The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1234girl
Okay, would I be in a good position with a 775 average? And obviously cant tell you anything concrete about the personal statement or reference bit, how is there a cut off for that??:confused:

Considering that's well within the top 1% of scores, yes. You could lose over 100 points from that and still exceed the cut off.

There isn't really a cut off for the personal statement as far as I know, it's more a check that it's up to scratch and meets the criteria they're looking for.
Original post by 1234girl
Okay, would I be in a good position with a 775 average? And obviously cant tell you anything concrete about the personal statement or reference bit, how is there a cut off for that??:confused:

775 if fine.

The personal statement and reference are scored against a set of criteria and given a score out of 80. Your academics (GCSEs and A levels) are given a score out of 20. The total is out of 100 and you have to score above a certain mark (usually high 70s) to move onto the UKCAT ranking stage.

Every medical school that uses the personal statement in their selection methods will have a system (a set of criteria) for scoring it - admissions tutors don't just read each personal statement and decide whether they like it or not, that would be too subjective. This is why you don't have to write a statement that 'stands out' or has a snazzy openeing, it just needs to tick the relevent boxes.
Hey.. what is the first year timetable like?.. would someone post one or pm me... appreciate it... .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by count6769
Hey.. what is the first year timetable like?.. would someone post one or pm me... appreciate it... .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I highly doubt anyone's going to post their entire first year, but here are the first three weeks: http://puu.sh/146a9

EDIT: Oh, but I imagine more sessions are going to be added to that, such as tutorials, once we are allocated tutors.
Looking forward to meeting all of you Freshers next week - 12 of you lucky lot will be in my mentoring group :biggrin:

If anyone has any questions, send me a message on here :smile:
Original post by theatrical
775 if fine.

The personal statement and reference are scored against a set of criteria and given a score out of 80. Your academics (GCSEs and A levels) are given a score out of 20. The total is out of 100 and you have to score above a certain mark (usually high 70s) to move onto the UKCAT ranking stage.

Every medical school that uses the personal statement in their selection methods will have a system (a set of criteria) for scoring it - admissions tutors don't just read each personal statement and decide whether they like it or not, that would be too subjective. This is why you don't have to write a statement that 'stands out' or has a snazzy openeing, it just needs to tick the relevent boxes.

Hi, these are very useful information, does this mean manchester put much more weight on PS and Ref rather than GCSE and As? Besides, which are the relevant boxes they will be interested to tick? Thanks
Reply 1606
OMG I can't wait for Monday!! I might die from excitement before I even reach Stopford!!!
Reply 1607
Does anyone know how the scoring system works?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1608
Is there a thread for 2013 applicants? I can't seem to find any!

Reply 1609
Original post by chromni
Is there a thread for 2013 applicants? I can't seem to find any!

Hi this is the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2066716

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1611
does anyone know how they rank candidates to choose who comes for interview?
Original post by Nas *
does anyone know how they rank candidates to choose who comes for interview?

Scroll down to Manchester here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by count6769

Posted from TSR Mobile

Monday I have PBL at 9, and sometimes something in the afternoon. Teusday is lectures 2-5, Wednesday lecture 9-12, Thursday usually communications or Evidence Based Medicine in the afternoon for 2 hours, and Friday PBL at 9, lectur at 12 - 1, and anatomy 1.15 - 3. :smile:
last year people started getting offers when they have been hold around about the 5th and january results on the 7th. This is gonna be a tense week for me.... :/
Reply 1615
Hey is it true that you can't retake A2 modules for Manchester! (As in resitting my jan modules in June) I thought you were allowed but someone on tsr says you can't :s ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chiny94
Hey is it true that you can't retake A2 modules for Manchester! (As in resitting my jan modules in June) I thought you were allowed but someone on tsr says you can't :s ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm reasonably sure you're allowed to do that at any university; they wouldn't know about how you did in your January modules, and if you already have an offer then all you need to do is satisfy that. They can't reject you if you satisfy every condition of your offer, no matter how many resits.
Reply 1617
Original post by CraigKirk
I'm reasonably sure you're allowed to do that at any university; they wouldn't know about how you did in your January modules, and if you already have an offer then all you need to do is satisfy that. They can't reject you if you satisfy every condition of your offer, no matter how many resits.

That's what i always thought too! Anyway thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by areebmazhar
What is the overall contextual flag, if you don't mind me asking?
I am from a poor area, very poor school and low family income, does this have anything to do with that flag?
Thanks a lot:smile:

i come from similar backgrounds, if anything the prefer it. they offer a lot of financial support for people from poor backgrounds. if you do well enough in you're a levels (3 A's i think) they give you 2000 off your tuition and 1000 in cash bursary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending