The Student Room Group

Welsh Society

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for showing interest in the TSR House of Commons Plaid Cymru party! We've got off on a great start!
Does anyone listen to Radio Cymru? Was just wondering because I'm on it on April 6th and April 8th (I recorded a bit about a campaign I've been running recently) so if anyone's listening... I'll try and find the exact time it's going to be at :redface:
Original post by Gales
S4C has lots of resources for Welsh, as does the BBC. I've been using a website called Memrise recently to improve my Welsh (as well as Russian), I find it helps a lot. :smile:

The Student Union at the university I'm going to, Aberystwyth, offer free lessons in Welsh, so I might even give them a try. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 183
^I live in Aberystwyth. I think you're making an excellent choice of uni. :h:
As for S4C, does anyone watch Gwaith/Cartref?(Can't remember if I already asked this..) I genuinely prefer it to most English programs and it's the highlight of my Sunday nights.:tongue:

Original post by madders94
Does anyone listen to Radio Cymru? Was just wondering because I'm on it on April 6th and April 8th (I recorded a bit about a campaign I've been running recently) so if anyone's listening... I'll try and find the exact time it's going to be at :redface:

I listen to it occasionally. If I remember I'll certainly tune in to hear about your campaign.:biggrin:
Reply 184
Original post by Dusty12
As for S4C, does anyone watch Gwaith/Cartref?(Can't remember if I already asked this..) I genuinely prefer it to most English programs and it's the highlight of my Sunday nights.:tongue:

You spoke to me about it before! :tongue:
You started your student finance yet?
Reply 185
Original post by Gales
You spoke to me about it before! :tongue:
You started your student finance yet?

I had a feeling I'd adoringly ranted on about it to someone.:tongue:

No, I haven't. I was vaguely waiting for my school to do a presentation or something about it, but now you mention it, maybe I should get started. It seems complicated. D:
Have you started it?:smile:

In other news, Bristol let me do ab initio German(:biggrin:) but Durham haven't replied to my application yet.(:mad:)
I see you've made your Firm and Insurance choices. Looks awesome. 8)
Reply 186
Original post by Dusty12
I had a feeling I'd adoringly ranted on about it to someone.:tongue:

No, I haven't. I was vaguely waiting for my school to do a presentation or something about it, but now you mention it, maybe I should get started. It seems complicated. D:
Have you started it?:smile:

In other news, Bristol let me do ab initio German(:biggrin:) but Durham haven't replied to my application yet.(:mad:)
I see you've made your Firm and Insurance choices. Looks awesome. 8)

Woo, you going to firm Bristol?
I started it earlier, it was a little confusing, but I'm getting through it. Had to phone UCL to ask whether Modern languages was a 'full time undergraduate' or 'full time with sandwich year', even more embarrassing was the fact that no one was there and I had to leave a voicemail.

I haven't officially done it yet! I'm 100% sure they're my choices, going to firm it on UCAS soon though. :colondollar:
Original post by Gales
I started it earlier, it was a little confusing, but I'm getting through it. Had to phone UCL to ask whether Modern languages was a 'full time undergraduate' or 'full time with sandwich year', even more embarrassing was the fact that no one was there and I had to leave a voicemail.

I haven't officially done it yet! I'm 100% sure they're my choices, going to firm it on UCAS soon though. :colondollar:

Out of curiosity, what will your insurance choice be Gales? :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Aek-94
Out of curiosity, what will your insurance choice be Gales? :smile:

Edinburgh, you? :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by Gales

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will. :biggrin:
It depends slightly on Durham. I haven't visited, so if they give me an offer, I'd definitely want to research it further in case I prefer it to Bristol. I don't think i will though cos Bristol really suits me.

I hate phoning universities(or indeed phoning anyone); I always say stupid things. :redface:

Well they seem like pretty cool choices anyway.:cool:
Original post by Gales
Edinburgh, you? :smile:

I don't have one anymore. I got an unconditional offer from Aber today due to how my scholarship exams went. :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Dusty12
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will. :biggrin:
It depends slightly on Durham. I haven't visited, so if they give me an offer, I'd definitely want to research it further in case I prefer it to Bristol. I don't think i will though cos Bristol really suits me.

I hate phoning universities(or indeed phoning anyone); I always say stupid things. :redface:

Well they seem like pretty cool choices anyway.:cool:

Well, Bristol would be perfect you could mynd adref aml (not sure if my Wenglish makes sense!).
Original post by Aek-94
I don't have one anymore. I got an unconditional offer from Aber today due to how my scholarship exams went. :smile:

Congrats/Llongyfarchiadau! One of my friends sat a scholarship exam, but due to the lack of news I'm assuming he didn't get it. :/
Original post by Aek-94

Llongyfarchiadau :smile: I look forwards to Bangor vs Aber banter with you :wink: hehe.

I haven't started my student finance application yet. The joy of being a young carer means I need to wait until the new benefits are processed in April before I can sort my finance out.
Original post by Aek-94

Llongyfarchiadau! I failed mine, so you did better than me. Got a nice cushy Cardiff scholarship instead though. :tongue:
Original post by madders94
Llongyfarchiadau :smile: I look forwards to Bangor vs Aber banter with you :wink: hehe.

Haha yes! :wink: I've been looking at the Aber v Bangor memes pages and the rivalry is fierce, haha. :tongue:

Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
Llongyfarchiadau! I failed mine, so you did better than me. Got a nice cushy Cardiff scholarship instead though. :tongue:

Cardiff is a great uni, congrats! :^_^:
I wish I'd applied to Bangor right at the start, would've loved to try for a scholarship there. Oh well :frown:
Anyone here going to Kent, perchance? I'm going into my third year there.
Reply 197
Woo just joined can't believe I only found out about this society today.
Byw yng nghaerdydd
Dysgu trwyr cymraeg
What do you all think of this? :tongue:

First The Hills... now The Valleys: MTV head to Wales for their new non-scripted reality show

Shows such as The Hills, The City and Jersey Shore proved such a success in America that they prompted the creation of shows such as Geordie Shore and Desperate Scousewives. And now MTV UK have announced that for their next non-scripted reality show, they will be heading to Wales. The channel will begin production on new series The Valleys at the end of April.

Following in the success of Geordie Shore, which saw a group of young people enjoying the nightlife in Newcastle, the new series will be focusing on people from areas in the South Wales Valleys such as Tonyrefail and Tonypandy. Over a period of six weeks, the youngsters will be taken from their valley towns and given the opportunity to experience life in the city of Cardiff.
But a press release from MTV explained that the series will also show the stars returning to their hometowns.

The press release reads: 'Home is never far away as the cast will return to The Valleys throughout the series to visit their families and hometowns - a stark contrast between the lives they’ve left behind and the new ones they’re forging in the big smoke.'

MTV UK's announcement for the new show comes after it was announced that Geordie Shore had been commissioned for a third series, with the setting moving to Cancun. The cast, including Gaz Beadle, Vicky Pattison and Charlotte Crosby, are to fly 5,000 miles across the Atlantic to take up their own large villa during the region's legendary Spring Break period. Throughout the planned eight episodes the Newcastle natives are set to attend the wild pool parties and nightclubs the resort is famed for. The second series of Geordie Shore concluded earlier this week.
Reply 199
Original post by Aek-94
What do you all think of this? :tongue:

One word: cringe!

Quick Reply

Latest