The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a relatively easier A-level subject to get A?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harvo
That's because maths has a smarter intake of students, mainly idiots with nothing else to do, do psychology.

I wouldn't say idiots but people who have performed well at maths at GCSE are more likely to take it at A Level. Plenty of smart people take psychology... the average person who takes psychology may be less academic than those who take maths.

My point is that the grading takes this into account.
Reply 21
Psychology AS is mostly revolved around learning facts about the core studies, (for OCR anyway) so it kind of suited me! A2 is apparently more interesting and you get to apply your knowledge more and not just recite stuff!
Original post by Harvo
That's because maths has a smarter intake of students, mainly idiots with nothing else to do, do psychology.

Firstly Thats not a very nice thing to say, secondly its WRONG and thirdly it perpetuates the myth that psychology is an "easy" aka a doss subject any total t*sser can pass.

For those of us who know because we have to teach it year on year, I can assure you psychology is relatively ( to other subjects) Hard. It doesn't just get fewer A grade passes because its has a wider ability intake. It does so because most fat headed big mouthed kids are arrogant enough to suggest that it is so easy that only the wasters take it.

To be truthful Psychology requires mathematical analysis and understanding at the level of AS maths. It has a requirement for English language at the level of A Level English and it has science skills equal to those of biology and chemistry.

Those students who get A grades will get similar grades in other subjects anyway. Many other students find that their grades in other subjects will be at least one grade higher than in psychology.

Most of the low ability and those who take it because they have nothing else to take FAIL - thats why psychology also has a higher % of U grades issued.

If you want a doss subject take sociology or media , art, drama , geography or even history. ALL of those are relatively easy ( compared to psychology)
Reply 23
I struggled with A Level Psychology, ended up getting a C.

Although, to be honest, my heart really wasn't in it and I found it boring. I absolutely loved Politics and got an A in that so I think if you like the subject and are able to engage with it effectively you can get an A in it. It isn't as 'soft' as everyone makes it out to be though, the are some complicated biological aspects as well as lots of studies to remember!
Reply 24
Original post by wellpastmybedtime
Firstly Thats not a very nice thing to say, secondly its WRONG and thirdly it perpetuates the myth that psychology is an "easy" aka a doss subject any total t*sser can pass.

For those of us who know because we have to teach it year on year, I can assure you psychology is relatively ( to other subjects) Hard. It doesn't just get fewer A grade passes because its has a wider ability intake. It does so because most fat headed big mouthed kids are arrogant enough to suggest that it is so easy that only the wasters take it.

To be truthful Psychology requires mathematical analysis and understanding at the level of AS maths. It has a requirement for English language at the level of A Level English and it has science skills equal to those of biology and chemistry.

Those students who get A grades will get similar grades in other subjects anyway. Many other students find that their grades in other subjects will be at least one grade higher than in psychology.

Most of the low ability and those who take it because they have nothing else to take FAIL - thats why psychology also has a higher % of U grades issued.

If you want a doss subject take sociology or media , art, drama , geography or even history. ALL of those are relatively easy ( compared to psychology)

Actually most students find that their psychology grades are higher than the sciences maths physics chemistry. I agree that psychology is harder than all the subjects you listed however.
Original post by dianakidds
Trying to re-apply to medicine next year, and would love to do another subject on my own in A-level. Trying to pick another subject easier to get an A, would Psychology be a better choice?

Please give some suggestion xx

did you get a conditional offer for medicine?
what grades did you get?
Reply 26
I got an A in psychology on OCR and found it easy but in A2 i found they had loads of case studies to remember! If you're good at remembering details of lots of different studies and comparing and evaluating ideas then it is a good subject to get an A in and would look good for medicine is suppose :smile:
Original post by Harvo
Actually most students find that their psychology grades are higher than the sciences maths physics chemistry. I agree that psychology is harder than all the subjects you listed however.

Not in most of the schools I have worked in they don't. ( I have worked in six schools - how many have you been in?) They will get the same grades in maths
( have a lot of maths students taking psychology). In equal parts they will get either a grade higher or a grade lower in Chemistry and Biology. Usually on a par in English for most of my lost (although they do tend to be science students)

Geography and History seem to be a grade higher generally.

Nearly everything else is at least a grade easie or more . Home Economics ( not economics) and Art ( even for the untalented) and Media are up to two grades easier. I have seen students who have been refused in many other subjects, are pushed to psychology and Business and fail Psychology, scape an E in Business but get grade C or D in those in Art Media and Home Ec.
Reply 28
It's easy to get an A at AS, but at A2 you need to work pretty hard as there's so much more to learn.
Reply 29
There's a good article here by Matt Jarvis examining whether psychology A-level is easy and whether universities look down on it: http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm?volumeID=24&editionID=205&ArticleID=1913 . In short, he says no to both!
Original post by OllieTJ
There's a good article here by Matt Jarvis examining whether psychology A-level is easy and whether universities look down on it: http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm?volumeID=24&editionID=205&ArticleID=1913 . In short, he says no to both!

Wow, such a good article, he even mentioned thestudentroom! He did basically say that psychology isn't easy, but it isn't particularly useful for anything other than nursing, psychology, speech sciences and sociology- since there isn't enough extended writing and transferable skills.

From personal experience I found psychology a challenge, but mostly for memorizing and learning exam technique, whereas subjects like physics are about 2/3 exam technique and 1/3 learning advanced concepts...

I think that 10% of psychology A Level should be coursework... like in the other sciences.
Reply 31
Original post by iammichealjackson
Wow, such a good article, he even mentioned thestudentroom! He did basically say that psychology isn't easy, but it isn't particularly useful for anything other than nursing, psychology, speech sciences and sociology- since there isn't enough extended writing and transferable skills.

From personal experience I found psychology a challenge, but mostly for memorizing and learning exam technique, whereas subjects like physics are about 2/3 exam technique and 1/3 learning advanced concepts...

I think that 10% of psychology A Level should be coursework... like in the other sciences.

Glad you liked the article. The author blogs regularly on www.facebook.com/psychologyreview which is where I got the link from.
Actually I'm surprised he didn't mention teaching, I know a lot of people who studied psychology who went on to teach, and it allows you to teach biology as well as the social sciences.
Original post by OllieTJ
Glad you liked the article. The author blogs regularly on www.facebook.com/psychologyreview which is where I got the link from.
Actually I'm surprised he didn't mention teaching, I know a lot of people who studied psychology who went on to teach, and it allows you to teach biology as well as the social sciences.

I wish I heard of this before finishing my A Levels... apparently you can ask Matt Jarvis Questions...
I got an A*. Requires a low level of intellectual acquisition (i.e. the material is easy to understand, unlike the intellectual acquisition required in subjects like Mathematics, Physics etc) but a high level of studying. Quite similar to Law really. Doing well just requires a ton of revision and a really good memory.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Maicccccmannnn
I got an A*. Requires a low level of intellectual acquisition (i.e. the material is easy to understand, unlike the intellectual acquisition required in subjects like Mathematics, Physics etc) but a high level studying. Quite similar to Law really. Doing well just requires a ton of revision and a really good memory.

Pretty much sums it up
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dianakidds
actually i hv no idea of the ease of getting A of different subjects :P
can you suggest me which are the easier subjects? thx x

sociology by far!
Well I didn't find it too hard, but then it all depends on mastering the technique and 'getting' what the essays want off you. It depends on you as a person and how you work. Don't let people convince you it's automatically easy. Plus I was basically on track for a dead cert A* and ****ed up the last exam, ended up missing out on one by 10 UMS just because the exam board came out at the last minute and bit me in the ass by providing a paper you couldn't just memorise stuff for :emo:
It's relative difficulty depends on your interest, ability to write essays, evaluate and remember researcher's names and what they did/found.

Self-teaching psychology can be quite hard to do if you haven't got the right materials or enough time, and guides don't tend to cover everything you need (at least with my exam board - WJEC).
Reply 38
I managed to get an A in psychology but it depends on you really. There's a lot of studies/cases/methodology to revise so you memory has to be pretty good! If you're good at remembering detailed info then you should be good at it!
Reply 39
It isn't easy but its relative to the effort you put in.

To the person that said not to take it as a private candidate-I disagree.

I'm a private candidate, aged 26, working full time at 37.5 hours a week in a demanding job evening(with criminals) and I sat papers 1 and 2 in may and June. I got two A's.

I have no teachers helping me , no one to ask for help, just me and my text books and 3 months to revise before I sat the first two papers. Its possible if your heart is in it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending