The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
http://www.arrse.co.uk/regular-soldier-recruitment/88755-medical-info-recruiting-jsp-346-a.html

There's more in-depth notes on the selection of people with medical issues. For ADHD/Aspergers, download the 'Psychiatric disorders' file. I found it really useful to read, because not everything is as cut and dry as the AFCO medical notes make out.

By the way, the ignorance about autism/aspergers is amazing. Lots of people get misdiagnosed with it every year, a fact which the armed forces recognises.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by «THÖMÅS®©™»
Tuesday 4th October will decide my fate!

So how did it go? I'm sure those in the application process would appreciate hearing what changes have come about as a result of your case.
(edited 12 years ago)
Now that my case has been concluded, I can go into further detail...
It did not go well, I lost my case.

Although the Master understood my complaint and did feel that I was mistreated and unfairly considered, I apparently had no claim in law, thus my case was dismissed. I did ask that an order was made against the MoD in order to force them to look again at Asperger's which of course thier Barrister Paul Gott had dismissed as well because according to the MoD:
...Asperger's Syndrome is incompatible with service life...

A claim that find to be completely false and devoid of merit in every way shape and form.

In my case, I was rejected after attending a medical examination, an examination I never ever went to, the only time I went to any Army base was on 17th and 18th September 2003 and 27th and 28th October 2003 for to different "Encounters" with both the Poachers and the Vikings of the Royal Anglian Regiment, I do have irrefutable proof of this fact, including the train tickets issued under warrant from the Careers Office and my destination on these tickets was Royston in Hertfordshire, that was for the "Encounter" at Bassingbourn Barracks. There is even references to this in the Careers Offices OWN LOGS! The basis of my case was the way that I had been treated by the MoD and is directorates, including ATRA (now known as ATRD). They don't care what damage they cause to people's lives nor the damage they do to ones prospects of obtaining a job. They have screwed mine up completely. I have absoutely no chance of obtaining a job, and my own employment solicitor has stated that there is less than 1% chance of that ever happening because of the fact I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have to say, I have more chance of obtaining a job in the U.S Army than in this entire country as a whole. Its rather discussing to be honest, they way the MoD treat thier own people is outrageous and vexatious. The case has caused me an awful lot of stress over the 8 and a half years I have been fighting them. It all came to a head in court when thier Barrister found a way to wriggle the MoD out of a sticky situation, and he is good, and CORRUPT. Just like the people he works for.

If you like, I can post my Particulars of Claim here for all to see, and its a long one, trust me.

But to summarize this post, The MoD have no intentions of reviewing it's policy on Asperger's nor does it intend on having anything but a blanket ban on those diagnosed as having Asperger's. The MoD claim that individuals are assessed on a "case-by-case" basis which is clearly not the case.

So my message is that if your considering joining the Army, and you have been diagnosed as having Asperger's, don't even go to the office or apply, you will only be described as "mental", "retarded" and "unstable" amongst many more just like I was on more than one occasion.
Reply 43
Sorry, I'm really confused,

In my case, I was rejected after attending a medical examination, an examination I never ever went to, the only time I went to any Army base was on 17th and 18th September 2003 and 27th and 28th October 2003 for to different "Encounters" with both the Poachers and the Vikings of the Royal Anglian Regiment, I do have irrefutable proof of this fact, including the train tickets issued under warrant from the Careers Office and my destination on these tickets was Royston in Hertfordshire, that was for the "Encounter" at Bassingbourn Barracks. There is even references to this in the Careers Offices OWN LOGS!

I don't quite understand why you are arguing so vehemently that you went on these two days, were they trying to deny that you went on an 'encounter'? If so was this pivotal to your case?

The basis of my case was the way that I had been treated by the MoD and is directorates, including ATRA (now known as ATRD). They don't care what damage they cause to people's lives nor the damage they do to ones prospects of obtaining a job. They have screwed mine up completely.

How is it the MODs fault that you can't get a job? Have they tattooed the words "don't employ me" on your forehead?

I have absoutely no chance of obtaining a job, and my own employment solicitor has stated that there is less than 1% chance of that ever happening because of the fact I have Asperger's Syndrome. I have to say, I have more chance of obtaining a job in the U.S Army than in this entire country as a whole. Its rather discussing to be honest, they way the MoD treat thier own people is outrageous and vexatious. The case has caused me an awful lot of stress over the 8 and a half years I have been fighting them. It all came to a head in court when thier Barrister found a way to wriggle the MoD out of a sticky situation, and he is good, and CORRUPT. Just like the people he works for.

So you have a less than 1% chance of getting a job because of your Asperger's Syndrome? How exactly is that the MODs fault?

Sorry I'm just really trying to figure out how you can blame the MOD for ruining your life when both you and your employment solicitor admit that it is because of your asperger's syndrome unless you are arguing that the MOD caused it?

Oh also their Barrister is not corrupt, they're simply doing their job.

Or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
I would ask for a re-evaluation. Doesn't sound like you have Asperger's or ADHD. They do get these things wrong.
Reply 45
They don't care what damage they cause to ... ones prospects of obtaining a job. They have screwed mine up completely. I have absoutely no chance of obtaining a job ... because of the fact I have Asperger's Syndrome.

How did you justify that the Army turning you down meant you have no chance of getting a job? You were diagnosed with Aspergers before applying to the Army, so I fail to see how you can adequately suggest it's their fault.
Reply 46
Apply and see what happens. You never know what they will say. The OTC can be quite strict. I can't be bothered to dig out the requirements form atm, but there do seem to be blanket bans on asthma (if you've used an inhaler in the last *will add number later* years) and nut allergies. If they do question your ability a bit, you could try and politely try and persuade them.

I was turned down for high blood pressure and didn't seem to be able to appeal it. I did sort of go "Well fine then, your loss. I'll find something more fun to do." though (to myself, not to them!).

Original post by C_B_C
My advice would be to join the TA during Uni, not the OTC.
If you have a decent unit nearby, you'll find it much more 'down to earth'. And it'll look more impressive on your CV, aswell.

For obvious reasons, don't lie to the army about your medical records (even though worrying about breaching your integrity is a bit odd...)

But aren't the TA deployable? The OTC as far as I know are like the TA, just not deployable (category B or something).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by COLLEY556

The only information I have on such things is to do with Navy medicals, but it might be of use.

A friend of mine who was diagnosed with clinical depression applied for the Navy at the beginning of the last school year, because she was aiming for a Forces scholarship for engineering. Obviously she had to disclose the nature of her condition, but she was told before applying that it wouldn't hinder her application. She did all the aptitude tests and had an interview, if I remember correctly, and everything was fine up until her medical. She was told straight after the medical that the only reason she was rejected was that she was still on medication at the time. I think the stipulation was that you're fine if you've not been prescribed medication for a year.

Completely different condition, I know, but that's all I know on the subject, I hope it helps. :smile:

The best place to ask would be your local recruitment office.

Best of luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Tams80

But aren't the TA deployable? The OTC as far as I know are like the TA, just not deployable (category B or something).

You won't deploy unless you finish your training, aren't a student, and actually volunteer for it.

No, they're quite different; I'll have to remind myself to post later and explain. I have to rush.
According to the paperwork I have, the TA and the regulars have the same over-strict rules on Asperger's and will not change their outrageous opinions.

What's with the -1 on my Reputation? What have I done now?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
will not change their outrageous opinions.

I'm no legal boffin but if their opinions have been accepted by a court I don't think you can really accuse them of being outrageous or over-strict.
I can accuse them of being generally biased and stupid.

None of thier doctors are QUALIFIED PSYCHIATRISTS thus thier opinions should be invalidated.
Reply 52
I can accuse them of being generally biased and stupid.

Was that the basis of your court case?
No, factual evidence....
Reply 54
I still don't actually understand what your case was or what you were claiming happened, but if it makes you feel better then all's well that ends well I guess

Jacet

E2a:
No, factual evidence....

I don't think you meant to put a comma in there
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
No, factual evidence....

The factual part is debatable.
In the eyes of those that do not know the full and extended details of my case yes.
Reply 57
Fair enough, I'm sure nobody wants to get bogged down in in-depth discussion however could you answer me this one question:

If...
I have absoutely no chance of obtaining a job, and my own employment solicitor has stated that there is less than 1% chance of that ever happening because of the fact I have Asperger's Syndrome

Why do you blame the MOD for ruining your life by not employing you? Surely they are simply part of that 99% so how have they done you wrong?
The amount of stress they caused while I was fighting them to understand the nature of Asperger's Syndrome and the ACTUAL EFFECTS of it on ones life.
Reply 59
No wonder you lost...

Latest