The Student Room Group

York Vs. Loughborough

For Mathematics (G100), I have two questions.

- Which of the two universities has a better reputation/emplo-ability/facilities etc for Maths?
-Which would be easier to get an offer from in your opinion? Both have the same grade requirements but I am unsure on the applications to offer ratios at each!

Thanks
Reply 1
bumpety bump bump
Whilst i cant help you on the maths side of things, they are both very good unis - But without being bias loughborough is an amazing uni...its won student satisfaction award for 5 years running so you will have an amazing experience. I would go for something you would enjoy allowing you to get the best out of it, seeing as both the unis are pretty similar
Reply 3
I would say that the universities are equally good mathematics departments; some people here will no doubt try and fool you by saying York is miles better. Both York and Loughborough boast medium sized departments, and both departments are actively involved with quality research.

York's undergraduate degree seems academically more traditional to me, and would probably be my preferred choice out of the two for that reason, whereas Loughborough's course seems more practical/applied with the benefit of work experience for a whole year.

The choice is a matter of preference, but I will say placement years can be quite valuable in terms of graduate employability.

Quick Reply

Latest