The Student Room Group

Civil Partnership for Maximum Student Loan + Fees Paid

Just wondering what you thought.....

If your parents earnt too much and it meant that you only got 75% of the living cost loan and a loan for fees would you enter a civil parntership. When
going over the rules if you are married then yours and your partners income is solely assessed(if you are both students = 0). If you were both students would you for instance marry/civil partner your friend in order to make money???

Possible savings include:

Larger living cost loan
Bursary for tuition fees(Non repayable)

Scroll to see replies

Might not be a bad strategy, actually... :p:
Reply 2
Hmm - you could find yourself married to a complete horror. The novilty will wear off after graduation :wink:
Reply 3
Actually? Anyone know why this wouldn't work? I'm in a difficult situation with money and this might be my ticket to uni? I think i'e got someone stupid enough to marry me? just would it work and what are the possible downsides? i.e how much does a devorce cost?

A Civil Partnership cost £100 all togther, so £50 and you get the full loan?
Reply 4
drcreek
Actually? Anyone know why this wouldn't work? I'm in a difficult situation with money and this might be my ticket to uni? I think i'e got someone stupid enough to marry me? just would it work and what are the possible downsides? i.e how much does a devorce cost?

A Civil Partnership cost £100 all togther, so £50 and you get the full loan?

You need your partner to be a student or unemployed - otherwise their income is assessed in the same way parental income is taken into account for under 25's. you could end up with less money...

That's partially the reason my boyf and I haven't married.
Reply 5
Fluffy
You need your partner to be a student or unemployed - otherwise their income is assessed in the same way parental income is taken into account for under 25's. you could end up with less money...

That's partially the reason my boyf and I haven't married.

No he's a student and infact we applied to the same uni without even knowing? and he's in similer trouble to me.
i earn under £3000 a year and he aint got a job at all. Looks liek the best husband I could find! A completely useless one!

I checked out devorce and we can come to an out of court settlement just by filling in a few forms.

But the reason i'm going to such messures is my paretns don't want me to go and they earn to much for me to get the full loan and there saying there not going to give me anything to hekp me so i'm planning on going to london so i get the bigger loan and just live off tesco two stripe value stuff.
Reply 6
just don't let any of your friends find out!! :eek:
Reply 7
Well make sure your little friend signs a pre-nup then and have a happy wedding :biggrin:
Reply 8
lol yeh have a happy wedding but dont tell too maany people or else it could become a fad and catch on lol but i think i might i use it lol...hmm now to find a hubby
Reply 9
mtbab
lol yeh have a happy wedding
can I come to your gazelle night or whatever? :wink:
Reply 10
This is going ot be so lol

and after 3/4 year of uni i'm sure we'll both have done enough to have sutible grounds for devorce! :wink: though i have given this idea to my parents as a threat and it looks liek my dads going to cook his books so it's looks like he earns less! heh The threat of a gay marriage in the family? why didn't i think of it before?
Reply 11
JBacon
Well make sure your little friend signs a pre-nup then and have a happy wedding :biggrin:

Be careful, pre-nups are non-legally enforceable in the UK (basically a written contract that doesn't have to be kept to), so they're a bit useless if he decides he wants half of everything you've earned whilst married to him!!
But this is defnitely a good idea, and a non-repayable bursary?? Mwah ha ha...
Paddy
Reply 12
BY THE WAY...
You do all realise that civil partnership ceremonies end in the same way as normal ones? With a kiss :wink:
Paddy
paddy357
BY THE WAY...
You do all realise that civil partnership ceremonies end in the same way as normal ones? With a kiss :wink:
Paddy
:p: not a legal requirement
Reply 14
gianthead
:p: not a legal requirement

I got worried then.
Reply 15
drcreek
I got worried then.

:rofl:
Well I'm sure that you can just act really camp, although you're gonna be pretty screwed if the person goes "and you may now kiss the husband", the look on your faces would be priceless!!
Paddy
In all seriousness, my parents earn 50,000 - my boyfriend only 12,000. If I civil partnershipped him, do you reckon I'd get a much increased loan?

It's actually a really good idea.
Reply 17
I am surprised no one has come up with it before, or have they?

Invitation to Post: Did you, or anyone you know, marry a friend or even stranger for financial gain when it came to university loans.
Reply 18
Hell, I considered it in order to share a flat that didn't have an HMO licence...
Reply 19
theremotepart
In all seriousness, my parents earn 50,000 - my boyfriend only 12,000. If I civil partnershipped him, do you reckon I'd get a much increased loan?

It's actually a really good idea.

yup, Full loan and possible extras from the uni it's self as your a "Low-Income family/couple"

Latest

Trending

Trending