The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

General Module Questions (Study Abroad Student)

Hi,

I'm an American and I honestly have no idea what the hell I am doing with module enrollment.

SO

1. Is it smart to enroll in modules back to back? Basically, do they give you enough time to get from your module that ends at 1 to the one that starts at 1?

2. Do I get to pick whatever alternative time I want to go to, or is assigned? And can I go to a certain time for a module one week and a different time the next?

3. Realistically, how much time outside of the lecture will I spend studying for a 10 credit module?

I'm sorry if my wording is off, I'm constantly typing class/classes and having to change it to module. (I don't think I've ever used/heard that word until a month or two ago o_o; )

& thanks everybody, I really appreciate any help/advice/etc. :smile:
Reply 1
Can't help you with your first two questions (I need to know the answer to those myself), but for your third question, it says on my course (Biology) module list that you do around 100 hours of study for each 10 credit module. So if you have 25 hours of contact time (lectures, seminars, tutorials, etc), then for those 10 credits you'd do around 75 hours of private study/preparing for exams/etc. I assume that's a standard for all courses.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Lectures end 5 minutes before the hour and start 5 minutes after the hour. So if you have two consecutive lectures, you will have 10 minutes to get from one to the other, assuming the lecture doesn't overrun.
What exactly do you mean alternative time? If a module has two times for lectures, you can choose which you go to. If it's for a seminar you will either choose or be given a seminar time and you'll have to go to the same one each week.

Everything should run from five past to five to the hour, but if your lectures or classes are on opposite sides of campus, back to backs can be a challenge!

Quick Reply

Latest