The Student Room Group

gcses medicine

Hi ,
I am looking into doing medicine and am retaking a few gcses in order to meet entry requirements/better grades. I am wondering if this will make my application look bad/reduce my chances of getting in- particularly for Manchester? Otherwise i am on track for top a-level grades and a high UCAT score.
Would appreciate any help😭
Reply 1
Manchester do not place a heavy emphasis on GCSE results as long as you meet their requirements. what are your GCSE results?
Original post by chibace23
Hi ,
I am looking into doing medicine and am retaking a few gcses in order to meet entry requirements/better grades. I am wondering if this will make my application look bad/reduce my chances of getting in- particularly for Manchester? Otherwise i am on track for top a-level grades and a high UCAT score.
Would appreciate any help😭

as long as you’ve passed english and maths i can imagine you’ll be fine, whether you have to resit them or not you’ll still have the desired qualification
Reply 3
Original post by halfharry
Manchester do not place a heavy emphasis on GCSE results as long as you meet their requirements. what are your GCSE results?

They are :
combined sci- 9/9
maths- 8
eng lit - 7
history- 7
french - 7
eng lang- 6
textiles- 4
classics- 4
I am going to retake classics as for manchester i need 7 As/A*(7-9s) s in GCSEs and i only have 6
Reply 4
Original post by miamcniven

as long as you’ve passed english and maths i can imagine you’ll be fine, whether you have to resit them or not you’ll still have the desired qualification

thank you for the advice :smile:
I know some gcse heavy unis (Birmingham) factor in retakes but to be honest the majority of universities don’t really care about your grades given they are at or above the requirements.

What matters more generally is:

UCAT score
Personal statement (mileage varies, I know Birmingham doesn’t even consider the personal statement at all)
Your interview!
Reply 6
They are :
combined sci- 9/9
maths- 8
eng lit - 7
history- 7
french - 7
eng lang- 6
textiles- 4
classics- 4
I am going to retake classics as for manchester i need 7 As/A*(7-9s) s in GCSEs and i only have 6

that is correct, however I must advise you focusing on having a really good UCAT is important. There are some unis that do not care about ur GCSE's. You must also remember that medicine is very competitive, and the same course is taught everywhere, just different teaching styles, is there a particular reason you want to go to Manchester?
Reply 7
Original post by halfharry
They are :
combined sci- 9/9
maths- 8
eng lit - 7
history- 7
french - 7
eng lang- 6
textiles- 4
classics- 4

that is correct, however I must advise you focusing on having a really good UCAT is important. There are some unis that do not care about ur GCSE's. You must also remember that medicine is very competitive, and the same course is taught everywhere, just different teaching styles, is there a particular reason you want to go to Manchester?

I am interested in Manchester because i like the uni, the location etc. It just fits in best with the type of uni i want tbh🤷*♀️ the UCAT prep is going well so far , so do you reckon my gcses would be decent for Manchester ? I understand GCSEs aren’t a massive thing as you said, i just want to ensure i won’t look like a weaker applicant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending