The Student Room Group

I hate art GCSE

Unless you need art in the future or you really REALLY love it and are prepared to devote a lot of time to it, DO NOT DO ART GCSE. It stresses me out and my teacher is one of the worst people I have ever met which is why I have had such a bad experience.
Ask questions/ talk/ rant about gcse art below
Original post by wearezero
Unless you need art in the future or you really REALLY love it and are prepared to devote a lot of time to it, DO NOT DO ART GCSE. It stresses me out and my teacher is one of the worst people I have ever met which is why I have had such a bad experience.

Sorry to hear this, I guess it's not possible to switch?

This is why I steered clear of it, apart from not being good at art... it is both difficult and time consuming..

What kind of work did you have to do and why is it time consuming?
Reply 2
i agreee my teacher is a pain in the arse
Reply 3

Please. Please. Please listen to people on the internet. I picked art gcse because since I had loads of extra curricular art classes I thought it would be a shame if I didn’t take it. DO NOT BASE CHOICES OFF OF STUFF LIKE THIS. That was the first mistake I made. In year 10 my teacher let me do my own thing, I picked my own artists and did my own work. I enjoyed art.

Then in year 11… I can even form proper sentences. Ok so. At the start I was all excited and picked a new theme. I started off ambitious and determined. Then… my teacher suggested this artist I should look at and I thought nothing of it although the artist was not related to my work. So I did an artist analysis of it. I thought after that one artists I’d forget about it and move on. But no. My teacher told me to make my own interpretation of their artwork. So I did, thinking that I surely will be able to forget about this artist after this. Again, NO. My teacher gave me another artist similar to this and so on…

Btw the artists interpretations were so stupid. I don’t even want to describe it. Maybe I’ll put it this way: imagine a 5 year old doing diy.

Yes, I know I should’ve told my teacher about not liking these artists but I couldn’t because of other reasons. So now NONE of the work I’m doing right now is related to my original theme. I have NEVER EVER HATED A SUBJECT SO MUCH IN MY LIFE.

Yes, you may think my teacher is considered good. And they are. But not with what I’m doing right now.

There’s still so much I can say. It might not sound bad, but it is. And it may sound like I’m complaining about nothing. But I would be here for days if I wanted to say everything.

In summary, DO NOT TAKE ART GCSE UNLESS YOURE DEVOTED TO IT AND ARE WILLING TO SELL YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL FOR IT. PLEASE. You may never hear from me again. I might be in seclusion for the rest of my life to recover from this. And yes I am going mad. Thank you
Reply 4
I'm working towards a 9 rn. but currently STRESSING because my theme is cultural identity and I live in a pretty white dominated area ever. What am I meant to take a picture of as a reference???
Reply 5

Art GCSE can be a bit difficult, yes. First chose a theme that is not overly specific and kind of vague, but not too vague. Do a mind map about it and brainstorm all possible things you could do. Then, you have to do is to do artist research by answering a lot of techniques, works, how does it relate, colour use, materials used etc. Do not focus on their biography unless the art is a bit inspired by it, but mostly talk about the above. Good at English describing? Chuck some complicated vocabulary to leave those examiners speechless. Then take some photos relating to your theme, talk about it and at least do 5 recreations of it using different materials (don't worry, tweak it every now and then; just leave a tiny resemblance to the original photo.). Do this for every artist you do. When you are writing out the artist research, be creative. Make the background relate to the theme or Idk, like add some flaps. I usually recreate a portrait of my Artist next to the research under the title using stencils. This all applies to coursework and you do need to be naturally good at art; you will develop a skill towards it. For your final piece, do the same method with like photos, but put more effort into it. Just knowing this at the very start of doing art gcse can really help save you trouble and time much later on. I would say at least have 5 artist researches or more as quality matters more than quantity. And if you have any useless, not related to your theme artwork, don't chuck it way, keep it. It could be the difference between an A or a B, or C or a D. I am good at doing art like drawing, but doing research, babbling about colour and stuff ain't my thing and I hate it. Love art, hate Art GCSE. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest