The Student Room Group

After telling someone the degree you study, what is their response?

Scroll to see replies

"Thats not a real science, all you do is cut Chickens all day"

I study Biology
Original post by pshewitt1
that's because you're doing engineering :L?

I meant for our year at Queen's (1st year) - my best mate is doing engineering and he outlined in the great detail the lack of females in it. (And you're right, I used "our" when I should have used "the")
I'm studying Astrophysics starting this September. Usual responses are:

Ewwww, wtf is that????

Wow, that's so cool! Good on you!

You must be good at maths.

The first one is always annoying. Come on people, educate yourselves!

Edit: Can't believe I forgot the classic: "So you're going to be an astronaut?"
(edited 11 years ago)
"What's that?"
"What science?"
Actuarial Science
"Oh you study History? So, what do you plan to do when you graduate? Work in a museum?"
Reply 1785
Original post by HollowPointSmile
I'm studying Astrophysics starting this September. Usual responses are:

Ewwww, wtf is that????

Wow, that's so cool! Good on you!

You must be good at maths.

The first one is always annoying. Come on people, educate yourselves!

I really respect girls who have the confidence to go for courses like that, good luck
Original post by theonefrombrum
Usually 'thanks' because I am informing them that the degree I am studying is their attractiveness and baby, you're a 9!

Well, if you're measuring that in degrees Fahrenheit, they should be giving you a slap. :wink:
Original post by Pride
I really respect girls who have the confidence to go for courses like that, good luck

Why shouldn't a girl do astrophysics? What's so scary about astrophysics? Unless you get the Doctor taking you on field trips.
Reply 1788
Person: So what are planning on doing at uni then?
Me: Biochemistry and Genetics
Person: Wow... Okay... *pulls slightly confused and shocked face*

It's not as nerdy as it sounds :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
After reading this thread I don't think I ever want to ask someone which degree they are studying ever again in the fear I may offend them!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Why shouldn't a girl do astrophysics? What's so scary about astrophysics? Unless you get the Doctor taking you on field trips.

Doctor Who?

Spoiler

:tsr2:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
I used to love art so wanted to get an art degree, when I told people (especially my family, aka doctors, nurses, politicians, etc) they all went:

"Art? You're really going to waste your time with that?"

Luckily (I think) when I did AS Art, I hated it. I didn't like the idea of getting stressed over something that's supposed to relieve stress. So I'm sticking to my Maths and Sciences.
Reply 1793

no I said I respect that, many girls are put off by physics related courses. Engineering, astrophysics, theoretical physics, these are things men dominate.
When I studied nursing, my Facebook inbox was suddenly jammed with messages from people I hadn't heard from in years asking me about funny rashes and palpitations.
Original post by Pride
no I said I respect that, many girls are put off by physics related courses. Engineering, astrophysics, theoretical physics, these are things men dominate.

Ah, see where I am all engineers are overrepresented. Everyone wants to be an engineer. Practically. Most people want to do some kind of engineering, and if they're not, they're related to someone who does. I'm not even joking. Not saying it's bad. Just saying, there's a lot of engineers. Mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, my friend wanted to do civil engineering. Although the only girl who took Advanced Higher Physics wants to do Geology I think. :smile: But yeah, that's true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ah, see where I am all engineers are overrepresented. Everyone wants to be an engineer. Practically. Although the only girl who took Advanced Higher Physics wants to do Geology I think. :smile: But yeah, that's true.

I doubt that though :wink: I know for sure I def not want to be an engineer.
Original post by kishihime
Luckily (I think) when I did AS Art, I hated it. I didn't like the idea of getting stressed over something that's supposed to relieve stress.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Original post by Cszb44
studying Chemical Engineering and have been asked both "and what can you become with that..?" and "does that mean you want to be a terrorist?"

no, i just want to be a chemical engineer!!

[video="youtube;tLjOBobDrL4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLjOBobDrL4[/video]
Original post by FatCharlie
I doubt that though :wink: I know for sure I def not want to be an engineer.

Nearly everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending