The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJband
ARE only grammar schools allowed to take astronomy because i want to and i am in a local school!?

Not at all - it's IMO a fantastic course, but a lot of schools don't have enough money and I guess see it as a luxury they can manage without.

you could try persuading your school to run it... but if not you could google for any groups running it on a subsidised basis near you as evening classes e.g. http://thinkphysics.org/activity/gcse-astronomy/ (not sure if they're running it next year tbh)
Reply 141
Woo! How did you guys do?
Original post by DJband
ARE only grammar schools allowed to take astronomy because i want to and i am in a local school!?
I took mine with an external company, as my school (state school/UTC) didn't offer it. I used Planet Earth Education, and it was great!
Original post by Airslap
Woo! How did you guys do?
I got an A! I wanted an A*, but my coursework let me down! You?
Original post by Beckylou2007
Yeah I was getting bs and as on the past papers!
How did it go for you?
http://astronomygcse.cf has lots of helpful tips for coursework along with past papers, revision and other stuff
Hi there, Sorry I know I am picking up a really old thread, however I want to know how you have gone about finding your astronomy exam centre? I can't seem to find any? Thank you,
Original post by LouisaLaheen
Hi there, Sorry I know I am picking up a really old thread, however I want to know how you have gone about finding your astronomy exam centre? I can't seem to find any? Thank you,

Hey,
I was actually lucky enough that my school ran astronomy as an after school extra, so I didn't have to deal with this. But my best advice to you would be first of all ask your school - they might be able to be your centre, even if you're the only one taking that particular exam. Also, if they won't or can't help you, check with other schools in the nearby area.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
i was wandering if anyone did the B1 aided lunar features or if anyone has any ideas that i could write about in my planning
xx
Original post by mattha291
i was wandering if anyone did the B1 aided lunar features or if anyone has any ideas that i could write about in my planning
xx

Hey. I definitely did the lunar features, but can't remember if it was aided or not!! I took photos, but observed with naked eye so...? But in terms of planning, I just write about the three features I was going to track - for me, I think that was the Sea of Tranquility, Tycho's Crater and Copernicus's crater. Not 100% on any of that, but, if you're interested, I can try to find my old coursework on my laptop. Just send me a PM.
Reply 150
Can you let me know where you managed to do controlled assessment? I think you need an authorized center for this. I am not able to find one in Essex. Any help is much appreciated.
hello, i am taking the astronomy GCSE and i was wondering what you would write about for the unaided course work (i am doing it about the moon).
Original post by anna.gts
hello, i am taking the astronomy GCSE and i was wondering what you would write about for the unaided course work (i am doing it about the moon).

Are you doing lunar features? If you are, then you need to track whether those features (I think you have to choose 3) are visible at different stages of the lunar cycle. Then you write about your method of observation, where you did it, etc and that's about it. Not really much to it.
Original post by Em282
Can you let me know where you managed to do controlled assessment? I think you need an authorized center for this. I am not able to find one in Essex. Any help is much appreciated.

I did the GCSE through my school, so all our coursework was done as normal in other subjects. I'd suggest finding your nearest exam centre (probably an adult learning centre) or asking your school if they can authorise it. If not, they should still be able to point you in the right direction to find a place to do it. Hope you work it out!

Latest

Trending

Trending