The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Thats great thanks.

Does anyone have any idea on what may come up on the byb4 module, ,energy, control and continuity.

I dont want to mess up on this after all the time spent on revision.

This is the hardest module I have ever had, in terms of the amount of stuff there is to learn, it is about 4 times chemistry module 4, and I aint exaggerating one little bit.
Reply 3
The following topics can all come up in the exam:

*Energy supply
*Photosynthesis
*Respiration
*Survival and coordination
*Homeostasis
*Nervous coordination
*Analysis and integration
*Muscles
*Inheritence
*Variation
*Selection and evolution
*Classification

They all have equal chance of coming up, just revise the whole syllabus! Its long, but if it means you get the grade then it doesn't matter does it!
Reply 4
Any notes on rhodopsin bleaching ?
Reply 5
Kooldood- By any chance did you go to the revision class for unit 4 biology in manchester? They gave us brilliant notes! If you didn't i'll post them.
Reply 6
^^please post them.. :smile:
Reply 7
Shehna
Kooldood- By any chance did you go to the revision class for unit 4 biology in manchester? They gave us brilliant notes! If you didn't i'll post them.

No i didnt thatll be great. Send them to me. Thanks
Reply 8
Well the manchester revision class was brill! It costs us £20 but we got to chat to the head examiners etc. Anyway hope these notes help, they take ages to type up!!!

*Rod cells contain light sensitive pigment called rhodopsin.
*Rhodopsin consists of two components rentinal and opsin.
*When light strikes the rhodopsin, the molecules splits, producing free opsin.
*This acts as an enzyme and initiates a series of reactions that leads to hyper- polarisation of the rod cell membrane (the outside gets more negative)
*If this charge reaches threshold, an action potential is intiated in the connecting neurons, and passes down the optic nerve to brain.
*Bleaching is when the rhodopsin is broken down.

Thats all you need to know really. Hope it helps!
Reply 9
Great notes. Thanks
^you paid for that?????

well anyways yesssss this is the hardest biology module... i am at uni now and i did this module last year... i revised it soooo much, and the same with all my other exams... and what i got for my January exams last year was: Law2-A, Law3-C, Law4-B, ICT-B, ICT-2-A, ICT4-A, BYB2-C and in BYB4 i got a U:frown: so i resat that paper in June and achieved an E in that module by getting 36 out of 90... i friggin' hated Biology and BYB4 was a pain in the a$$ to revise... BYB2 is the easiest... but BYB6/7/8 are also hard, as you have to revise for a synoptic part, meaning you have to revise every biology module...again:frown:
Reply 11
Explain the changes that would take place in rod cells to bring about an increase in retinal sensitivity?

I am bamboozled at this question. Shehna what can you make of this one?
why dont you look at the past exam papers on the AQA website??? it has answers with them...jeez...
Reply 13
Yes I know, but what do you think this means
Rhodopsin was bleached from pigment and from protein. I dont understand the answer.
Reply 14
Shehna
The following topics can all come up in the exam:

*Energy supply
*Photosynthesis
*Respiration
*Survival and coordination
*Homeostasis
*Nervous coordination
*Analysis and integration
*Muscles
*Inheritence
*Variation
*Selection and evolution
*Classification

They all have equal chance of coming up, just revise the whole syllabus! Its long, but if it means you get the grade then it doesn't matter does it!

Thats the whole syllabus lol, nice one
Reply 15
Shehna
Well the manchester revision class was brill! It costs us £20 but we got to chat to the head examiners etc. Anyway hope these notes help, they take ages to type up!!!

*Rod cells contain light sensitive pigment called rhodopsin.
*Rhodopsin consists of two components rentinal and opsin.
*When light strikes the rhodopsin, the molecules splits, producing free opsin.
*This acts as an enzyme and initiates a series of reactions that leads to hyper- polarisation of the rod cell membrane (the outside gets more negative)
*If this charge reaches threshold, an action potential is intiated in the connecting neurons, and passes down the optic nerve to brain.
*Bleaching is when the rhodopsin is broken down.

Thats all you need to know really. Hope it helps!

Is the hyperpolarisation due to the increase in permeability of sodium ions?
Reply 16
Kooldood
Is the hyperpolarisation due to the increase in permeability of sodium ions?

Correct! :biggrin:
I've got the heinemann revision guide which has everything in it, and i'm looking at the answers in the past papers and adding the notes to it. Just learn the principles then note down the key terms. They only give you the marks for mentioning the right terms.

eg na+ actively transported out = 1 mark
Reply 18
Hug me, for I have got this exam and am really scared ...

:frown:
Reply 19
thats exactly what im doing stratomaster, there isnt much point of revising a lot of waffle. Just brief notes according to past papers. Hopefully it'll work.

Latest

Trending

Trending