The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Can't Touch This.
And then you'd say 'don't tell everyone you got it from Primark'.

I buy from Primark myself 'cause I'm a cheapskate, innit.
I tend to feel a lot prouder when I buy clothes from H&M than Primark (I tend to buy the basics at Primark). However people say H&M is cheap like Primark, yes H&M is cheaper than River Island/Topshop/Miss Selfridges but it's hardly Primark imo.

Why do you care about what price the clothes are? If anything, selling things for a low price is good, especially if you like the clothes. :s-smilie:
Reply 22
I think H&M's quality of clothing is much better than Primark. How ever naturally I would expect that, as most of H&M's clothing costs more than what the same sort of style clothing would in Primark :h:
I find H&M is good for casual blazers, tees etc but for other items they are dreadfully cut for me.

Primark is even worse. I tend to shop in Zara these days for my basics as they last much, much longer even if it's for an added price.
Reply 24
H&M is amazing, most of my stuff is from there. They do go through good and bad phases though - atm, it's a bit of a bad one, but then again imo all fashion is a bit poo at the minute.

I find that Primark puts seams in the wrong places so tops never fit properly. Also, they seem to make clothes that are ultimately bags - which is great if you're super skinny or quite large, but I'm curvy and need fabric with darts or gathers to actually show I do have a waist under my boobs!

So yeah, H&M >> Primark.
Reply 25
Go for NEWLOOK or looking for ASOS online, they have better quality
Original post by MusingsOfSmudge
H&M if I am looking for basics. The Primark in Plymouth is so disorganised with everything on the floor and people with three million children running around like lunatics, I just feel my blood pressure rise as soon as I enter the shop.

Oh god this. I always think it's a good idea when I'm in Plymouth to try and enter Primark but I always have to leave after about 2 minutes because I immediately feel dizzy and sick.

In answer to the actual thread title, I don't really buy much from either store, but H&M is definitely better quality.
I prefer H&M to Primark. Primark's not that cheap anymore! But the quality there borders on appauling. Can anyone else get their clothes to actually fit you? Dresses seem to hang off me in all the wrong places :/
Where do you normally get your fashion clothes from?

TK Maxx, Monsoon (if they have a sale, boy do I make the most of that), dorothy perkins, next and charity shops (I often find designer clothes in there! :biggrin:)
Primark is awful.

H&M is acceptable, but the quality isn't great. Some items are ok e.g. leggings some are awful e.g. tracksuit bottoms
Reply 30
They all make their clothes in the same places, it's just Primark put less of a mark-up on theirs. The quality is pretty much the same. They're my favourite two shops - it used to be that H&M was better for styling and overall looks, but now Primark is really good at cottoning onto trends.
My favourite is River Island :smile: but it's too expensive to get all my clothes out of, so I get most out of prim ark/H&M
Reply 32
Original post by AspiringGenius
My favourite is River Island :smile: but it's too expensive to get all my clothes out of, so I get most out of prim ark/H&M

Same, I love river island and topshop but I just can't afford it so primark will have to doo :[
Original post by Boo!xx
Same, I love river island and topshop but I just can't afford it so primark will have to doo :[

I'm not sure what I think of Topshop, I like the fashions when they're portrayed with the models, but I'm not keen when I wear them. Most of the mens trousers tend to be those arc ones which I really dislike and the T shirts tend to be very thin, and have low neck lines (I think the word is hevage lol... And I'm quite conservative in clothing so I don't like that. I prefer River Island because they do better fits of trouser and the tops sometimes have neck ornaments wwhich I like and is more my style. (they even had a turtleneck online recently :colondollar:) the only thing I can say is they don't have long enough trousers, as I need W28 L34, but no shops stock this so I have to go for the W30 L34. I find these hard to find in RI.
Reply 34
Original post by AspiringGenius
I'm not sure what I think of Topshop, I like the fashions when they're portrayed with the models, but I'm not keen when I wear them. Most of the mens trousers tend to be those arc ones which I really dislike and the T shirts tend to be very thin, and have low neck lines (I think the word is hevage lol... And I'm quite conservative in clothing so I don't like that. I prefer River Island because they do better fits of trouser and the tops sometimes have neck ornaments wwhich I like and is more my style. (they even had a turtleneck online recently :colondollar:) the only thing I can say is they don't have long enough trousers, as I need W28 L34, but no shops stock this so I have to go for the W30 L34. I find these hard to find in RI.

Yeah some of the topshop clothes are too much, but I think if you find something nice there then it's really nice, and I usually get loads of compliements on it. Also they make that quality clothes which fit very well... and there shoes are just amazing! I always buy my shoes from topshop/ river island because they usually have a original look about them and are good quality. Even though I pretty much always buy my clothes from primark/ HnM I spend that bit more for nice long lasting shoes :]
In general, I find H&M to be a tad more expensive than Primark but sells better quality clothes (what I buy from there anyway).
Reply 36
I don't really think it's like primark.. I mean I do have stuff from primark but it always seems to look better on the hanger and you put it on and its all misshapen and stuff, and never lasts many washes....H&M clothes just seem to be better made.
As for the not basic clothes, the H&M clothes are just nicer. I don't think of it as a cheap shop at all, but yeah it is more affordable than other good high st shops.
A lot of my stuff is from Primark because it's cheap, and the size 8 stuff is normally really tiny so it's normally nice and tight :smile: sometimes the stitching or whatever is a bit off but for the price I let it pass or don't buy the item, I mean the amount fashion changes these days, Primark is perfect for the quick fix. I find some stuff in H&M way to expensive and alot of their small sizes are big. The basics like plain cardies, tops and skirts are all good fits though.
I prefer Primark to H&M, especially because I can get lovely pendants, necklaces, bracelets, socks and bags, the little things that make the outfit for a reasonable price!! But my favourite shop is Miss Selfridge, ahh when I'm rich :biggrin:
Reply 38
I love H&M at the moment, definitely appreciating the prices now. Gotta save!

Quality is much better than Primark, which don't always last very long :frown:
I like H+M though some (well quite a lot of it) looks like cheap tat, but you can find some lovely things in there. Primark however, eugh, hate it.

Latest