The Student Room Group

Reincarnation is inevitable and infinite

Our mass is continually recycled. The probability of life reforming in a googolplex years is guaranteed (>99.9999999999999999999999%).

And universes will reform continually over eternity, the matter is just recycled.

Btw I love subway cookies
(edited 3 years ago)
laws of conversation of mass =\= reincarnation

Reincarnation is so much more metaphysically deep
Reply 2
Original post by MatthewAteYou
laws of conversation of mass =\= reincarnation

Reincarnation is so much more metaphysically deep

Well this is just a subjective question of whether you think consciousness needs a body to exist. I think it does. I think if you give it another 5.4 billion years in perfect conditions and started from scratch, we would gradually develop a nervous system and consciousness once again.
Reincarnation isn't self-evident. Is it?
Reply 4
The universe is matter / mass, the soul is not.
Reply 5
Original post by NJA

Consciousness is trillions of chemical reactions happening at once.
Reply 6
Reincarnation demands that the 'new' consciousness is the 'same' consciousness continued, and so this doesn't work.

Some Buddhist takes on rebirth might (it's a night 'might') be more amenable to this, but rebirth =/= reincarnation, despite what Wikipedia claims
Original post by NJA

The universe is energy. Don't you think the soul is also a form of energy? If not, what are you suggesting the soul is made of?
Original post by gjd800
Reincarnation demands that the 'new' consciousness is the 'same' consciousness continued, and so this doesn't work.

I'm not entirely sure reincarnation does demand that TBH but I'm open to persuasion. You could create a completely new "me" in every respect, looking exactly the same, but totally wipe my memory of previous incarnations. Is that not reincarnation?
I guess it's terminology and definitions.

I certainly believe that we are "recycled" if that's a better term. Every atom that makes us what we are has been in the universe since it began. They've simply taken a myriad of different forms over the countless trillions of years. We likely started as stars of hydrogen and helium. If my soul is something different then how am I not aware of anything beyond my current existence?
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
The universe is energy. Don't you think the soul is also a form of energy? If not, what are you suggesting the soul is made of?

Depends on your definition of the soul. If the soul is consciousness as trillions of chemical reactions (as stated above), then yes, the soul is a form of energy.

If the soul is something separate to the body, almost cartesian in nature, then no. The soul doesn't respond or obey the laws of energy (as we know it). The soul, again assuming there is a soul, is of a different kind.
Reply 10
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
I'm not entirely sure reincarnation does demand that TBH but I'm open to persuasion. You could create a completely new "me" in every respect, looking exactly the same, but totally wipe my memory of previous incarnations. Is that not reincarnation?
I guess it's terminology and definitions.

I certainly believe that we are "recycled" if that's a better term. Every atom that makes us what we are has been in the universe since it began. They've simply taken a myriad of different forms over the countless trillions of years. We likely started as stars of hydrogen and helium. If my soul is something different then how am I not aware of anything beyond my current existence?

It does demand that, it is specified in all Hindu scriptures. Memory does not matter because the ātman persists.

I agree more with the 2nd understanding but I don't really believe in a persistent soul
Original post by lhh2003
Well this is just a subjective question of whether you think consciousness needs a body to exist. I think it does. I think if you give it another 5.4 billion years in perfect conditions and started from scratch, we would gradually develop a nervous system and consciousness once again.

Why do you think it does?

And if it does, it disappears at physical death, along with all memory, and is completely distinct and discontinuous from another that appears later. That's not reincarnation.

Also there hasn't been a first "5.4 billion years" to "develop" it even if it could happen like that. If you still believe that, you haven't been paying much attention to the solar system discoveries of the last few decades....
Reply 12
Your kid is ur reincarnation.
Ur sperm is you .

Energy is soul.
Life is eternal hell.
Sleep-state is heaven.
Don't be face identified.

U want freedom/moksh/salvation.
Don't make babies.
Don't u guys understand why Jesus & all these saints, monks ,nuns never married & procreated.

Don't repeat life again and again.

Be free from cycle of birth and death once and for all.

The possibility of life already existing on other planets is 1 by trillionth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending