The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

oh so you're going to become a history teacher or work in a museum then?

or

why study history when its a study of the past?

if i had a pound for every time someone has said that last one... have to restrain myself from whacking people who say it to me
Reply 1981
Original post by Funsub
It basically is English Lit but with films and I always get that response! I'm always like '...whatever I decide to do...'

Where are you going to study that? I do Film and Sociology so it's doubly worse :tongue:
psychology

i quite often get a response of oh whats the use in that everyone does that you'll never find a job related to that

silly thing is some of the people who say that are those that see cousellors/psychologists so should know that there are jobs in it
Usually one of

"Oh"

"What's that?"

"What are you going to do with that?"

Sometimes I can't even explain my degree myself.

"It's err..it's kind of the study of society...like people and stuff...but not psychology. Or anthropology...it's...I dunno really. Hard to explain..."

It doesn't help that the people I work with on a regular basis are only a couple of years older than me and earning like £35,000 a year, because they've made the right choices in life :frown:
Original post by OU Student
Apparently, studying Law means I can help with someone with his mental health problems. Yeah, I actually had someone say that. :rolleyes:

Apparently the graduate prospects for law aren't looking too healthy atm? Too many students and not enough training contracts or something? A good friend does law but I don't really know much about it, just things I've heard.
Reply 1985
Original post by hihellobye
Some people look at with with a blank face and pause for a while, i've figured it's because i don't look smart or like a science person.
i remember a family friend came to visit, they hadn't seen me since i was like 10 or something. They asked me what i'd be doing in september
so i said uni to study medical biochemistry, they looked at me as if I was aiming beyond what I am capable of.
I'm a medical school reject (haha) so last year when I said to someone that I wanted to apply to uni to study medicine, they had the ' oh that's lovely love..but don't you have to be smart for that' look on their faces. The couple even exchanged looks.

Yeah, I've gotten that look a few times... Awkward.. Makes me feel like a 5 year old saying they are going to be an astronaut when they grow up.... So I've changed my answer to "hmm I haven't decided yet..." A safer option in my opinion :wink:
Reply 1986
They're usually just like, 'oh..'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ilickbatteries
Apparently the graduate prospects for law aren't looking too healthy atm? Too many students and not enough training contracts or something? A good friend does law but I don't really know much about it, just things I've heard.

I can't say this surprises me, tbh.
Original post by Brit_Miller
Mine's always:

A. "What are you studying?"

B. "Maths.."

A. "Wow, you must be clever"

B. "... at UWE"

A. "Oh, nevermind."

:biggrin:

LOL that's funny
What do you do ?
Physics

Responses:
1) OMG !! you must be so smart or that must be so hard
2) Errrrr
3) So you're going to be a teacher ?
4) Like Sheldon

So I usually lie and I say I do random **** like "Nutrition" and the only response I get is, "wow that sounds interesting whats that ?"
English. Haven't told many but were I to tell lots of people I imagine the common response would be something along the lines of 'If you ever need a place to live or a bite to eat, just ask', accompanied by a look of anxious pity.
I haven't started yet but I'll be doing medicine. My last name is Hu and the responses I usually get are:

"OH MY GOD. DOCTOR HU. DOCTOR WHO. THAT IS SO COOL."

"Will you be using a sonic screwdriver instead of a stethoscope *winky face*?"

"Please paint the doors of your ward blue when you're a doctor."

Etc. That's from the people I know, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Them: Wow, Maths!? What's 17 times 21 divided by 6 add 2 minus 10 times 4000000?
Me: errrrr... not that kind of Maths.
Them: There's a different kind of Maths??? :eek:
Reply 1993
Original post by mathsman77
Them: Wow, Maths!? What's 17 times 21 divided by 6 add 2 minus 10 times 4000000?

There's a different kind of maths? :eek:

Jokes aside, I study biomedical science, and some of the responses I've had so far:

So, is that like medicine for plants?

Medicine you say? Biomedicine? Huh?

Are you a doctor?

That sounds complicated

You study what? *I repeat* What? *I repeat* What's that?

Are you like a vet or something?

Original post by mathsman77

Y'mean like Dr Malcom? :biggrin:
Reply 1995
Me: I study British Sign Language and French
Them: oh... So you're a languages guy.. French...and what else?
Me: and British sign language!
Them: I didn't even know that you could do that at university

Then I have to explain how it's a new course and how each country tends to have its own sign language ("why didn't they just make them all the same?") .. Guess it's a conversation starter!
It depends with people who I went to high school/ 6th form with but not too close to
Me: Economics
Them: what happened to medicine(I was kind of pressure into medicine and then expected lay rejected)

Me: I realised I wanted to do economics

Them: so did you get any medicine offers
Me: No rejected after interview from a few
Them: would you have gone into medicine if you had got the offer
Me: my family would have probably made me, but I wouldn't have enjoye DIY and probably failed
Them: but isn't there any way to convert from economics to medicine
Me: um no I don't think so and I don't want to do medicine
Them :frown:dripping with sympathy) it's alright you'll get to medicine somehow
Me: don't really want to be a Dr
Them: why not? I mean you could be saving lives(they just can't fathom it)
Me: (me realising no way to convince them i want to do economics for real) you know what I will see how it goes and can always drop out and try medicine again
Them: yh that's the spirit I know you can do it Dr
Really wish I was joking but I've had this general convo with way too many people

With people who don't know me
Me: economics
Them: so your the reason we are in all this mess *stupid wink*, so when are we getting out of recession?
Me: in we'll it wasn't just economists who caused the crisis and I don't know
Them: yh well you should have seen it coming( never I mind I was 13 when the crisis happened) what kind of economics do you learn
Me :um ...( then I just give up and go) yh I should have, well I haven't been paying attention in lectures these days I will look up the answer

Either way in screwed
Original post by Wolfy^
There's a different kind of maths? :eek:

Jokes aside, I study biomedical science, and some of the responses I've had so far:

So, is that like medicine for plants?

Medicine you say? Biomedicine? Huh?

Are you a doctor?

That sounds complicated

You study what? *I repeat* What? *I repeat* What's that?

Are you like a vet or something?

Most people that ask me seem to think a maths degree consists of 3 years of mental arithmetic. (I am ashamed to say though I am awful at it :colondollar: )

One of my friends wants to do this, I think you are forgetting the slight awkward pause while they desperately think of one of the things you have listed to say :tongue: the 2 bolded seem to be the most popular
Original post by Skip_Snip
Y'mean like Dr Malcom? :biggrin:

I am sorry i do not know who Dr Malcom is :colondollar: even a google search has been to no avail
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1999
Criminology - Either get, ''Ooo that's interesting do you want to join the police'' or words to the tune of ''Is that because you watch CSI'' :unimpressed: I've never watched it in my life :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending