain other drugs are okay though, even if they are illegal.
Original post by SolarElephant
Because it does a lot more mental harm

Actually it doesn't do any mental harm. If there are pre-existing conditions, or genetic history of mental conditions, or sometimes even just some understandable over anxiety ("oh my god I'm taking acid, its ilegal and scaaaary!") then LSD can pick up on these things, and produce a bad trip or ongoing mental illness. I'd go as far as to say that for those of sound mind, LSD has absolutely zero consequences on the mind or body after the experience is over, when used in moderation (my own personal guidelines would be once or twice a year is sensible use, once a week is definately not a wise idea).
Original post by Lauren_Summer
Sorry if this is a really stupid question and i'm horribly wrong but.. I thought cannabis had been proved not to have any negative health effects ? So how can it have 'less negative health effects'?

Because you smoke it?

Anyways Cannabis hasnt been PROVEN not to have any negative side effects. It has been proven that it wont cause things like schizophrenia if you werent in the risk group for it anyway...
Original post by mevidek
If you read the rest of my post (which was only a few words :facepalm2:) then you'd realise that that's not the main reason. I don't do hallucinogens because I don't like the idea of them. Certain other drugs are okay though, even if they are illegal.

I did read the rest of your post and I find that a perfectly acceptable answer. The fact that you even included the illegality part though indicated that it was a factor. If it isnt a factor to you, why did you mention it at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending