The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I've felt the urge to post sometimes, though it feels like a small close group in here sometimes. Started reading these discussions when I got into reading up about lifting etc. The banter here is good both the srs and the stupid discussions :P and have learnt a lot by just reading and researching tbh.

Got into fitness early on, been practising karate since I was 8 (now 19) Been lifting on and off as a noob for a couple of years, as you do. You know just some dumbbells in the garage etc. (ok and a barbell, pullup bar) But been training seriously for about 5 months now. Squat 85k x 5 Bench 70k x 5 Deadlift around 115k x 5 :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HilariousNinja
What kind of range of motion for OHP is adequate? I think the reason why my press is so **** is that I always get stuck on the last few reps if I reset on my chest.

--
with front press id say between chin and upper pec is fine you'll find a lot of the pros don't lock out they tend to favour constant tension and tbh I feel it has it's place lockout is fine as long as you contract properly and don't use it as an excuse to rest but hard contractions will zap power the partial has it's place and allows you to shift some tonnage and stops the triceps coming in too much I use partials on chest a lot as my tris tend to take the load
Original post by BB09
Nice mate, any idea what division? Also you said you have been boxing and doing weights for a while? Do you think weights has helped you?

I'd be at superheavyweight definitely.

In ways it has helped, but not always. I'm stronger than most other people there which I think must be a good thing.

but weight training for boxing is completely different to training for strength and/or size. Coaches always think it's stupid of me to get bigger because I need to get quicker. and they'd have me doing purely plyos and bodyweight stuff if they could. So it kind of conflicts but at this level it's not a massive deal. I might be a bit slower than someone lighter but I hit hard.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Can you give us a lurker's opinion of TSRMBSFM? Who's the best member?

If you filter through all of the **** then there's some good knowledge somewhere :P

As for the best member? I couldn't say bro that would be just too weird, but I hear XYZ has dem traps.
Wrong asnwer.

It's me.
Original post by paddy__power
Probably better than my numbers :lol:

:O What are your numbers atm then? I thought yours were higher than that...

Original post by SwordStream
Got into fitness early on, been practising karate since I was 8 (now 19) Been lifting on and off as a noob for a couple of years, as you do. You know just some dumbbells in the garage etc. (ok and a barbell, pullup bar) But been training seriously for about 5 months now. Squat 85k x 5 Bench 70k x 5 Deadlift around 115k x 5 :smile:

What routine are you doing? SS?

What did your lifts start at?
Original post by MHorman
:O What are your numbers atm then? I thought yours were higher than that...

What routine are you doing? SS?

What did your lifts start at?

Nothing. I've not been in like two weeks and had only gone a few times before then. :facepalm:

Are those your x5 maxes?

I can definitely beat the deadlift haha.
is fluxD ever coming back? seems to have been banned for ages
Original post by paddy__power
Nothing. I've not been in like two weeks and had only gone a few times before then. :facepalm:

Are those your x5 maxes?

I can definitely beat the deadlift haha.

Nah, those aren't my maxes. Those are what i reckon i will hit after having 2.5 months off from lifting.

My 5RM are urm, 115/75/140, ish. Not sure on the exact numbers off the top of my head...
Reply 389
Original post by MHorman
Nah, those aren't my maxes. Those are what i reckon i will hit after having 2.5 months off from lifting.

My 5RM are urm, 115/75/140, ish. Not sure on the exact numbers off the top of my head...

Did you end up losing weight or putting some on because of the food?
Original post by GQ.
Did you end up losing weight or putting some on because of the food?

About the same tbh. Food is very high carb low protein stuff most of the time so was difficult to eat.

And i lived off oreos/fizzy drinks in some places as that's all they sell at some shops... ffs...

Not weighed in properly yet though..
Reply 391
Original post by MHorman
About the same tbh. Food is very high carb low protein stuff most of the time so was difficult to eat.

And i lived off oreos/fizzy drinks in some places as that's all they sell at some shops... ffs...

Not weighed in properly yet though..

Dude didn't you just travel round asia? Where abouts? Why the **** were you eating oreos when you could've been eating some amazing food?
Original post by GQ.
Dude didn't you just travel round asia? Where abouts? Why the **** were you eating oreos when you could've been eating some amazing food?

On the long buses between countries they stop at these shops in the middle of nowhere and all there is to buy is fizzy drinks or oreas basically...

Had some epic food in Thailand though but even the nice food had barely any protein in...
Reply 393
Ok today I got most creepiest pm ever...
been on this site a long time just browsed through really but i thought i'd join and looked through clothing bit because i need some clothes and it says u sag? i do it too but i wear mine pretty low is that weird haha do you? sorry if i come across weird mate but yeah.

WTF?
Reply 394
Original post by MHorman
On the long buses between countries they stop at these shops in the middle of nowhere and all there is to buy is fizzy drinks or oreas basically...

Had some epic food in Thailand though but even the nice food had barely any protein in...

LOVE Thailand. One of my favourite cuisines.
Reply 395
Original post by Monkey_Pete
is fluxD ever coming back? seems to have been banned for ages

I want to know this... he had me lol'ing a lot in the past :frown:
Original post by fireph
I want to know this... he had me lol'ing a lot in the past :frown:

but the looks of it he last posted about 3 weeks ago, and my friendly neighbour mod is not allowed to tell me how long is left on the ban. But he could have a month ban and be back in a week would be my guess
Reply 397
Original post by Monkey_Pete
but the looks of it he last posted about 3 weeks ago, and my friendly neighbour mod is not allowed to tell me how long is left on the ban. But he could have a month ban and be back in a week would be my guess

Hope so... what did he actually get banned for?
Original post by fireph
Hope so... what did he actually get banned for?

not sure, probably spamming about the spiderman meme photos with swearing in them, think he has been banned for that previously
Original post by MHorman

I've never tried to do 5 rep maxes so I have no idea. I can definitely 5 rep 140 though. I doubt I can bench that for 5 reps as I struggled on the third set at 60 (:facepalm:) although I could bench it a few years ago and I have literally no idea about the squat. What about OHP?

Latest