The Student Room Group

Failed resits and withdrawn

Hi there, i would like any type of advice to solve my dilemma. I failed my first year by two modules and was provided the option to resit and just recently I received news that I have failed my resits and I have been withdrawn from the programme. I thought worst come to worst I just have to redo the year but no. Now I'm lost in what to do as this stupid uni does everything late and most uni have already started their programme. Now I'm stressed and lost on what to do. I would like to also state main reason why I failed was because I didnt have time for uni as my mom got sick during my uni period and I had to step up and take care of her and my siblings.and the other reason is I'm stupid and lazy.
First off, the timing of your results isn't unreasonable as most resit exam boards take place in early to mid September.

It sounds like you should put in an appeal but you will have to be able to provide strong evidence for what you have described. This might include documents relating to your mum's illness (with your mum's permission, of course), such as appointment letters and/or a letter from the family GP explaining the situation.
If the appeal is upheld, you will probably be given another chance to take those modules. The academic regulations (which you should consult) will dictate under what conditions, such as repeating them on their own.
I would also suggest that you consult the university regulations on the the appeal process, as well as seeking advice from your SU about how to prepare it.
Original post by Brezzy33
Hi there, i would like any type of advice to solve my dilemma. I failed my first year by two modules and was provided the option to resit and just recently I received news that I have failed my resits and I have been withdrawn from the programme. I thought worst come to worst I just have to redo the year but no. Now I'm lost in what to do as this stupid uni does everything late and most uni have already started their programme.

As @cheadle says, you need to contact your student union urgently to get advice on how to appeal based on your circumstances. Bear in mind that there's probably quite a tight deadline on submitting an appeal.
Original post by Brezzy33
Hi there, i would like any type of advice to solve my dilemma. I failed my first year by two modules and was provided the option to resit and just recently I received news that I have failed my resits and I have been withdrawn from the programme. I thought worst come to worst I just have to redo the year but no. Now I'm lost in what to do as this stupid uni does everything late and most uni have already started their programme. Now I'm stressed and lost on what to do. I would like to also state main reason why I failed was because I didnt have time for uni as my mom got sick during my uni period and I had to step up and take care of her and my siblings.and the other reason is I'm stupid and lazy.

Probably best not to use the reason 'because I'm stupid and lazy'. :smile:

Did you tell your university tutor/programme leader about the personal issues at the time they occurred, and certainly before the (failed) assessments?
Hello, I am a first year student and I failed one of my exams (this module is a pre requisite for year 2) by 2%. I was asked to resit my exam and unfortunately I failed my resit exam by 8%. The university (durham) has emailed me asking me to withdraw.
I failed my resit as I had to do my test in a lot of pain and so couldnt focus. Later that day diagnosed with a kidney stone and was admitted to the hospital.
I have made an appeal and provided all evidence for the same. I did not come forward with this earlier as I thought I did well enough to make it to 40%. What do you think the outcome might be? Is my appeal strong enough to give me another chance.
My total average for all my modules (including the 32% failed resit) is 56%.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am a first year student and I failed one of my exams (this module is a pre requisite for year 2) by 2%. I was asked to resit my exam and unfortunately I failed my resit exam by 8%. The university (durham) has emailed me asking me to withdraw.
I failed my resit as I had to do my test in a lot of pain and so couldnt focus. Later that day diagnosed with a kidney stone and was admitted to the hospital.
I have made an appeal and provided all evidence for the same. I did not come forward with this earlier as I thought I did well enough to make it to 40%. What do you think the outcome might be? Is my appeal strong enough to give me another chance.
My total average for all my modules (including the 32% failed resit) is 56%.

I have looked at the Durham regs, in particular "that you were adversely affected by illness or other relevant factors, of which you were previously unaware or which for a good cause you were unable to disclose to the Examiners or other decision-making body or Officer".

So based on what you've said, your grounds for appeal sound strong enough.
Reply 6
Do you think they might ask me to retake the module in year 2 or ask me to retake the whole year? Or simply progress me to the next year?
Original post by anov123
Do you think they might ask me to retake the module in year 2 or ask me to retake the whole year? Or simply progress me to the next year?

You've got to check the academic regulations for the answer to that as this scenario varies from university to university.
You wouldn't be asked to retake the whole year btw, you would just come back and retake that module.

[If you are the same person who posted the Durham question, you could ask this question in the Durham uni section...]
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, If I may ask, what uni are you in and how did everything turn out in the end? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending