The Student Room Group

Which language to choose...

For my uni course i have to choose a language for a module...
i can choose Japanese, chinese, spanish, french, or german...
im thinking spanish or chinese...
however ive heard chinese is very hard to learn...
my course is business and financial management....

what do you guys suggest??
many thanks :smile:
There's no point learning a language for business unless you can learn it to a high standard. These modules certainly aren't meant to give you a comprehensive knowledge of the language by any stretch but can give you strong foundations for continuing on your own.

If you're serious about learning a language for business keep this in mind and ask yourself which you would enjoy carrying on afterwards.

I doubt a single module could get you anywhere serious in Mandarin at all. Personally I would do Spanish - simply because it requires the least effort to get it to the point where its useful.
Reply 2
Chinese hands down
Spanish is a lovely language, the Spanish are lovely people, and they have a lovely culture. It's also the language of major emerging economies like Mexico, Venezuela, Panama and Costa Rica, as well as Spain. Definitely do Spanish!

Mandarin and Japanese are a waste of time unless you have years to devote to study, French and German are great but their importance in the world is steadily diminishing. Also, everyone and their dog studies French and/or German at school, Spanish is less popular despite being more useful, so a good command of Spanish gives you an edge in the jobs market.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
German if you're planning to stay in the EU :smile: It's pretty easy too!
Reply 5
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
A good command of Spanish gives you an edge in the jobs market.

Along with millions of other people... Spanish is the most learnt language, too many people speak it.

In Europe for business it is German you want to learn, Eastern Europe/CIS it is Russian although German is what most Eastern European businesses prefer (unless they know English).

Doing business in Oceania would mean Mandarin is what people should ideally learn although not required really as those from China and the surrounding countries that are in business should in theory have a good command of English.
Original post by tehFrance
Along with millions of other people... Spanish is the most learnt language, too many people speak it.

It's the least learnt of all the "big three" continental European languages by the British population. French stands at about 25-30%, German at about 15%, Spanish at about 7%. A good command of Spanish put you in a minority of that 7% . . .

In the British jobs market, learning Spanish is a good move for the moment. Well, learning any language is, but I would still put money on it being a valuable skill in the future.
Reply 7
No point in learning a language you don't like, so research and see what leanguage is more appealing to you and go for it.
Reply 8
I would probably go for Spanish. Clearly you don't have a strong desire to learn any of those languages (otherwise you wouldn't be asking TSR). And you can't learn a language to any good standard with just the 1 module - so you might as well pick the language which is easiest, and hence will progress the most in, which I would say is probably Spanish (I've not studied it, but I think the pronunciation is more regular than French).

You won't get any kind of marketable skill from a single Chinese or Japanese module. You need to learn those languages properly or not at all. Spanish has easy grammar, easy vocab, so go for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aphalleon
Chinese hands down

No such language. It's called Mandarin. Also Mandarin is not the only Chinese language, you idiot!
Reply 10

Mandarin and Japanese are a waste of time unless you have years to devote to study, French and German are great but their importance in the world is steadily diminishing. Also, everyone and their dog studies French and/or German at school, Spanish is less popular despite being more useful, so a good command of Spanish gives you an edge in the jobs market.

I highly disagree with the emboldened statement.
Having learned Japanese to a reasonably high level, I was surprised upon beginning at just how simple it was. Once you learn the kana, everything is read out and pronounced exactly as is written, which is much easier than French in my eyes. The grammar is very simple, too. I understand that a different writing system appears daunting but it really isn't when you give it a go.
Chinese is similarly massively overrated in terms of difficulty. (I do speak it, before somebody questions my authenticity!)

However, OP, I agree with the sentiment about French and German in the post I quoted. As much as I adore German, it's simply not that widespread and economically in decline.

All things considered, I think Mandarin would be best, considering your degree and prospects. Spanish would be lovely, too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Since you're only studying one module, I would go for Spanish. Mandarin or Japanese will probably not be that easy to learn.

I'm not sure why you're being taught these things for only one module. If you want to work in business as a translator, you would need to spend a lot more time studying: if this is the case, I would go with Mandarin or Japanese (since these are both more in demand in the West and technically a little more important because of China and Japan's wealth and new industrialization).
Reply 12
Mandarin and Japanese are a waste of time unless you have years to devote to study,
why? the US government rates learning to speak mandarin as only slightly more difficult than learning to speak french or german.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending