The Student Room Group

Should I do maths a level?

Currently I average a grade 7 in maths but that’s with no revision and I’ve also chosen to do economics and psychology for a level I’m also doing core maths aswell

Is the leap between gcse and a level maths really difficult to navigate through?
Reply 1
Original post by Simply_stroller
Currently I average a grade 7 in maths but that’s with no revision and I’ve also chosen to do economics and psychology for a level I’m also doing core maths aswell

Is the leap between gcse and a level maths really difficult to navigate through?

It’s a big leap, yes. If you want to take economics seriously (eg at degree level), you might regret not taking a level maths
Reply 2
it is quite a big leap from gcse to a-level, but if you're prepared to work hard and practise a LOT it will be helpful, especially if you want to go into econ at uni, as most of the top unis will generally require maths a-level too
my friend got a grade 7 at gcse and is currently doing better than me in a-level maths (i'm in y13) because he works insanely hard and does hundreds of exam questions.
i do have to ask though, why are you doing core maths?
Reply 3
If you don't do A level Maths, which 3rd subject would you take instead.
It definitely is a pretty big leap, as others have already said, but additionally, my teacher always asks prospective students at open days whether they enjoy algebra. So if you do, then you'll like a level maths relatively more than if you don't.
Also, have you done further maths at GCSE? If so, 1st year of a level maths is very similar to it, so you'll find it much easier. Don't worry otherwise, either. It's not really required, just kinda useful
Hope this was useful :smile:
Reply 5
math is the source man, swear to God it will change your life.

Quick Reply

Latest