The Student Room Group

a level options

I wanna go into dentistry and so far for my a-levels I have chosen biology chemistry but I don't know what to pick for my 3rd option. I'm considering choosing either sociology or psychology. PLEASE HELP ME ON WHICH ONE I SHOULD CHOOSE
Reply 1
look at the colleges you want to go to and the exam boards they use for both those subjects because different exam boards may cover slightly different content. for each subject, look at what do you study in them, how are the exams structured etc. don't just pick a subject because you think you have to, pick it if you have a genuine passion for it.
when i was researching what subjects to take for medicine, i realised that i only needed chemistry and one other science, plus a subject of my choice. i chose english literature and it was one of the best decisions i've made. i can't help you pick a subject because i don't know you - what you like/dislike, how you study, what your interests are. that's something that you need to decide so make it carefully and consider all your options.
(there is almost always the option to transfer courses once you get to college but you don't want to waste precious days waiting for timetables to be rearranged, so just make an informed decision early and only do that if you feel like you absolutely have to)
Reply 2
Original post by a.willow
look at the colleges you want to go to and the exam boards they use for both those subjects because different exam boards may cover slightly different content. for each subject, look at what do you study in them, how are the exams structured etc. don't just pick a subject because you think you have to, pick it if you have a genuine passion for it.
when i was researching what subjects to take for medicine, i realised that i only needed chemistry and one other science, plus a subject of my choice. i chose english literature and it was one of the best decisions i've made. i can't help you pick a subject because i don't know you - what you like/dislike, how you study, what your interests are. that's something that you need to decide so make it carefully and consider all your options.
(there is almost always the option to transfer courses once you get to college but you don't want to waste precious days waiting for timetables to be rearranged, so just make an informed decision early and only do that if you feel like you absolutely have to)

there both relatively similar i would say i personally picked bio chem and maths, i’m not good with words tbh
Original post by harprit
I wanna go into dentistry and so far for my a-levels I have chosen biology chemistry but I don't know what to pick for my 3rd option. I'm considering choosing either sociology or psychology. PLEASE HELP ME ON WHICH ONE I SHOULD CHOOSE

I did sociology and absolutely loved it. Id deffo recommend it.
Cant comment on psychology though as ive never done it.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I did sociology and absolutely loved it. Id deffo recommend it.
Cant comment on psychology though as ive never done it.

i would be so grateful if you did it for me
Original post by rafifin605
i would be so grateful if you did it for me

Did what?
i take both socio and psych. Sociology would be helpful if your interested in the world in general and peoples perceptions whilst psychology may be a bit more relevant if youre going to interact with people. I personally would suggest socio as your other two subjects are already content heavy and psychology is not for the faint hearted. Sociology is a really enjoyable subject where you learn about the society, family, gender roles and how people are us influence us. It may sound slightly bland however its really fun and the content is similar to psychology slightly but much easier comparatively
Reply 7
Original post by rafifin605
there both relatively similar i would say i personally picked bio chem and maths, i’m not good with words tbh

sorry not trying to be rude but if you've not personally studied sociology/psychology how can you speak on if they are similar? i haven't, so i didn't advise the OP on which to pick as well as the reasons i said in my original reply
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by a.willow
sorry not trying to be rude but if you've not personally studied sociology/psychology how can you speak on if they are similar? i haven't, so i didn't advise the OP on which to pick as well as the reasons i said in my original reply

because 2 of my friends revise togthether like the same topics sorta and one does psych and one socio

i’m not speaking from knowledge

Quick Reply

Latest