The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else still on hold, or are they just doing this to me?
Reply 1381
So what's the thing with accommodation? I'm thinking of wanting to go for somewhere in Victoria Park because it's relatively quiet according to people I've spoken to/people on TSR, but you could probably still get a social scene if you wanted it? I'm kinda confused between Victoria and Fallowfield... City's definitely getting cut. I don't want to go to City. But ugh. Where do most medics go?
Reply 1382
I've just firmed Manchester Med School and I was wondering if someone could tell me what happens now? Do Manchester send me some sort of application pack for accommodation, etc.? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

I'm a gap year applicant so I've already got my grades; I just need to get my health questionnaire completed and sent in.
just firmed manchester!

any graduate/"mature" students be sure to join the facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/190569604388089/
Do we have to get hep B injections for manchester, cos I've not heard anything about it :/
Reply 1385
Original post by saxophoniste
Do we have to get hep B injections for manchester, cos I've not heard anything about it :/

Yeah, what jabs do we need? I've already had all of them from a previous trip, just need a booster jab for Hep B, unless there is some really obscure one...
Reply 1386
Original post by Mero8
Yeah, what jabs do we need? I've already had all of them from a previous trip, just need a booster jab for Hep B, unless there is some really obscure one...

I asked a friend this who is in his first year and he said you don't have to have any before, they offer you them when you get there (for Hep B anyway)
:smile:
Original post by saxophoniste

They'll sort everything out for you when you get there.
Does anybody know how I should go about asking the university for feedback about my rejection? Should I email or ring them? Also, where do I find the appropriate contact details? :smile:
Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by stringbean
Does anybody know how I should go about asking the university for feedback about my rejection? Should I email or ring them? Also, where do I find the appropriate contact details? :smile:

I emailed them on [email protected]
I got a fairly generic response, which they probably give out to anyone who asks. There was nothing specific to me in the email, so I don't really know where I went wrong and what they were looking for. The email I got was:

Dear XXX

Thank you for coming to Manchester Medical School for the interview. We have now analysed the results but I am afraid that your score was not sufficiently high to allow us to offer you a place. I know that you will be very disappointed; I hope the following brief explanation will help you to put this result into perspective and not be too downhearted.

The competition for medical school places is intense and we are in the difficult position of having to write thus to many very able students. Medical admission processes are under increasing scrutiny at a national level and rightly so. At Manchester we strive to be equitable and transparent in our assessment of applicants and so I thought that you might be reassured to read an outline of our system.

Initial screening ensures that UCAS application forms meet our published academic and non academic criteria. Senior staff in the Admissions Unit then examine forms in detail, judging them against pre set criteria. Approximately eight hundred students are then invited to interview recently this has been about 40% of all applicants, but this percentage varies from year to year. You, of course, passed these hurdles and so should be congratulated on this achievement. I hope that you will be successful in your applications elsewhere.

The interview panel assesses each candidate’s performance in the round table discussion and in the “mini interviews”. We use pre-set criteria to measure the attributes which we consider important in an aspiring doctor. These include motivation, critical reasoning, insight, summarising skills and team working skills. The interviewers are all involved in the undergraduate programme in Manchester and know what makes a successful Manchester Medical student.

The decision to offer a place is not made by the interviewers on the day but by subsequent analysis of your score and comparison with a larger cohort of interviewees’ scores. I am afraid that I am unable to go into any further detail on the specifics of your performance. You will appreciate that this is a complex business, but it is one which we take very seriously and strive constantly to make as fair as possible.

I am sorry that this letter does not bring good news but, on behalf of the University of Manchester, may I thank you for considering us and wish you all success in your future career.

Yours sincerely

Dr Ray McMahon

Director of Admissions

Manchester Medical School
Original post by stringbean

Email. [email protected]

They used to send out the breakdown of your interview score as feedback. It probably takes a little time so they may only send it to those who specifically ask.
(edited 12 years ago)
Firmy wormiiieeed :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by CraigKirk
Firmy wormiiieeed :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Awesome you must be so excited!!
Original post by In the looney bin
Awesome you must be so excited!!

HAAAA 'In the looney bin' what a loser :wink:

Nah, dead excited! :biggrin:
One of the conditions of the offer is is an enhanced CRB check, how do we get that done? Thank you :smile:
firmed
Reply 1396
firmed A104 a few weeks ago and wandering if I should get any kind of acknowledgement from Manchester or just UCAS?
Reply 1397
http://www.facebook.com/groups/356965707654522/

Remember to join the Facebook group guys!! :smile:
Original post by Pragrat
firmed A104 a few weeks ago and wandering if I should get any kind of acknowledgement from Manchester or just UCAS?

I think you should get a letter from UCAS stating your choice of decision. I don't think Manchester will acknowledge you.
Ill ask again, anyone know how to get this enhanced CRB check done? Help would be appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending