The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1
Hey, I'm not at uni yet but I've applied for that too! Is Lancaster your first choice?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
My flatmate does French and German, and enjoys it, but does get a lot of translations to do from what I've seen. But I suppose that is what the course should involve really. :smile:
Reply 3
katie_m4
Hey, I'm not at uni yet but I've applied for that too! Is Lancaster your first choice?

Lancaster is my second choice. Leicester is my first choice! Is Lancaster your first choice? Are you going ot the open day thing? When are you going? cos I might see you there! Have you read the thing about having to choose a third subejct? What's that all about?
Reply 4
It's actually a really good idea.

You have your major subject, which you apply for through UCAS. For me this was Sociology.

When you get here you have to choose one or two subjects to make up a certain amount of credits.

So for me my major is Sociology and my minors are Criminology and Education Studies.

But my friend does Geography, and her minor is Biology. This is because Geography has more than one module, and therefore she only needed to choose one minor.

The idea is, if you don't like your major, you can switch to your minor in the second year and obtain a degree in that subject.

It may seem pointless, but for me it has been worthwhile. I intend to major in Criminology next year.
Reply 5
I haven't decided yet, I've got some offers from some other places too, but I think I'm going to come down for an open day but I'm not sure when yet, what about you?
Reply 6
LubyLoo

You have your major subject, which you apply for through UCAS. For me this was Sociology.

When you get here you have to choose one or two subjects to make up a certain amount of credits.

So for me my major is Sociology and my minors are Criminology and Education Studies.

But my friend does Geography, and her minor is Biology. This is because Geography has more than one module, and therefore she only needed to choose one minor.

The idea is, if you don't like your major, you can switch to your minor in the second year and obtain a degree in that subject.

It may seem pointless, but for me it has been worthwhile. I intend to major in Criminology next year.

Is it easy to swap courses? I'm taking Spanish from beginners and I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not, do you think I'd be able to do something else if I changed my mind? and can you only change in your second year? x
Reply 7
katie_m4
Is it easy to swap courses? I'm taking Spanish from beginners and I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not, do you think I'd be able to do something else if I changed my mind? and can you only change in your second year? x

You can change within about the first 3 weeks I think. After that you have to stick with it, and pass it, to be able to change courses in the second year.
Reply 8
I have also received a conditional offer - BBB for French and Spanish. On reading another post, I was just wondering if we will be able to have a look around the new rooms in Cartmel on 25th February. Also, I'm having difficulty ind deciding whether Lancaster or Salford will be best for me because there is a focus on translating and interpreting at Salford, which there doesn't appear to be at Lancaster, so if anyone who is studying French and Spanish at Lancaster could give details on the course, it would be greatly appreciated. I am also confused by this studying 3 subjects thing - if I were to do French and Spanish, would I have to do something else as well in my first year? Finally, how long will I actually be in lessons - how is everything divided up and will it be a couple of hours a day, or all Monday, no Tuesday etc
Reply 9
LubyLoo

Does the minor subject have to be something studied at ALevel, or cna it be something new to you? cos i do French, Spanish & Englsih combined at Alevel, and cos Ive already applied to do French and Spanish, does that mean i have to take English?
Reply 10
kimzotic
Does the minor subject have to be something studied at ALevel, or cna it be something new to you? cos i do French, Spanish & Englsih combined at Alevel, and cos Ive already applied to do French and Spanish, does that mean i have to take English?

It can be anything you want. :smile:
I have had an offer to do french and linguistics. I was unsure about whether to apply to do french and spanish (as a beginner), will i be able to do all 3 for the 1st year even though 2 will be totally new to me? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending