The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks for the help guys, i already live in London -on this basis would you suggest moving out- i know its a matter of choice but im really confused!
Reply 21
Its the next three or four years of your life. Don't make your decision based on what people on an internet forum suggest! Where do YOU want to go? Where do YOU think you'll have the most fun? Where do YOU think you'll be the most successful?!
Reply 22
I need to do some serious research.
Reply 23
would you say UCL is significantly better than KCL?
Reply 24
pezz
would you say UCL is significantly better than KCL?

No.
Hi Everyone!

I HATE MANCHESTER!!!! Seriously.....I didnt even bother applying (because i was told not to bother by a stuck up admissioins tutor AFTER travelling 5 Hours to visit them, and having the grades.) Apparently anyone who has resat a single unit at As or A2 will be rejected (though i dont know how they can tell this on your application)

In my opinion their attitude is wrong and i have seen many people being accepted for Caimbridge and rejected from Manchester - so move over Oxbridge.

Artfultodger
Reply 26
Hey pezz, I am in kinda the same situation as you!! I have offers from the LSE and Nottingham. I live in Essex/Greater London so I would either be living at home or maybe stay in halls for one year at LSE and then move home. I personally thought Kings and LSE had an edge over Nottingham?? Maybe I'm wrong?? Arghhhhhh

xxxx
Reply 27
looks like people have narrowed thingsz down to nottingham and kings-but how to decide between the 2! been to open days-though they weren't much help!!!
Notts beats King's. King's is good, but i find it sort of overrated simply the fact that it is based in London. There's no way that anybody is going to convince me that teachings of Law in King's is better than Notts. Most people have the tendency to believe
Tier 1 = Oxbridge (this is undisputed)
Tier 2 = London Unis (LSE,KCL,UCL)
Tier 3 = rest of the law schools.

This is why most ppl tend to think that King's beat Notts!
Reply 29
Deathscythe HG
Notts beats King's. King's is good, but i find it sort of overrated simply the fact that it is based in London. There's no way that anybody is going to convince me that teachings of Law in King's is better than Notts. Most people have the tendency to believe
Tier 1 = Oxbridge (this is undisputed)
Tier 2 = London Unis (LSE,KCL,UCL)
Tier 3 = rest of the law schools.

This is why most ppl tend to think that King's beat Notts!
How can you say that Nottingham beats King's? Have you been to both universities and actually completed the course? I would say that there is very little different reputation-wise between KCL and Notts and that going to either will put you in good stead for a legal career.

As for your tier system, I would put Notts, Bristol, Durham and Warwick in the second tier along with the London unis. I believe that this would be relatively common.
Ok, what was the reason you apply to King's?
Reply 31
Deathscythe HG
Ok, what was the reason you apply to King's?
It's in London, relatively near to where I live, and has a great reputation for Law. The course also looks like it gives you a lot of choice in what you want to study.
Reply 32
I would go for KCL, followed by Notts, then Manc, although there really isn't a big difference between them. Going where you feel happiest might be the best option here!
Reply 33
I had KCL as my firm and Nottingham as my insurance and seriousley considered Manchester, I chose KCL cause ive always wanted to go to LondoN! but it turned out I missed my KCL offer and i'm at Nottingham now, and I have no basis for comparison cause I never got to experience KCL but I'm having a great time here, I never thought id miss my grade offer so I never even considered Nottingham and I really didn't wanna go but the Town is really compact, with all the main brandlines and clubs, it's a LOT cheaper than London and the Campus is just so beautiful! Your ultimate goal should be to get a job in London so if your going to live there anyway, y not expereince the beauty of campus university life first~ But it really doesn't matter I just think KCL sounds cooler~ reputation may be slightly better, may be slightly worse, Nottingham's the first university to expand to China and has already a campus in Malaysia, don't ignore that!~ but it's mostly what you make out of it and i'm sure u'll love it wherever you go! So just pick Nottingham cause u'll save a lot of money whilst loving it ^^
TommehR
It's in London, relatively near to where I live, and has a great reputation for Law. The course also looks like it gives you a lot of choice in what you want to study.

Ok, but don't you tend to get the feeling that when people mention KCL they always talk about the fact that it's based in London? You see you gave it as your first reason. So if we exclude the fact it's in London, would you still apply to KCL?
Reply 35
Deathscythe HG
Ok, but don't you tend to get the feeling that when people mention KCL they always talk about the fact that it's based in London? You see you gave it as your first reason. So if we exclude the fact it's in London, would you still apply to KCL?
You look far to into things, those reasons weren't in any particular order. And yes, I would have still applied there provided it was relatively close to where I live. I really want to go to London though.
Hmmmm.....
Reply 37
Deathscythe HG
So if we exclude the fact it's in London, would you still apply to KCL?

I would! KCL is more than just a London Uni :rolleyes:

Wherever it were based, KCL's Law school is still attended by some of the best academics and brightest students in a country with a renowned higher education system.

Obviously I don't have personal experience of any other Law schools, but I love King's, and I'd feel the same even if it was King's College Bognor.

... Almost :p:
Reply 38
To anyone who would like to know what do UNI STUDENTS in the Law departments ACTUALLY think: just go to the following site!!!

It is the rating from students studying law and it's not merely the RANKING, LEAGUE TABLE thing conducted in the TIME or GUARDIAN way. I myself, were struggling between King's Law and Manchester Law, but after seeing the uni students' response, I guess King's is a definite choice!!!

Please click the following link and see for yourself how King's Law department is rated. Hope it could help:smile:

And feel free to choose Manchester or Nottingham Law from the left column of the page too:biggrin:

http://212.135.140.45/sites/tqi/changeNavProperties.cfm?subject=22&CFID=262992&CFTOKEN=83889318&jsessionid=8c302766441141342105900

Offers:
King's (Law) AAB
Manchester (Law & Criminology) AAA
Lancaster (Law with Criminology) AAB
Reply 39
thanks but aren't there obvious flaws to this- oxbridge student data missing since more than half refused to respond-hmmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending