The Student Room Group

Axial Obliquity in relation to The Equation of Time

Good afternoon,

I'm struggling on the concept of axial obliquity and how it creates differences between two solar noons even when Earth's rotation takes 23 hours, 56 minutes (a sidereal day).

If anyone could explain, or point out any videos that clearly explain this topic, it would be much appreciated!

This revision is for the GCSE Astronomy course, section 4: Time and the Earth-Moon-Sun Cycles. Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
Original post by Imaan07
Good afternoon,

I'm struggling on the concept of axial obliquity and how it creates differences between two solar noons even when Earth's rotation takes 23 hours, 56 minutes (a sidereal day).

If anyone could explain, or point out any videos that clearly explain this topic, it would be much appreciated!

This revision is for the GCSE Astronomy course, section 4: Time and the Earth-Moon-Sun Cycles. Thanks a lot.

Hi, I don't know if you're still wondering about this, but I hope I can help! I'm studying astronomy GCSE in one year alongside my 3 A-level subjects as a year 12 student, and will be sitting the naked-eye exam next week. (:

A solar day is defined as the time it takes for the Sun to reach the same point in the sky as an observer on Earth. This is useful for keeping time, however it is not the correct rotational period of the Earth, which is four minutes shorter. The difference exists because the Earth is moving in its orbit around the Sun as well as rotating on its own axis, not because of the obliquity of the ecliptic, i.e: because the Earth is orbiting the Sun, it needs to rotate a little bit more than a full rotation for the Sun to reach the same point in the sky.

I hope you're able to understand this a bit better, and best of luck with your GCSE astronomy!
Reply 2
Sorry, I think I'm two months late! I really hope your exams went well - results day for me is tomorrow, is that the same for you?

Thank you for your answer, even though I've already sat the exam, this helped cleared up a lot for me, and it's another fact to submit to my (admittedly larger after a year of Astronomy) database of cool, nerdy Astro stuff.

Hope your tests went well, and good luck with your results!
Reply 3
Original post by Imaan07
Sorry, I think I'm two months late! I really hope your exams went well - results day for me is tomorrow, is that the same for you?

Thank you for your answer, even though I've already sat the exam, this helped cleared up a lot for me, and it's another fact to submit to my (admittedly larger after a year of Astronomy) database of cool, nerdy Astro stuff.

Hope your tests went well, and good luck with your results!

I get my result tomorrow too, let's hope we did well! (:
Reply 4
Ah, I got a 7! I'm really pleased, especially considering I managed to achieve that with only 6 months of preperation! I had over 4 nightmares while waiting though 😅. How did your results go?
Reply 5
Original post by Imaan07
Ah, I got a 7! I'm really pleased, especially considering I managed to achieve that with only 6 months of preperation! I had over 4 nightmares while waiting though 😅. How did your results go?

I got a 7 too 💪💪💪 Congratulations!
Reply 6
👏👏👏

Quick Reply

Latest