The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJHERBZ
Scored 667.5 in my UKCAT :redface: you guys think that'll be over the cut-off?

Last year's cut-off was 652.5
I'd say you'd probably be pretty borderline, but you should just make it.
Reply 41
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
Last year's cut-off was 652.5
I'd say you'd probably be pretty borderline, but you should just make it.

What about the previous year? I'd like to apply there, does sound pretty close though :/
Can anyone here clarify, I was told by a med student at Manchester that they're stopping PBL? I didn't get a chance to talk to them any further they just told me that.
Original post by MJHERBZ
What about the previous year? I'd like to apply there, does sound pretty close though :/

I have no idea about the previous year. I've had a quick look through the med applicants 2010 thread but can't really find anything.

Good luck if you decide to apply though! Your PS and everything is done?
Reply 44
Aahhhh right. Well it's a bit of a gamble but a 652.5 is not particularly high, at least they aren't UKCAT fanatics like Sheffield and Newcastle. I'd like to apply here, strongly considering it!

Yes, my PS is 95% finished. Maybe a few slight alterations needed for the conclusion but still hopefully a lot better than my previous one! Continuing to volunteer etc but I've given up on finding more work exp :tongue: No one wants me! Yourself? Good luck to you too!
Reply 45
Hey guys, I want to apply to Manchester but I think I'd just fluff up the part of the interview where you sit around a table with other applicants. So could anyone shed some light on what that part of the interview is like?
Reply 46
hey, thinking of applying here. 675 in ukcat and predicted AAA. is there a chance?
Just sent off my ucas and I'm applying here :biggrin:
Hey guyys, really need some help at the moment. Just done my ukcat and got an average of 650.

470---verbal reasoning
630----abstract reasoning
700----quantitative reasoning
800 ----decision analysis

I wanted to apply to Manchester but i don't know whether my ukcat is high enough.
Do you think they would consider me. I'm still doing research but some help would be really appreciated.

GCSE's --- 6A* 2A's 3Bs
AS Level -- AAAB
A level prediction -- A*A*A*A
Original post by MyJunkIsYou
Can anyone here clarify, I was told by a med student at Manchester that they're stopping PBL? I didn't get a chance to talk to them any further they just told me that.

Definitely not true.

They're so diehard PBL here, and it would be a logistical nightmare to switch it all now. Plus, PBL has been proven to work (and even though I'm very new to it, I can see how it would make good Doctors, particularly in the realms of diagnostics etc).
Original post by TwilightKnight
Definitely not true.

They're so diehard PBL here, and it would be a logistical nightmare to switch it all now. Plus, PBL has been proven to work (and even though I'm very new to it, I can see how it would make good Doctors, particularly in the realms of diagnostics etc).

Thanks, I was very confused after they told me that, not quite sure why they did but oh well!
Reply 51
Original post by areyousure?
Thread for anyone applying to Manchester !

About the Course and Entry Requirements

I didn't see one, so it's about time to have one :smile:

Good luck guys!

Hey, could you make a UKCAT score poll to this thread? I think it'd be quite helpful to see where everyone's at. :smile:
Reply 52
Hi guys was wondering if you could help me out.
I like Manchester but i have a UKCAT score of 632.5.
I was wondering if Manchester have an absolute cut off point.
I have 7A*'S at GCSE and was wondering if they placed any emphasis on GCSE ?
Greatly appreciate any help you guys could give.
Thanks!
Original post by Hercules1
Thanks!

Hi. Your application seems pretty decent apart from the UKCAT. They had a cut off score for 2011 entry as 652.5 but if you get a contextual data flag, they usually have a lower cut off which was 615 for 2011 entry.
You can visit the website to get more information on contextual data. :biggrin:
Original post by Hercules1
Thanks!

I wouldn't. Manchester seem to be UKCAT hungry, and I don't think your score would cut it. HYMS may be a better option?
Hey guys, I got 692.5, would that give me a decent chance of giving me an interview?
Reply 56
Hi guys just a few questions regarding admissions process:
Is stage 2 just checking that your ps is reasonable and not stupidly bad, because it doesnt sound like they assess it, just check it??
Do academics come into it, or is it only meet the minimum and then theyre no longer looked at?
If i was right interpreting stage 2 does that mean that your personal statement is never assessed and only used for interview??
Reply 57
I just phoned them just now, and they said that you only have to meet the academic requirements (i.e. it's not like edinburgh who say you need 7 As, but then only choose people who have 12A*s) at GCSE and A level (so that means they don't care about A*s at A level). They expect to see a strong PS and then they rank everyone by their UKCAT score, then choose people that way.
Reply 58
Could anyone tell me how many applicants manchester interview?
UKCAT - 677.5 avg (710, 660, 670, 670)
GCSE - 8A* 2A 1B
AS - AABB (Dropped physics at b, 3 UMS from an A in chemistry :frown:)
A2 Predicted - A*A*A

Work experience - Children with special needs unit, paired reading scheme, worked in opticians for 3 years doing diagnostic tests, initial patient contact and working through NHS referrals, starting at hospice in a week (took them so long to get back to me!)

I know I need to aim at getting some more voluntary over the next 2 1/2 weeks but how are the grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending