The Student Room Group

Am I screwed?

Ok so heres how it is.

I apply for uni 2011, don't get results I want and decide to retake a year of school.

I am retaking Biology A2 and Photography Unit 1 and 3 hopefully to get AB or BB

I have an ICT A level that is a D

I was originally going to retake the ICT A2 level but my teacher said it would be better if I just did an EPQ for more UCAS points so thats what I signed up for.

I emailed two Unis I was originally going to apply for (Nottingham and Leicester) and enquired about the chances of me getting an offer. They said they don't accept EPQs and that I need a minimum of C for my thrid A level.

I hate ICT and would do anything to not have to retake it but I also would really like the chance to go to one of these two Unis. The offers were around ABC - BBC

The course I want to apply for is Engineering with Foundation year.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Joeman560
Ok so heres how it is.

I apply for uni 2011, don't get results I want and decide to retake a year of school.

I am retaking Biology A2 and Photography Unit 1 and 3 hopefully to get AB or BB

I have an ICT A level that is a D

I was originally going to retake the ICT A2 level but my teacher said it would be better if I just did an EPQ for more UCAS points so thats what I signed up for.

I emailed two Unis I was originally going to apply for (Nottingham and Leicester) and enquired about the chances of me getting an offer. They said they don't accept EPQs and that I need a minimum of C for my thrid A level.

I hate ICT and would do anything to not have to retake it but I also would really like the chance to go to one of these two Unis. The offers were around ABC - BBC

The course I want to apply for is Engineering with Foundation year.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated :smile:

I don't think you have much of a choice, really. It'll have to be ICT unless you can start another AS in a different subject. It's very early in the year, so it should be possible. I wouldn't carry on with the EPQ if the universities won't accept it.
Try working for a while and see if it gives you the motivation to do the work required to get high grades. University is still education, and your academic track record does not indicate that you have the study skills or self discipline demanded by A2, let alone degree level, at this point in time. You can only ever get 4-years worth of student loans (unless you're a medic), so it's better to ensure that you start the course when you're at the right level to finish it, rather than get half way through year 2 having under-achieved up to that point, and then realising that you have no chance of going back and trying again.

Have you tried looking at a year in industry?

Also, Engineering courses generally require an A-level in Maths and/or Science. You might find it too difficult without the required knowledge, and employers might be reluctant to offer you internships (which you need for employment in engineering now)

Quick Reply

Latest