The Student Room Group

Megathread of Waterloo Road

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jarred
I didn't think it was too bad when I watched it, which surprised me. Then I realised why:

It's basically a carbon copy of a season 3 episode. Janeece gets friendly with a supply teacher, he ends up taking her to a hotel and it turns out that he is actually some kind of pedophile who lied about his identity. Okay, so there are a couple of differences in that Janeece knew she was going into a relationship, but other than that it's actually pretty much the same.

Yeah that's what I was thinking! The writers have been reusing so many old storylines this season.
Reply 1581
last one in this block of episodes tomorrow.
Reply 1582
good afternoon everyone.
Reply 1583
Afternoon. Are you looking forward to tonight's episode?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1584
Yeah, hope next season they can revive it
Reply 1585
I just miss the old waterloo road! With Bolton Smiley, I'm also a bit sad after grantly's death. You felt like he would be there forever!
Reply 1586
been good tonight.
Here are my grade descriptors as usual:

0-3: Incoherent, Major plot flaws.
4-6: Contrived: Occasional Major + Minor plot flaws.
7-10: Reasonably Convincing: Minor plot flaws.

Main issues
I suppose the predictability. The sue and losley story-line was playing out exactly like lorna and tom right until he seemed to suddenly love her in the final scene. I suppose they changed it so it wouldn't be the same as the S1 storyline. The eloping thing was a bit ridiculous though, I don't think people really behave like that; if WR is to be believed then everyone has a very low tolerance to emotional extremes and rash decisions. But, almost, Grudgingly I can't find anything exactly incoherent about it. The lashing out at people because of the bullying thing, is possible I suppose, but you really need to get the plot right to make it work. I thought the new character was actually a pretty good actor, but he didn't make the attacking of a teacher feel like the unhinged reaction at the end of the line. I mean I suppose the looming threat of the farther can justify it, but the trigger and its portrayal didn't make me feel the right emotional response of surprise, empathy and sympathy. The boxing thing played out reasonably, but the issue here is the unrealistic premise. Sponsorship doesn't justify the sheer amount of individual attention Kacey receives, especially from Mrs Boston - in order to make this 'trip of a lifetime' look realistic, the focus should be on the child and the effort/determination she puts in and that has never come across. What we have is the climax built on pandering (although something I can't really blame the current episode for). And kasey wouldn't have looked so much like a brat if we had seen more about her turmoil and ultimate success in the face of adversity. A few small points now, Darren is a terrible actor - rivaling kevin and maggie. If you don't get rid of all three then WR will never be of high quality again. Christine was okay, I suppose, although her unconventional bullying strategy was a bit ridiculous. Her 'previous faults' were sacking offenses; they made her a danger to the people around her. She should not be getting kudos for this (I am reluctant however to judge this episode too much on the rubbish that came before). The Mr windsor and Christine flirtation/harrasment was a little hard to take seriously, I think both were overacting.

Redeeming features

Carol barry's acting was good this week, especially when she expelled barry. Maybe a little overplayed but certainly something I couldn't pull off. Pretty believable emotion. I thought Sues acting (around the difficult plots) could also be praised in this episode. The new character, and mother were believable characters too, although again the plot prevented them from reaching full potential. Tbh I am struggling a bit in this one, I don't have anything particularly major, certainty nothing worthy of zeros and ones like I have to put up with most weeks. But the thing is, the whole thing came across as very contrived; it never felt like a school and although I was grateful for WR not catching fire, or half a dozen characters dying for some arbitrary reason I felt it was a good attempt to close off an awful series. There was nothing to work with.

For this reason, I can't score the episode too high - none of it felt realistic. But my criticism on the other hand was at a much higher level, certainly the episode can be praised for having no cringe worthy plot holes (and I have just come to expect them). So I'll put it well into the 2nd band at a strongly contrived 4+, just missing out on 5/10. I am optimistic though, that a psedoseries ender like this could pave the way for some higher scores next term.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok, so I've caught up with Waterloo Road after after having not watched it in over a year. What can I say, typical Waterloo Road. Has it's moment of brilliance followed by a segment which is just horrible and cringe-worthy i.e. Grantley is in a coma for months and then all of a sudden when they've just pulled the plug, he magically awakens... What really annoys me about WR is that when students are on a 'final' warning, they get a billion more chances; teachers included.

Really like the Barry's especially Barry (lol) and it seems Kasey's transgender thing was literally forgotten about it like 1 episode. Would've loved to see Kyle Stack back. Why didn't they incorporate him into season 9 after Tom's death? Could've easily developed on it after making such a big fuss on wanting to come back and learn.

Why did they have to pick Scotland of all places to put the new Waterloo Road in. The accent just does my head in.

oh Imogen's mum :perv:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1589
i think this series got better , thought the first 4-5 episodes were quite average , it started to pick up in Episode 6 and 7 , 8 was again average but 9 and 10 were good.
Reply 1591
according to this tweet , it is back on the 8th of next month at 8.30pm

https://twitter.com/WaterlooRoad/status/410816523155304448/photo/1
Reply 1592
back on Wednesday at 8.30pm
Reply 1593
Waterloo Road back tonight at 8.30pm.
:biggrin:
I'm excited for tonight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That. Was. Hilarious :biggrin:
Reply 1597
That was probably better than most episodes of the previous term, which is something, but it's still nowhere near the pre-Scotland level.
Can someone clear this up for me, why did gabriella feel guilty about her sister? I missed that bit?
Was I the only one who didnt like that episode?! This new storyline and character I can tell are really going to irritate me and the acting of those who played her parents was just shocking

Quick Reply

Latest