The Student Room Group

nightclubbing and age?

When I go out to straight clubs these days I don't find many nightclubs that are very age diverse. There seems to be very few people over the age of 30 in many clubs. I just wondered if this was other people's perceptions and if so why they think this is the case? I am 31 and have been going out clubbing once or twice a week since I was 16. My sister is nearly 41, enjoyed all the rave years and still goes out clubbing nearly every week. I also go to Ibiza regularly and feel like I want to keep living this lifestyle forever. Despite this I know many people past 30 don't always feel the same way and I have seen many of my friends melt away from the clubbing scene.

I know when people get older they often have different life pressures and more financial responsibility, however I don't feel that is all of the story. Many of those people still go out to the local pub, talk crap and play darts into the night. Also I find there are big variations between different groups and cultures. When I go to gay clubs I often see a much more age diverse set of people and age seems to be less of an issue. One guy I know goes out every week and is 65. Also in many other countries the clubbing scene seems to be more age diverse.

Just wondered what people think?
Reply 1
I can't speak for anyone else but I simply don't want to go clubbing anymore. I had very wild twenties but now I can't think of anything more bizarre than getting dressed up at the end of the day and paying loadsa money to do something that is going to hurt the next day. I have my husband so have no desire to mingle and impress others and if I do want to spend time with someone I like to actually be able to chat to them. Money is an issue, in my younger days I worked to pay for nights out, now I work to feed and clothe my children. Time is also an issue, I can't be laying in bed recovering the next morning when my children want to spend precious time with me. I expect if I was still single and/or childless I'd still go clubbing but for me, there are more important things.
Yeah, so it looks like I've reached middle age, lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending