The Student Room Group

Missed my first day of college.

Hey guys, I had the main induction day yesterday and as it's 9.10 am I should be in double chemistry then double biology afterward but i am at home. My mother had to take an ambulance to hospital with unusual symptoms last night and I was their till very late. I am really worried about her and need to visit the hospital soon and that's why im not at school. It's a city college so my message won't get to my head of year for ages and my teachers won't know. I am thinking of going their in the afternoon to tell my teachers face to face and ask what they convered in the lesson, I will work alot on what I missed. I have made a terrible immpression and feel it's a ****ed up start to the year. I am retaking my AS level year and wanted a clean slate but im worried becuase im missing the unduction lessons to both my sciences (most important subjects) but I am just too worried about my mother to care about going in right now. Any advice?
Reply 1
Just tell your teachers the truth, they won't blame you for missing a lesson considering it's such a serious family problem. If you want to prove yourself to them then you could get your mum to ring them up once she's better and confirm your story. Otherwise you'll hopefully prove to them over the year that you're not a bull****ter by turning up and working hard.
Reply 2
You're getting worried over nothing. You'll catch up in no time, and the college will understand. I've missed the first week of school before and it's never been a major issue.
Oh don't worry, that's a proper issue that the school will definitely understand. And only one day isn't really much, i've missed whole weeks of AS-level by going to do work experience and such as :mmm: And you'll have barely anything to catch up on after just one day, especially at the beginning of the year. So... caaalm.

And i hope your mother gets well soon :smile:
Reply 4
Lucky for you the first week is all introductory lessons and nothing major
Reply 5
I would suggest phoning in anyway, just to let them know you will actually be going in, as sometimes no show-ers are taken off the register if they don't attend in the first week.

So I would say just phone to let them know that something is going on, but that you will be in soon.
If you've already done that, then don't stress, focus on making sure you're mom's okay - and I hope she gets better soon.
Yeah phone in so you've actually done something and made the effort - do you have a college email address yet? I'd have emailed my tutors and told them as well (but you might not know who yours are yet) because they preferred that :P
You won't have missed too much, if it's anything like my college was people were moving classes and missing lessons through administration problems for the first week (was a fairly big college) and you have a valid reason, don't worry too much and concentrate on your mum, I hope she's alright.
Reply 7
I was not able to enrol in my course due to a missing document. Unfortunately I just have the copies of it and have left the original in my home country. I have no idea how that happened as i had triple checked all the documents. The problem is I will have the originals only by Tuesday which means I will miss out all the classes on Monday. I feel terrible.
Original post by mohini n
I was not able to enrol in my course due to a missing document. Unfortunately I just have the copies of it and have left the original in my home country. I have no idea how that happened as i had triple checked all the documents. The problem is I will have the originals only by Tuesday which means I will miss out all the classes on Monday. I feel terrible.

... You do know this thread is from 2011, right?
Reply 9
Original post by emiloujess
... You do know this thread is from 2011, right?

Haha

Quick Reply

Latest