The Student Room Group

Applying to Irish universities with A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glitter_star12
i got into science at trinity, but not veterinary and i don't know what i'm going to do yet.
I know irish applicants can redo their leaving cert to get more points, but if i do that does it mean i have to resit everything? even the ones i did well in, or can i just resit the modules i didn't do aswell in? I got 3A's and a B, but would have needed 2A*'s 2A's :/

For points purposes, you would have to resit everything. This is because Irish students have to repeat everything and can't pick and choose. You're about 45 points short, and when you're at over 500 in the first place it's really difficult to drastically improve. Only repeat if you really think you can make up that ground. Otherwise, consider that you could go on to do a post-grad entry?
Original post by StarsAreFixed
For points purposes, you would have to resit everything. This is because Irish students have to repeat everything and can't pick and choose. You're about 45 points short, and when you're at over 500 in the first place it's really difficult to drastically improve. Only repeat if you really think you can make up that ground. Otherwise, consider that you could go on to do a post-grad entry?

I think it's 35 (not that it makes much difference) but i'm just wondering how i could do some modules in january and others in june this year? and how i could re-sit a biology module from AS in january this year? the system really confuses me sometimes :/
I don't know how your own resit system works, but surely you would only need to repeat A2's, not AS as well, because you are only counting A2's for points purposes. If you're counting an AS as a subject requirement, it's fine as it is as long as you passed it, as it isn't counted for points, only matriculation.
Reply 143
Original post by matthew769
Congrats, you going to accept it?

Yeah, it was my first choice over my English Unis :smile: :smile: sooo happy!!
Well done to everyone! All indications are that the bonus maths points DID cause an upsurge. A predictable turn away from arts courses, and a massive increase in IT and engineering, and plenty of medical related courses. It's apparently the greatest increase yet..scary stuff. Trinity is amazing though!
I don't know how your own resit system works, but surely you would only need to repeat A2's, not AS as well, because you are only counting A2's for points purposes. If you're counting an AS as a subject requirement, it's fine as it is as long as you passed it, as it isn't counted for points, only matriculation.

okay i get that, but i mean i took a few of my a2 exams in january, and the rest in june, but surely that isn't classed as one sitting? so how did they allow it? it was the first time for them all (except an AS resit)
Got an offer from Trinity for Philosophy today. Not sure I want it though as I had already decided I was going to Sussex to do Maths. Decisions, decisions.
Original post by glitter_star12
okay i get that, but i mean i took a few of my a2 exams in january, and the rest in june, but surely that isn't classed as one sitting? so how did they allow it? it was the first time for them all (except an AS resit)

They are done within the same academic year, so that's okay. If you took some of them before your final year of school (er the class before sixth form?? confusing to me), THEN you would run into problems, as they don't allow that.
They are done within the same academic year, so that's okay. If you took some of them before your final year of school (er the class before sixth form?? confusing to me), THEN you would run into problems, as they don't allow that.

Sixth form is two years, in year 12 you do AS levels and year 13 you do A2 levels and they are both half of the whole a level, so that's why i don't understand if i just repeat my a2 levels, what happens about the AS levels :s
Reply 149
I got in to Trinity to do Geog and Maths! I'm deferring it :biggrin:

I'm thinking about getting law remarked. I'm 44 ums into the A too and only 4 away from an A*. I got my last law paper remarked and it went up 13!

I got exactly the grades I needed to get in (A*A*AA) so I'm really happy
If I were to do maths I get extra points, right? But would I Have to get a top grade in that?

And would I need to do 3 a levels, or 4?
Reply 151
As far as I know you get 25 Points as long as you pass maths, regardless of the grade. That said it if you're not strong in maths and say get a C (100 points) even with the 25 extra points it would have been better to take something else and get an A (135 points.) Really, corny as it sounds, take a subject you enjoy which you're more likely to excel in.

You don't need 4 A Levels (you can just count a different As Level) but for highly competitive courses like Law, Medicine etc, it's easier with 4.

Is anyone applying for Halls, if so when you registered did your entrance year and course show up on the data they had for you? Mine didn't and I'm wondered if this is just updated later for orientation or do I need to contact TCD and get it updated before continuing my application...
Original post by JaguarCello
If I were to do maths I get extra points, right? But would I Have to get a top grade in that?

And would I need to do 3 a levels, or 4?

It appears so, though in Ireland it has to be higher level maths (as opposed to ordinary level or foundation level) for the bonus points. As said though, if you are very weak in it you are best off doing something you excel at.

I would keep an eye on it though, as there is outrage as to how much the bonus maths points skewed the entire system. It MAY be revoked or revised downwards.

It depends on the course. For medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary, psychology, law and actuary you would desperately need 4 a-levels. Once a course is over 500 points, you pretty much need 4 a-levels as even though it's possible to use 3 a-levels and an AS for courses slightly over 500, you would have a lot less pressure if you just did 4.
Reply 153
what are the chances do you think of getting into a course that says 450 points, and I've got 475 points? Are there only a limited number of places on each course for people from the UK and abroad?
Original post by luker1994
what are the chances do you think of getting into a course that says 450 points, and I've got 475 points? Are there only a limited number of places on each course for people from the UK and abroad?

They reserve places for international students (non EU) You are in direct contention with Irish students. Do you meet all of the entry requirements for the course? If it was placed below a course you were already offered, then you can't get it.
Reply 155
Original post by soxygirl
As far as I know you get 25 Points as long as you pass maths, regardless of the grade. That said it if you're not strong in maths and say get a C (100 points) even with the 25 extra points it would have been better to take something else and get an A (135 points.) Really, corny as it sounds, take a subject you enjoy which you're more likely to excel in.

You don't need 4 A Levels (you can just count a different As Level) but for highly competitive courses like Law, Medicine etc, it's easier with 4.

Is anyone applying for Halls, if so when you registered did your entrance year and course show up on the data they had for you? Mine didn't and I'm wondered if this is just updated later for orientation or do I need to contact TCD and get it updated before continuing my application...

If you're wanting a specific answer try checking the irish boards ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=468 ) :smile: It's basically the Irish TSR and people may have more info than on here :smile:
Reply 156
Does anyone know if it's easy (or even possible) to apply to Ireland and the UK? If I got offers from the UK could I firm one of them and still wait for an Irish offer until the results day, then cancel either one? Would I have trouble with applying for accommodation this way?Thanks!
I've visited Trinity College and simply loved it <3
If you want to apply for medicine in Ireland, you have to sit the HPSAT, right?
Does anyone have experiences with it?
Is it worth preparing although they say you shouldn't / can't?
Is the Royal College of Surgeons good?

Thx for your help :smile:
Original post by katie_cherry
I've visited Trinity College and simply loved it <3
If you want to apply for medicine in Ireland, you have to sit the HPSAT, right?
Does anyone have experiences with it?
Is it worth preparing although they say you shouldn't / can't?
Is the Royal College of Surgeons good?

Thx for your help :smile:

You would probably be best asking about the HPAT in the Medicine forum. Or these threads hre might be of use http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=HPAT

My doctor actually discussed this with me after I mentioned an acquaintance dropping out of UCD med to go to Trinity the following year through the CAO. In his opinion, RCSI is the best medical school. Then UCD, then Trinity. (Out of the Dublin medical schools). He has studied in them all. RCSI gets a slightly raw deal because it isn't a university so it will never appear in rankings. It's only a medical school. That doesn't mean it isn't excellent- it's had a reputation for that for hundreds of years.
Reply 159
What's the accommodation like in Cork, Galway and Dublin, and how limited are places?
Also are UK students eligible for student finance from Ireland?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending